• avarage
    • not too good
    • bad
    • terrible
    • give's me a headache!
    • going to be SICK!
    • IT'S MY WORST NIGHTMARE!!!!!

I wonder why but when I installed a clean WinXP SP2, I get many errors,

i.e. iexplore.exe, setiathome.exe, windows stuffs e.t.c..

I just get many errors for just turning on my computer and doing nothing.

I've never had any major problems w/ service packs until WinXP SP2 but this SP2 gives me a head ache.

Hi everyone!

On the first day that SP2 comes out, I instaled on my computer at work for tests... Then after 2 days I and my partners install it on 6 more pc's... After one week whitout problems we implemented it to the rest of the organization (+/- 300 workstations). No problems related/ reported with SP2...

I have SP2 instaled for almost 3 weeks and nothing bad to report... All aplizs continue to work fine and no hang ups or bluescreens (hopefully :)

[]

SteelWarrioR

Same situation here, Steel. I've installed it on both of my personal computers, all the work computers with XP (4 office, 3 demo) and all system builds are now going out the door with SP2 slipstreamed into the install. Also, any new machines that come in (providing they don't have a corp key on them, in which case we shove it real hard back at the customer :) ), gets an update to SP2 once we've removed any adware/spyware/viruses that could cause a problem on update. It's all working so far. Oh, and the list of apps that are "broken" by SP2 is only related to network connectivity. It's the firewall that "breaks" them. You just have to either open the ports needed or disable the built-in firewall and no breaking.

Voted average since only 1 out 4 machines I installed it was useable after install ... However, that one pc that did work properly was my tablet pc, which, as some of you know, benefits alot from SP2, which upgrades the OS to "Lonestar" or Windows Xp Tablet PC Edition 2005... This is the only reason as to why I did'n rate SP2 as "The service pack of total doom" ... :)

I gave it a great. At home it worked flawlessly. At work, it failed on about 5 out of 400 computers. Upon further investigation, those 5 machines had users with local admin rights, and guess what, they were loaded with spyware. Ran a spyware scan off a boot disk, ran it again after booting, and then the install worked just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not a mod but i'd move this to polls section maybe?

anyways despite some annoying new stuff like dep and stupid activex and pop-up stuff and security center its good :D

well its probably good for average users but i'm very very annoyed by them and also average user, when trying something for the first time say he wants to open up a webpage and it has flash animation or something or something that uses activex they'd be stuck and be looking at a blank page with active X warning, and most ppl who are afraid of doing something wrong won't even click that button to learn more, and will have to call tech support for just watching a flash animation

I think thats kindda stupid, but they've to somehow prevent the junkware from stepping in....

ow and the annoying firewall!, my friend installed his sp2 cd, didn't want me to add some stuff to it, so he installed everything and complained about his internet not working properly, guess what sp2 firewall :D..

anyways its good to have sp2 bc this way I don't have to add all those hotfixes to the install :D and thanks to nlite i can install xp in no time :D

Do'H! edit voted bad for the issues stated below...

im having some local connectivity issues. recently moved, everything worked fine before the move, moved, got my workstation set up and installed sp2. next day i set up my server.

cut and past from another forum cause im too lazy to retype it :P

ive got a 2003 server that is running IIS and argosoft mailserver pro. not set up as a DC, just sitting in WORKGROUP (ip 192.168.1.x, default subnet). if i fire up IE and hit my web page it works fine(could be because its running on that box? :confused: ).. havent tried setting up email on that box yet. i can ping my workstation from the server. this box can ping the gateway and get to the internet fine.

my workstation is an xp pro box (192.168.1.x, default subnet,WORKGROUP) that the only thing recently changed was i added sp2(recently moved, got my ws set back up, added sp2, then set up my server, worked fine before the move). everything in the security center is set to off. my email that is hosted on the 2k3 box will not work.

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'bob', Server: 'www.blahblahblah.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

if i enter in my website on the workstation it will not resolve (404).

both resolve to the correct (external) ip's when pinged from a command line. check my firewall settings, everything looks good there(befsr41, pretty hard to screw up the setup  :D ).

i cannot ping the server from the workstation. this box pings the gateway and connets to the internet fine. also i used to use remote desktop to manage the server, but since the ip is not pingable, i cant do that so i have to shut everything down, carry it all down to the basement, reconnect... etc. after doing that three times in the last hour im getting pretty p***ed. so i should probably just grab the box and bring it up.

also tried using different cat5 cables. no joy. any ideas?

i have since uninstalled sp2 and am having the same problem. is it doing something to the ip stack when you install sp2? anyhow as soon as i get my pw for one of my email accounts that is hosted offsite ill be doing a re-install to see if that fixes the problem.