XP SP2 CD with Slipstreamed SATA/RAID Drivers

xper

Thats cool xper :thumbup

trying to compare to my methods

where a drive physically fails
:lol:

Sorry I just think thats funny. I have never and I mean ever had a drive fail, is it the manufacturer and or type or this bogus crud they trying to sell or promote? My first drive I ever personally had is still in use and has been formatted probably over 200 times including low level, its a Seagate. shhhh don't tell my inlaws :no:

Only drives I ever had problems with were Maxtor btw

where a drive physically fails
:lol:

Sorry I just think thats funny. I have never and I mean ever had a drive fail, is it the manufacturer and or type or this bogus crud they trying to sell or promote? My first drive I ever personally had is still in use and has been formatted probably over 200 times including low level, its a Seagate. shhhh don't tell my inlaws :no:

Only drives I ever had problems with were Maxtor btw

Consider yourself lucky. I've personally had 4 drives die on me, all within the last 5 years or so.

ok, great, just done all that is mentioned in the word doc, went to burn it and its bigger than a CD, the files to be burned are about 815MB in total

can you tell me where ive gone wrong on this, and please try and keep it simple for me, im new to all this slipstreaming stuff

thanks

@ Sandman, you have probably included some files, which are not needed - but we cant see which ones, so create a seperate thread - more people will see it that way and also describe fully what is in your drivers folder.

To Xper , just to say a quick thankyou on the guide, I found it so easy to follow - and thought you deserved alot of praise as you have put in alot of effort to make the guide. which is also like I said, very clear and easy to follow.

So thanks mate :thumbup

and I use the Maxtor ATA133 so yeah, it's gonna beat the WD because those are only ATA100

bullcrap...

maximur real read/write speed on those disks is around 20-25MB/s

so the difference between ata100 and ata133 is obsolete.

plus the maxtor drivers have the highest rate of suddenly crapping out on you.

• 3 weeks later...

... let me start by saying ... sorry. I didn't mean to post this rant type post.

but ... I had to register on this forum just to reply to this lunacy.

just seems there should be an easier way :realmad:
Of course not. We're geeks we don't do things the easy way.
Good reason to stay with parallel ATA in my opinion

that, and I haven't seen real speed benefits that outweight the risks involved with raid

I just don't know where to start with this. I actually don't know if i can reply with out getting out of control. Where did you ... no ... how on earth could you ... no ... good god man what the ... no ... what tests did you run ... ah, ffs. SATA + raid not faster than ata. <sigh> i have 2 sata drives in raid1 that on there own had better data read ( not sustained ) than my SCSI 160 drive.

You sold PC's at future shop, didn't you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks for the Doc. Looks really good - even if all you did was re-wright it. :rolleyes: I haven't had the time to actualy test it, but I have already successfuly made my own Unattended Slipsteamed CD of Windows XP Pro W/ SP2. (Works Great, Good Time Saver).

And just for the Record, I love Maxtor. WD Second. And YES! - SATA Has Better Performance. :P

(Man, stupid people theses days.... :whistle: )

just seems there should be an easier way :realmad:

Of course not. We're geeks we don't do things the easy way.

Yes!!! That's what I'm Talking about... :thumbup:thumbup .

Finnaly someone else that knows what I'm talking about. ;)

It's easier to do it the way the .doc file describes. I've always slipstreamed my (E)IDE/SATA drivers that way since finding these forums but it DOES work. I use recovery tools like O&O BlueCon and I honestly don't know how they would react to a textmode folder with stuff jammed in it.

As to the IDE/SATA issue...WTF...Of course it's faster. Do a little reading and compare the two. I myself personally don't use raid arrays. I do use SATA drives for everyday use. About the only action my IDE drives see these days is for archival, general storage and disk imaging. I'll be so glad when all the old stuff is finally laid to rest.

@maxXPsoft

Sorry I just think thats funny. I have never and I mean ever had a drive fail

I used to work at a PC wholesalers in UK, (fairly small firm with a turnover of GBP16M) as a test engineer on the customer returns dept and let me tell you we used to get a min of 25-30 hard disks physically fail a WEEK.

@et al

Yes we did get more Maxtors back than anything else, very closely followed by Hitachi, then Samsung, then IBM (although to be fair IBM tended to fail in whole batches - does this make 'em ok then?!).

1. Western Digital and 2. Seagate (in that order) are the most reliable IMHO.

i like Hitachi. Sure I run the risk of them failing, but they have a 3 year warranty compared to the 1 year most others have. If I keep things backup, I don't really care that it fails, I have a few spares in the closet ready to go with WIndows installed and everything just to put it in the system.

i like Hitachi

@Alanoll

My last post wasn't meant to be the ultimate buyers' guide for purchasing harddisks! Go with what you're confident with. It was just a report of the facts in my personal experience of harddisk failures. It wasn't a scientific experiment and results from other wholesalers may be different.

I think its a very classic case of you get what you pay for. The results virtually mimic the value.