Winamp 5.0.5 MSI release

Alanoll

hi,

i'm getting the following error when i tried to install winamp using the .msi file downloaded from here. the erro...

"Error 1720. There is a problem with this windows Installation Package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. contact your support personal or package vendor"

My runonceex.cmd file has this entry:

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /VE /D "Winamp Pro 5.0.5" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\applications\Winamp\winamp.msi INI=\"%systemdrive%\install\winamp\winamp.ini\" " /f

My winamp.ini is as follows:

[sETUP]

XAGENT=0

XLIBRARY=1

XINTEX=1

XHOTKEY=1

XJUMP=1

XTRAY=1

XMODERNSKIN=1

XAUDIO=1

XWMA=1

XMID=1

XMOD=1

XOGG=1

XAAC=1

XMP3ENC=1

XMP4=1

XCDPLAY=1

XSONIC=1

XCDDB=0

XWAV=1

XVIDEO=1

XNSV=1

XAVI=1

XVISUAL=0

XTINYFULL=0

XAVS=0

XMILKDROP=0

XEXTRA=1

XSIGNAL=1

XWRITEWAV=1

XDCOUT=1

XREGOPT=1

XDIRCONT=1

XTYPECONT=1

XNETSCAPE=0

XAUDIOCD=1

XDESKTOP=0

XQUICKLAUNCH=1

XSTARTMENU=1

XALLSHORT=0

XINET=0

XName = "XXXXXXXX"

XKey = "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

INSTALLDIR = C:\Program files\Winamp

please tell me what is wrong. is there something wrong with the package or with my ini or runonceexe switches?

thanks

@sanjaykumar

I'm inclined to believe user error. Probally wrong path or something.

The Error is one of two things, one it doesn't find the file. SO wrong path. or two something is wrong with the script. I doubt the second but it could happen. I doubt it because you're the only one gettings it. So I'm inlinded to user error.

SInce you're not using /qb or whatever, I dunno. The settings you have LOOK right, besides maybe the extra space.

@MtK

Nope, sorry. However, if there are suffucient requests for more features, I'll add it.

@all

Any requets for features? I'm not talking about adding a Skin to the package or anything, just something you want it to do, but doesn't.

I'll also look into another way to copy the INI file somewhere. Also, sometimes my browser screws up, and I don't see new posts. So if I don't come and acknowledge your post (if it's an error or request) in a day or so, feel free to PM me.

Hmm...

the InstallDir option in the ini file bombed the whole installation:

Installdir=%ProgramFiles%\Winamp

I kept getting 'error 1606' couldn't find the path %ProgramFiles%\Winamp

(yes I know this is the default install)

I also tried enclosing %ProgramFiles%\Winamp in quotes, but that didn't help.

I just wound up taking that line out and it installed ok.

Why wouldn't that work?

Why wouldn't that work?
1. There was no need to set that, because that was the default value, anyway.

2. I'm already mad at a few MSI-based app installers because they won't accept system-variables for the INSTALLDIR property. Add to that list. :P

In fact, no MSI I've seen supports anything other than absolute paths for that property - which is a bother to specify, when you need portable installs for multiple PCs and differing patterns of usage (for example, if you install to D, then the installdir becomes a head-ache).

Nope, both the two download links are working fine here.

And if you DO get some "file access denied" or something of the sort, alanoll has also posted another link to the MSI in this thread, in a post on previous page.

http://home.comcast.net/~alanollv/WINAMP.MSI

As for InstallDir switch.....

did either of you ever think that it's not parsed by the commandline? :P

Just as a test,

InstallDir=[WINDIR]\Winamp

That very well might work. lol.

EDIT::

Just did a quick test.

INSTALLDIR works from the commandline call. However, it does NOT work in the INI. Neither of which accept Windows Installer Properties, however, the commandline does except variables.

Winamp.msi INSTALLDIR=%WINDIR%\Winamp

Will set the installdir to %Windir%\Winamp properly. I'm not going to say that INSTALLDIR can be either capital or lowercase, I'm just gonna say it should be ALL UPPERCASE simply because that's the Windows Install convention.

@mrmr

Logic My young friend. Besides size, the only difference is components right?

Download the CAB version (it's the second link) and delete the ones you don't want. Then use the switches to install what YOU DO WANT and you get the SAME EFFECT.

Ok, found an Issue I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I have read in the nForce Forums, that there is an issue with getting Winamp to play on a 5.1 speaker setup (no sound from the rear speakers). The fix is to go into Options\Preferences and under Plug-Ins choose Output. Click on Directsound, and the click configure and enable hardware acceleration. This allows Winamp to output to 5.1 speakers.

However, after using the MSI install with the following winamp.ini file, I no longer see directsound listed in Output (only waveOut output v2.0.2a).

[sETUP]

XAGENT=0

XLIBRARY=1

XINTEX=1

XHOTKEY=1

XJUMP=1

XTRAY=1

XMODERNSKIN=1

XAUDIO=1

XWMA=1

XMID=1

XMOD=1

XOGG=1

XAAC=1

XMP3ENC=1

XMP4=1

XCDPLAY=1

XSONIC=1

XCDDB=0

XWAV=1

XVIDEO=0

XNSV=1

XAVI=1

XVISUAL=0

XTINYFULL=0

XAVS=0

XMILKDROP=0

XEXTRA=1

XSIGNAL=1

XWRITEWAV=1

XDCOUT=1

XREGOPT=1

XDIRCONT=1

XTYPECONT=1

XNETSCAPE=0

XAUDIOCD=1

XDESKTOP=0

XQUICKLAUNCH=1

XSTARTMENU=1

XALLSHORT=0

XINET=0

XSKIN=AR7

XName = "xxxxxxxxxx"

XKey = "xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx"

INSTALLDIR = C:\Program files\Winamp

It looks like XDCOUT=1 should enable this in Winamp, but it apparently doesn't. Another issue is the Skin install. I have the skin AR7 already in the Winamp folder (C:\Program Files\Winamp\Skins\AR7), yet when I load the MSI with the above INI file, only the Modern Skin is installed. Am I missing something?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Update #1: Bah, found that I was missing the XSKINSETTING= section and this fixed the skin loading problem. So just need how to put the directsound plug-in back in the Output section.

Update #2: Ok, found the two missing files...out_ds.dll and out_disk.dll. These are found in your Winamp.rar files (specifically dcout.cab and writewav.cab). Just copying these files to the Plugin folder fixes the problem. I'm guessing these files aren't included in the MSI file?