• avarage
    • not too good
    • bad
    • terrible
    • give's me a headache!
    • going to be SICK!
    • IT'S MY WORST NIGHTMARE!!!!!

I'd say SP2 is great.

Although that already-huge list of poll options needs the option of "good" (for those who think its just about OK/good).

SP2 breathes some fresh air into XP, and gives it a acceptable minimum functionality/security/stability. Surely, MS didn't waste 2 years of delayed releases to make a bad service pack! And all those new features.....

Also, I normally just move on to some other app to replace any app that won't work properly on SP2. In most cases there's a patch or upgrade available. If something doesn't work on XPSP2, it means that the app-maker is at fault (yes, some MS-apps have compatibility problems with SP2 as well, and they admit they were at fault and have newer updates/upgrades). If it won't run on XPSP2, then I know that it doesn't deserve me using it, not that MS was bad in making SP2 incompatible with it.

So, in conclusion, yeah:

All apps work fine for me, and its good.

I'd say SP2 is great.

Although that already-huge list of poll options needs the option of "good" (for those who thing its just about OK/good).

SP2 breathes somew fresh air into XP, and gives it a acceptable minimum functionality/security/stability. Surely, MS didn't waste 2 years of delayed releases to make a bad service pack! And all those new features.....

Also, I normally just move on to some other app to replace any app that won't work properly on SP2. In most cases there's a patch or upgrade available. If something doesn't work on XPSP2, it means that the app-maker is at fault (yes, some MS-apps have compatibility problems with SP2 as well, and they admit they were at fault and have newer updates/upgrades). If it won't run on XPSP2, then I know that it doesn't deserve me using it, not that MS was bad in making SP2 incompatible with it.

So, in conclusion, yeah:

Hi guys,

Very well said prathapml and I agree with you totally. In my estimation, this is the best thing Microsoft has done in many years. No one can complain, at least not the software makers, for they were warned over a year ago of coming changes.

I think this service pack is the best thing that could have happened.

Dakota SunRunner :thumbup

So, in conclusion, yeah:

yeah umm ditto ;)

It's pretty good and the improved (not flawless) security features are appreciated as it will have a considerable effect on vast amounts of spyware/trojans affecting uninformed pc users.

PS

Yes I know nothing's flawless. :P

i've voted "avarage", why?

sp2 includes a lot of new technologies to enhance XP inet experience but... i hate that tcpip.sys file that prevents me to open many connections: this is the way m$ wants to prevent vulnerabilities? minimizing/slowing connections?

the enhanced firewall it's a very good idea but... i hate that security center. the common user don't need it if he's not connected to the inet and also it's annoying that tray icon, if it's not enough, it saves a lot of vital information about your vulnerabilities like the AV installed in the registry. now it isn't exploited by any1 but "a malicious user blah blah" perhaps some day...

the worst thing, what about the apps list that sp2 hangs/blocks/don't work/need to reinstall and so on...?

and finally my best pro: it includes all the WU patches released to date.

headachy for me.

Sure, my apps work and it's pretty good, but the "security" features in IE (read: yellow bar) is annoying enough to give me a headache.

Yellow bar to headache conversion chart:

5 Yellow bars in an hour: irritated

10: very irritated

15: I'm banging on the desk

I basically turned the yellow bars to a minimum (no Mr.Yellow for popups)

The only negative thing I have to say about SP2 is that it has slowed down my  browser (Firefox) and my email client (Thunderbird) start ups!

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

Use an optimized build for your cpu might help. Search the MozillaZine Forums (they actually have a build section for this kind of stuff) There should be both FF and TB custom builds available