J2SE 5.0 has gone final

RyanVM

I have a couple of peeves with Java. Among others are that it insist on creating a desktop shortcut and a start menu shortcut for JWS. I also am not fond of the autoupdate feature or the tray icon. If any of you also can't stand this, I made an mst file to get rid of these little annoyances from your installation. You can always turn the stuff on later from the Java CP if you want to.

I tested the mst out on Win XP SP2 using VMware.

jre5.mst

5.0 doesn't create the desktop shortcut. And I already said that mine doesn't install the Autoupdate component.

I deploy Java through GP quite a bit and the only way to modify things when you deploy that way is either direct msi editing or creating an mst file.

I really prefer mass deployment through a GPO since you can later recall the application with a couple mouse clicks.

RyanVM, thanx for another all-in-one-program pack ;)

After the clean install XPSP2 (slipstreamed) with reg tweaks, and all necessary (J2RE 1.4.5 also) I'm having some strange problems with Java chat page(s).

If i run this in background and in "front" some other program(s), this IE+Java window after some minutes just dissappears :blink:

No error dialog, no nothing.

Just dissappears.

First i thought that it was some IE stuff, installed Firefox too, but it was the same.

Then I realised that it must be a XPSP2 - Java 1.4.5 combination, because 1.4.5 on XPSP1 worked with no problem.

I'm hoping that 1.5.0 would solve this problem...

Should I first uninstall 1.4.5 or just to run the repackaged 1.5.0? :D