HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

Great Grandma's Spatula, MS has done it yet again.

And Tomcat76's 100% right, the IE downloads are unavailable. Nice.

Maybe MS will just decide to issue to new rollup with these files. HA HA HA!! I kill me. Too funny. Imagine, such a sensible thing.

Allright, just alerted TommyP.

Keep your eye on this space.

The other four hotfixes are available for download...

KB899588

KB893756

KB899587

KB896423

Edit...

Here's a fifth one, also from 9th August, which wasn't presented to me during WU:

KB899591

Edit #2...

SecurityFocus and Symantec aren't aware of the download problems yet... What a "solution"... :)

Edited by Tomcat76

@eatkus - Please post your original prodspec.ini file from your source folder.

@Tomcat76 - Do you have enough hard drive space when you run hfslip? It needs a few gig of space to run correctly. Also, I'm not sure what you're saying with the rebooting. The sourcess doesn't have an installation with an automatic reboot. BTW, the nature of the iexplore.ext program is a hidden file. You'll have to view it through windows explorer if you are viewing hidden and system files. If in doubt, click start/run and type in "iexplore.exe" and IE should start up. Last point with IE, the script has the IE desktop icon hidden. If you want to show it, there are instructions in the zip file.

@Tomcat76 - Do you have enough hard drive space when you run hfslip?  It needs a few gig of space to run correctly.
I'm doing it on an empty 8 gig partition... Should be enough I think...
Also, I'm not sure what you're saying with the rebooting.  The sourcess doesn't have an installation with an automatic reboot.
Sorry; I wanted to keep it short. I make a bootable CD with the content of the SOURCESS folder and install Win2K from it. When installation has completed, I click OK at the dialog to reboot the machine. What happens next is that the dialog goes away and then the background wallpaper, showing me only a green background color and a mouse cursor. But it stays like that... The system doesn't reboot.
BTW, the nature of the iexplore.ext program is a hidden file.  You'll have to view it through windows explorer if you are viewing hidden and system files.  If in doubt, click start/run and type in "iexplore.exe" and IE should start up.  Last point with IE, the script has the IE desktop icon hidden.  If you want to show it, there are instructions in the zip file.
Nothing was hidden from me at the previous attempts -- only the last one. I think it's because of the new hotfixes so I'll make another CD now to verify that.

I'm using DVD+RWs... :thumbup

Update...

I've removed the latest hotfixes, made a new DVD (not CD as I mentioned before) and installed it. I was again presented a "Digital signature not found" window so it's not related to the new hotfixes.

This time, I pressed the "More info" button and the file that wants to be installed is "setup50.ex_" from the DVD's I386 folder. The type is "Sound, video & game controller".

After logging in, winlogon.exe came up again with the beforementioned result.

I'd sure like to nail this one.

Since this only happened with the last two slipstreams, the two remaining possibilities are:

- scripten.exe

- putting rootsupd.exe in the HF folder instead of in the SVPK_SW folder

On a positive note, the reboot problem is caused by the floppy drivers for my nForce4 SATA controller. I did the unattended installations on a parallel ATA drive because you can't install mass storage drivers from a floppy during an unattend (at least not via the "F6" method), which is why the reboot problem didn't occur then. I've installed the latest slipstream on a PATA drive (non-unattended) and I had no reboot problem.

Tomcat76 glad to hear the reboot issue is resolved at least in terms of HFSLIP.

Setup50.exe is, far as I know, an Outlook file. Sound, video, game controller error is a DX issue, and I can't imagine how it's related to setup50.

expand setup50 and check its version and report back. i don't believe any of the rest of us are getting a DigSig error; this happens when MS thinks a file has been modified usually (to state the obvious). maybe if we supply you with a known good setup50 for ie 5 or 6, whatever you're using, it will take care of the problem... the more i think about it the more i believe it's corrupted.

can't think of what scripten might have to do with it, either.

Edited by fdv

It apparantly fixed the problem anyway.

I relocated scripten.exe as well as rootsupd.exe into SVPK_SW and the Windows installation now ends like it should (ie, without Digital Signature warning, and without the winlogon.exe error).

I've also replaced the five new hotfixes that can be downloaded, and WU is all cool (except for the IE cumulative but that's one big "du'h" ;)).

The problem with JScript 5.6 seems to have arisen again, though. I'm going to put back the 5.1 update...

@Tomcat76. There isn't any issues of note with your scripten hotfix versionwise(which is really the version of jscript). I may suggest to run the microsoft baseline analyzer and see what that reports. Why are you so insistent on installing the 5.1 script? It just won't work with IE6, so don't waste your time with it. That was discussed on another thread, which has absolutely no bearing on this one. By the way, can you read your source\i386\prodspec.ini file and see if it says "Localization=English" in it? Can you post the filenames of the files in your hf folder?

Why are you so insistent on installing the 5.1 script?
It's not that I want it. It's the only way to keep Windows Update happy. If I don't include the 5.6 update, WU complains. If I include 5.6, WU complains. If I include 5.1, WU no longer complains.
By the way, can you read your source\i386\prodspec.ini file and see if it says "Localization=English" in it?
Yes; it's in there.
Can you post the filenames of the files in your hf folder?
Sure.

ENU_Q832483_MDAC_x86.EXE

IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe

IE6.0sp1-KB833989-x86-ENU.exe

IE6.0sp1-KB883939-Windows-2000-XP-x86-ENU.exe

IE-KB903235-x86-ENU.exe

msxmlcab.exe

oe6.0sp1-KB897715-Windows-2000-XP-x86-ENU.exe

Windows2000-KB840987-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB842773-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB885834-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB890046-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB891861-x86-ENU.exe

Windows2000-KB893756-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB894320-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB896358-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB896422-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB896423-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB899587-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB899588-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB899591-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB901214-x86-ENU.EXE

WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

WindowsMedia9-KB885492-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe

Edited by Tomcat76

It's the only way to keep Windows Update happy. If I don't include the 5.6 update, WU complains. If I include 5.6, WU complains. If I include 5.1, WU no longer complains.

Okay I gotta ask Tomcat76, why do you want to make Windows Update happy?

It all boils down to an obscure legal decision with MS Java, and WinUpdate would replace the DLL in question with an earlier one not because it's better but because of the obscure licensing issue. Anyway, my larger point, not flaming, just asking... In one month MS will no doubt issue hotfixes and WinUpdate will complain again. What is this thing with making it happy? :P:P

Just curious.

I may suggest to run the microsoft baseline analyzer and see what that reports.
Windows Security Updates:

814078: Security Update (Microsoft Jscript version 5.6, Windows 2000, Windows XP)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB896727)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - August 2005 (KB890830)

--> That's deliberate for the last two; I haven't made a slipstream yet which includes 896727, and the other... well... :whistle:

File System:

Not all hard drives are using the NTFS file system.

--> One partition... 1.26GB... for DOS access... Come on... B)

Restrict Anonymous:

Computer is running with RestrictAnonymous = 0. This level allows basic enumeration of user accounts, account policies, and system information. Set RestrictAnonymous = 2 to ensure maximum security.

--> Eh? :blink:

Automatic Updates:

The Automatic Updates feature has not been configured on this computer. Please use the Control Panel to configure Automatic Updates.

--> Yeah, I know... If I want to update I'll do it myself...

Password Expiration:

Some user accounts (2 of 3) have non-expiring passwords.

--> OK... :huh: