J2SE 5.0 has gone final

RyanVM

Ryan,

I tried to download the latest from your website, and it rebooted again. More than that, it bypassed a shutdown command I had issued with a 120 second delay and logged off immediately.

Very odd indeed. Here's my setup:

Any PC I build on

- WinXP SP2 - no other modifications or patches

- CMD file run from GuiRunOnce (desktop not loaded yet)

- I also copied the file to the desktop and double-clicked - rebooted

- This is the jre5.exe listed at the first page, first post.

Thanks,

JP

Ryan,

Actually, when I said "I tried to download the latest from your website", that's the exact place I went to download it. Have you modified the binary since yesterday?

If not, then the version that is there is still exhibiting the reboot problem.

Thanks,

JP

RyanVM, I'll be the first (well probably not the first) to say "THANKS SO MUCH" for all your hard work. I know you are trying (completely unselfishly, I might add) to help others out here.

What I've had to get through my thick head is that, with all of people's helps/tricks/repackaged files and such here..I will still run into problems/errors/things not working.

Now, 95% of the time it's my fault. But, that other 5% is like biology - randomness in the equation relating to people's hardware, software, geographic location, and phases of the moon in their part of the country.

Hence, I've also got to accept that not everything will work just as it does for others.

I, too was unable to effectively use your repackaged J2SE file. I downloaded the version from Sun and have now gotten that to work silently, to the directory I wish, and with no reboot...but it took a couple of weeks! 8-)

So, don't be disheartened, and know that many many people are sleeping easier at night knowing they've successfully saved a few MB on their install CD and have had to do away with annoying switches while executing their setup files... :)

Ran

Yes RyanVM - I really like the way you handle your repackaging of applications. Great job.

I'd like to be able to duplicate these myself sometime. I have a couple questions:

Could you direct me to some information on using 7-Zip to SFX. For example - how do you tell it the executable and paramaters to run?

How do you find all these cool parameters to pass to MSI files... For example, the MOZILLA=1 in the JRE package you just did.

Here's my goal:

I'd have manually install those **** VMWare Tools on my virtual test builds. But I need to custom install it everytime because I have to disable the "Shared Folders" (it interferes with my NFS Client). I'd love to be able to silently install VMWare Tools without the "Shared Folders" feature from a re-packaged SFX. If you were me, and be glad you arn't :), where would you start?

Yes RyanVM - I really like the way you handle your repackaging of applications. Great job.

I'd like to be able to duplicate these myself sometime. I have a couple questions:

Could you direct me to some information on using 7-Zip to SFX. For example - how do you tell it the executable and paramaters to run?

It's in the 7-zip help files (I know, crazy place to look! :P)
How do you find all these cool parameters to pass to MSI files... For example, the MOZILLA=1 in the JRE package you just did.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/...ide/silent.html

I found the easiest thing to do is to edit the msi file directly or make a corresponding mst file. This way all you have to do is use a /qn switch. If anything, this also lets you examine what components have been made mandatory by the publisher and then make them optional (direct msi edit method only).

It also gives a pretty good idea as to which switches are available and their options.

Hey RyanVM,

I'm sure I'm not the only one when I say thanks for taking the time and effort for create these 'switchless' packs. Since I am interested in creating some of my own for my unattended CD -- I wondered if you could give me some guidance...

With the use of the 7zip help file, I've created a SFX installer using the appropriate SFX module, config file and 7zip archive. However, I am unable to launch Msiexec let alone pass the name of the .msi file with its switches to it.

This led to me using the StartX program which you have included in your switchless archive. Using that I'm able to launch Msiexec no problem, but I'm unsure how to tell it the path to my extracted .msi file since it randomly changes each time the archive is extracted.

Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from and no doubt your advice will not only benefit me, but also other members here on these forums. :)

Thanks in advance,

Cee-Kay

<snip>...but I'm unsure how to tell it the path to my extracted .msi file since it randomly changes each time the archive is extracted.

<snip>

Cee-Kay,

You should repackage the extracted files directly.

That is,

1. run the original installer and allow it to unpack the files.

2. Locate the directory (in Local settings/temp usually) and copy paste that directory somewhere else.

3. Cancel the installer.

You now have the extracted files. You can simply create an executable .exe 7zip archive from that folder - and you will now know exactly where the files are being unzipped.

Ran

Thanks both RyanVM and ran for your help. :)

Below I have included a sample of the file I'm using. As you said you don't need a path for StartX to run since it automatically runs it from the extracted path...

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="StartX.exe msiexec"
;!@InstallEnd@!

As expected the Installer runs Msiexec no problem, however as soon as I add the filename of the .msi file to install I get a "Failed in call to CreateProcess, Error: 193" error message. Is this because I need to provide a path to the .msi file?

EDIT: I found something else in the 7zip help file...

Command for executing. substring %%T will be replaced with path to temporary folder, where files were extracted

Therefore I changed the file to read...

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="StartX.exe msiexec /i %%T\JRE5.msi <switches>"
;!@InstallEnd@!

But I get an error message except it says Error: 2 instead. Any ideas? :(

Edited by Cee-Kay

Here's what I use. Don't forget that you need to save the text file in UTF-8 format.

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="StartX.exe /WAIT \"msiexec /i jre5.msi /qb-! ADDLOCAL=jrecore,extra IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress\""
;!@InstallEnd@!