Registry Tweaks

disabledtrucker,

i've removed that key from registry and also other keys in that policies\explorer folder in registry, rebooted and still no programs

also made a search in registry for this key "NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList"=dword:00000000

and didn't find any, also made a search at johnydo's file for a repeted key and did'nt find any.

what a hell is causing this to happen? i've cheked the explorer section at johnydo's file and i see nothing related with this except the 2 lines i've comment befero installation.

help me with this one guys. i ran out of ideas.

BTW, ppl using johnydo's file, ain't this happening to you to?

I'm still having same problem too

All corrections/suggestions/additions upto this point taken.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Attachment in first post updated, with many new tweaks. Lots of Interesting ones now. Bumped up version of the new tweaks file to v1.5. Enjoy!

PHEW!!! Enjoy the fruits of 7 hours of labour over this. Heck, it has taken so long to make this, that it will be an injustice to not have a look at the new tweaks/settings in this file. (Of course, those who been around over here since a long time already know the tweaks in it, but its nice to have it all in one place). Make use of it judiciously. As always, use only the tweaks which you can understand what it does. Directly merging the new .REG file, and then complaining about modifications to the system that you don't know to reverse is not supported. The attachment is now a text file. You need to download the ZIP, extract the .TXT, and copy/paste only the tweaks you want into a different .REG file. Critically sensitive tweaks have been commented out - you need to remove the ";" to use it.

Hoverhead, your contribution was added and sorted too, cheers for you too. If anybody has more tweaks to contribute, please use the attached-in-first-post-of-this-thread file as a base, and submit ONLY the differences/new-tweaks, so that its easy to merge them into the file for the next release version (lol, never heard of .REG releases, ha ha). And also, we only come across "problems with the tweak file" simply because those for whom the regtweaks were useful/successful don't post back - let's see if that changes this time with bouquets as well, instead of brickbats alone. :lol: *hopefully*

The following tweak don't seem to do anything. Did anyone get these to work? Just curious.

;Remove Balloon Tips on Start Menu items
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSMBalloonTip"=dword:00000001

;Remove Start Button Balloon Tip
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"StartButtonBalloonTip"=dword:00000000

What's the regkey to add control panel in my computer?

The key to auto arrange desktop shortcuts

;Show Control Panel In My Computer

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideMyComputerIcons]

"{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

;Show Control Panel In My Computer

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideMyComputerIcons]

"{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

@prathapml...you of all people should know this...HKU reg keys should not be used...there are quite a few in the newly released reg tweaks...please, either find their location in HKLM or HKCU or take them out...and at everyone looking for reg tweaks or posting reg tweaks, be aware that while HKU may work on your current install of windows, it almost definitely will not work on a new install as the SID changes, and therefore you might end up with a corrupted windows...This goes for everyone as I have looked at almost all posts and a few have an HKU entry in their attachments...Im just trying to help people out...and if I feel like it, I will post mine up...I just havent decided whether I want to or not...mostly because mine is not seperated or commented like everyone else's seems to be, but if people do want to see it, I am more than willing to post mine up...It includes quite a bit...almost none are repeated (except for HKCU/HKLM dual settings) but seriously, HKU should never be used in an unattended cd...

And if you wanna know the first place it oocurs, goto where cache is set for 2mb

@evilvoice, I agree with you that HKCU keys should be avoided if possible. But then...

1. Its too much of a time-consuming job to find alternatives.

2. Its easy to apply them at T-12, through cmdlines.txt

And yes, you are welcome to post the reg tweaks you use (as an attachment, of course). I'd like to have a look at that too, though it'd be probably years before I could manage to synchronize your tweaks to mine to the one posted in first-post, lol. I doubt the lack of commenting/sorting would scare off the visitors to this thread - in most cases, the tweaks are themselves pretty self-explanatory.

well, I guess here goes...I do not take credit for any of the tweaks, none of this is my own work...I have taken some from here and there, fixed some that didnt seem to work, and even combined some methods for one to work for another I wanted...but anyways, with that being said, this is what I apply to every machine I install...one note...if some people have dsl, some of the settings need to be edited...usually they have in them the word dsl...if you set it from 3 or 4 to 2 your dsl will work...rename txt to rar...since it seems I cant upload rar files...btw what the hell kind of file can I upload...it seems like everything I try to attach always comes back with "You cannot upload this type of file"

NOTE: I know the detail with status bar is wrong...it enables detail view, but not the status bar...and a warning...before people think they have found an ultraiso key in my reg file, I urge you not to apply it or you could render your ultraiso as non working (I changed the reg key around so it doesnt work...I dont know if ultraiso has a "delete program if wrong key is entered and past trial date" but thats why i urge you not to try it and the attachment has been changed so people dont apply the reg by accident).

Does anyone know

-how to disable visual effects?

-add control panel in start menu, i tried creating a folder named:

Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D} it works but the id is still visible in the start menu

-enable auto arrange by default when install is done

-disable hibernation mode

-set Turn off monitor after 1 hour

That's all :>)

and thx war59312 for the key

just a few bugs i guess...

;-----
;----- Remove the Logoff Button
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"StartMenuLogoff"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"StartMenuLogoff"=dword:00000000

that doesnt work... well not for me.

and...

;-----
;-----  Adds Registry Editor right click of MY Computer
;-----
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}]
"LocalizedString"=hex(2):25,55,53,45,52,4e,41,4d,45,25,27,73,20,43,6f,6d,70,75,74,65,72,00

that part of that tweak causes bad naughties... "My Computer" turns into "? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? r"

Lol, Godan is right, i've tested that tweak and it happens the same to me.

;----- Adds Registry Editor right click of MY Computer

;-----

"LocalizedString"=hex(2):25,55,53,45,52,4e,41,4d,45,25,27,73,20,43,6f,6d,70,75,74,65,72,00

that part of that tweak causes bad naughties... "My Computer" turns into "? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? r"

BTW, it opens the registry editor with no issues, only my computer names changes to that ugly thing.

Only thing I can find on user account pics is this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Hints]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Hints\User1]
@=""
"PictureSource"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\User Account Pictures\\Default Pictures\\palm tree.bmp"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Hints\User2]
@=""
"PictureSource"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\User Account Pictures\\Default Pictures\\astronaut.bmp"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Hints\User3]
@=""
"PictureSource"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\User Account Pictures\\Default Pictures\\skater.bmp"

It may not be a registry entry, some of the themes will remove the user account pic, which is where I think it's at, in shell32.dll the information for placing the pic itself.

HTH

Edited by DisabledTrucker

Thank You for sharing these regtweaks, always finding some new great ones.

I know this doesnt fix the My Computer misnomer, but it will rename it correctly:

;Correctly renames My Computer.
@="My Computer"
"LocalizedString"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,\
6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,\
00,5c,00,53,00,48,00,45,00,4c,00,4c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,\
2c,00,2d,00,39,00,32,00,31,00,36,00,00,00