J2SE 5.0 has gone final

RyanVM

I'd be happy to try out some test builds, because the installer works sometimes but sometimes it restarts (mostly when run from RunOnceEX right after a clean Windows XP SP2 install). That's also the reason why I've stopped working with my unattended install project :B

I just ran manually the jre5.exe (not unattended, just double clicked it) and it rebooted on me. I'll try again see if it does it all the time, I'll try unpacked, see if it still does it too...

[edit] Futher attempts have not rebooted *yet*... Hopefully it doesn't happen again! (worst case scenario, I'll just move it before the final reboot hehe)

I've got another idea too regarding the restart issues. msiexec can be called with a /norestart switch (at least in SP2).

RyanVM, I've also been unable to get Java to install without prompting me to reboot. I've written my own script rather than using your package, but the command to install should pretty much be the same:

msiexec.exe /i "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0.msi" /qb /norestart ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 JAVAUPDATE=0 WEBSTARTICON=0 REBOOT=ReallySuppress

I tried adding the /noreboot option at your suggestion (good catch, btw - I hadn't realized MS introduced this in SP2), but still no luck.

Any ideas what else to try? Thanks.

Hmm... after looking into this further, it appears that Microsoft included a completely new version of Windows Installer with SP2 - version 3.00.3790.2180. The /norestart option mentioned earlier is valid for this version, and is intended to replace the REBOOT property. Here's the command line options for the new version (which I had to find to google, as MS seems to only be linking to v2.0 options):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ine_options.asp

I tried modifying my script to call it with all valid v3.0 options:

msiexec.exe /package "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0.msi" /passive /norestart ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 JAVAUPDATE=0 WEBSTARTICON=0

However, this still fails. :realmad:

Have to admit, I'm getting pretty frustrated with this. I'd definitely be interested in hearing if anyone else figures this out.

Thanks.

just something to try, but try renaming it to jre5.msi and try this...if you call it from within windows, you shouldnt really need msiexec...Ive installed quite a few msi's without using msiexec in the commandline...so give this a shot, I also switched the order...

"jre5.msi ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 JAVAUPDATE=0 WEBSTARTICON=0 /passive /norestart"

I actually experienced a reboot the other day after double clicking the exe to run it. Figures...

EDIT: And evilvoice, there's a reason it has to be called via msiexec. but I forget what it is off the top of my head.

I use also the official msi from Sun, but with these commands during RunOnceEx:

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /VE /D "Sun Java VM 5.0" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 1 /D "%CDDRIVE%install\SunJava\jre50.msi /qb Reboot=ReallySuppress /quiet /passive /norestart ADDLOCAL=jrecore,extra IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 JAVAUPDATE=0 WEBSTARTICON=0 SYSTRAY=0" /f

Works perfectly and system doesn't reboot!

to use 7zip and make a self extractor, you must use msiexec.exe...I tested a couple of things with 7zip and "startx msiexec" was the only thing that worked...but for those not using 7zip, you should be able to just run the msi file without msiexec being in your command. Honestly, I never got this restart thing, but I did rebuild taking out some switches that dont work and using sp2 msiexec commands...so I dunno if it will work for everyone or just me (since I never had the reboot problem, I have no idea)...but I guess I could tell ryanvm what I used and see if he gets the reboot...one question to anyone who wants to try this...is it rebooting everytime? only when installed with the rest of your programs...does it reboot if you run it after windows is installed, set up and working? mainly, I need to know if it reboots after windows is installed (cuz thats how I have done my testing) if it does reboot then, then I could let anyone test...if not, then anyone who wants to try is welcome, but no guarantees, I can just say when I doubleclick the exe, it doesnt restart. Possibly there is a need for 2 java packages...one for sp2 using the msiexec switches for sp2 and one for sp1 for those who do not have msiexec 3.0.xxxxxx (dunno the trailing numbers)

Ok, thinking the rebooting problem was a "just once" type of problem I decided to add it to my unattended dvd. Sure enough, 3 installs in a row it did reset the computer...

I'll be trying calling the msi file directly instead...

@evilvoice yes, my first reboot did happen on a system where windows is "installed, set up and working", but that was just the once it happened, couldn't reproduce it afterwards, but now from a system "during install" it reboots every single time...

Hopefully calling the msi will work. I'll try again soon and report my findings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Is there any update yet on this rebooting problem??

I'd really like to use this installer, but the rebooting issue is not very convenient.

I temporarily fixed it in RunOnceEx by calling a sleep command after using the installer, but of course it would be very nice if it would just work.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hey Guys,

Is there any update yet on this rebooting problem??

I'd really like to use this installer, but the rebooting issue is not very convenient.

I temporarily fixed it in RunOnceEx by calling a sleep command after using the installer, but of course it would be very nice if it would just work.

Thanks a lot in advance.

try this:

Silent Installation for J2SDK

and I use this vbscript code (j2re.vbs) to set PATH environment variable

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
   & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set PathVariables = objWMIService.ExecQuery( "Select * from Win32_Environment where " & _
 "Name = 'Path' and Username='<system>'" )
For Each EnvVar in PathVariables
       EnvVar.VariableValue = EnvVar.VariableValue & ";%programfiles%\Java\jre1.5.0\bin"
       EnvVar.Put_
Next

and This registry file ( j2re.reg ) to set JAVA_HOME environment variable

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]
"JAVA_HOME"=hex(2):25,00,70,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,66,00,69,00,\
 6c,00,65,00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,4a,00,61,00,76,00,61,00,5c,00,6a,00,72,00,65,\
 00,31,00,2e,00,35,00,2e,00,30,00,00,00

default installed directory is %programfiles%\Java\J2RE1.5.0\ !

I'm going to put together some test builds again real shortly. I've been able to reproduce the restart issue when running the EXE from within Windows (with a double click). However, it doesn't restart when called from a batch file called during the GuiRunOnce stage. Go figure.

Anyways, I've got some ideas to try out and I'll need some people with extra free time to test them. It'll be 3-4 different versions and I'll need you guys to try them all out and see which ones work and which ones don't.