J2SE 5.0 has gone final

RyanVM

i tried using the switchless version from ryanvm's page.  it forces me to reboot...

(I only called the exe, without switches, like it says to)

If you would have taken the time to read the thread, you'd know that the reboot problems are well known about already.

The good news is that I have yet to see a reboot in my early playing around with the updated release. I'll probably post that new release within a couple days (going to be having very limited internet access shortly).

I know poor RyanVm has bandwidth issues.. I see one file is mirrored elsewhere (thanks) but I dont see the Java VM mirrored in Ryan's pack.

I'd be happy enough to get the thing in my Hotmail and I'm not about to complain about rebooting... like it has been said I could always put it at the end of the install!

Yeah, that's exactly what I have done. In fact, I extracted the MSI out of Java's own package, just to see what would happen, and IT reboots as well. So Ryan, don't think it's you.

I just tack it on to the end of my apps install script and the PC reboots like clockwork. No shutdown.exe needed. ;-)

JP

I just tack it on to the end of my apps install script and the PC reboots like clockwork.  No shutdown.exe needed.  ;-)

Obviously that is a solution.

But hopefully when RyanVM's bandwidth comes back up, there'll be a fixed version, which we can install whenever we want without having to reboot.

<fingers crossed>

YES! I got it to work with the updated version in RunOnceEx using the following:

REG ADD %KEY%\65 /VE /D "Sun JRE 1.5.0.01" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\65 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Software\JRE5.exe /s /v\"/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore,extra IEXPLORER=1 REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0\"" /f

See the thread in my signature if you want access to my FTP.

It appears in my early testing that Update 1 doesn't have the restart issues which have plagued the initial release so badly. I'll of course want some people who've had restart problems to try it out and let me know.

Send me a PM if you're interested in being my guinea pig.

I'm not sure if this helps or not...

but on the page describing silent installs on the sun java page (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/deployment/deployment-guide/silent.html) it says, and I quote:

REBOOT=Suppress, if used, indicates that if locked files are encountered the computer should not be rebooted

So, I'm thinking that even though we think we're telling it not to reboot, it WILL reboot because setup doesn't encounter any "locked files"... and thus the computer reboots. It might also explain why some people's computers are rebooting, and some other's are not. Different files are being used on each person's computer.

EDIT: I POSSIBLY may have got this to install properly without reboot. I'm just executing this from Start -> Run.... I'm using the installer from java.sun.com version 1.5.0 Update 1 with the switches:

jre5.exe /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0"

I've got a switchless installer for Update 1 created, but nobody has PMed me to test it yet. My tests indicate that things are working fine, but I was only ever able to reproduce the restarts in one way (double clicking the exe from the desktop to run it).