nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

bunch of files missing in the textmode... most of them are chm/hlp files [removed help and support]and camera driver files.

is anyone else having the same problem?

im seeing the same thing with my install

ive removed alot of the useless drivers but it seems the references havent been removed so windows is still looking for them

its not going to harm anything that these files are missing cuz windows does not REQUIRE them but is it supposed to be like this or is this a bug?

i realize this is still beta so he it might not be finished coding everything just yet

i hope this can be fixed

and thanks for the awesome app :rolleyes:

EDIT: btw i found a bug when you are reading the xp cd directory into nlite from the root of a drive it produces an "unhandled exception" error

debug info to follow

See the end of this message for details on invoking 

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.ArgumentException: Invalid File or Directory attributes value.

at System.IO.File.SetAttributes(String path, FileAttributes fileAttributes)

at ..(DirectoryInfo )

at ..()

at .. ()

at ..(Object , EventArgs )

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0

Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

nLite

Assembly Version: 1.0.1608.385

Win32 Version: 1.0.1608.385

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/nLite/nlite.exe

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this

application or machine (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine

rather than being handled by this dialog.

REEDIT: correction its not ntfs compressed volumes

its when your reading in the xp cd directory from the root of a drive

it apparently doesnt like this :)

In my last post i said that the shortcut to the defragmentor wasnt there.. This is right.. BUT, when i did open defragmentor it wouldnt work...

*formats back to normal xp*

//Chris.

Nuhi!

First,I must say great work in 9.2 version.My vmware is bussy this days like never before!I don't know what are you fix,but today I try again with xp home OEM version and slipstream sp2 2135 and wooilaaaaaaaaa.......work-everything work nice.I remove the same stuff like in retail version and no problem.The only one problem I have,becouse I type the wrong serial in my winnt.sif :D !

Maybae is some bug in sp2 2126-so now I wait for rc2,but MS is late for this release :)

I always remove IE and AE,becouse I don't like it and I use Opera and thebat.Opera work really nice without IE and thebat is the best secure e-mail client.I remove almost all stuff what I don't need,so nice done nuhi!

I have one guestion if this can be done,but this one is already posted.Is posible to patch uxtheme.dl_ automatic,so we don't need to replace this file

and I almost forgot:Thank you!

:rolleyes:

Cheers!

post-70-1085683459_thumb.png

post-70-1085683459_thumb.png

@nuhi: The bug with not installing IE, Wordpad and Defragmenter in nlite9.2 looks for me like it was in the hell-buggy nliteV8. Like there i have some Snap-In Problems; so i think it turns perhaps around the same code.

9.1 i haven't tested...9.0 looks nearly perfect for me.

It is the same for me Rudi1...i don't like IE :) . I take mostly Firefox or Opera for browsing, but because of sometimes making websites it is good for me having IE onboard.

@jmbattle & Imperial, thanx

It is possible to put instructions in infs to delete folders later...will do some day

@gmx...it shouldn't miss them...i'll try later selecting only those options and see which infs are pulling those requests

@Jazz, excellente :rolleyes:

@MCT, eventually, will do

@CuBie, going to check your bug, it's very interesting but haven't experienced it yet (going to reinstall windows now, i'm selecting nLite profile).

Windows built in Defragmenter was your trigger...you surprise me.

(and i bet you selected some experimental stuff)

@ZuluDC, "long" time no see :D

Well...please send me yours selected.ini file from nLite dir on my email so that i can test it and see. (posting on this topic will add to it's chubbiness even more)

@Unaimed, ipconfig working here...must be VMWare

@cb3dsl, those missed entries i'll check later.

About root problem, i'm always testing nLite from C:\XPCD so i don't see what's the problem, nobody else has it...i'm puzzled

@Rudi1, great...so OEM finally works....about uxtheme...i hate you :)

Uh...bugZzz

nuhi:

@MCT, about components...every single one will be removed eventually.

uxtheme nope...going to put that note on the first page...it was brought up 3 times, find the explanation.

Oooo,I see!sorry about this :)

Umm i dunno what zulu is talking abt the IE,wordpad and defrag errors, cuz i chose NOT to remove them and then they work all fine !! note, i checked this in vmware, but based on that i'm gonna format my primary os and reinstall everything !!

OK, i'm not doin this only for the testing.., i'm doin this for my dignity :rolleyes:

What happened is that my pals got a below 1ghz pc and they all installed xp from my unattended cd, and OH boy their xp FLIES !!! and me, umm i installed it 2 yrs ago and am still dragging it to eternity..

The xp has become soo sloowww that everybody asks me to update my pc specs, man i just hate that.. i got a 2.4B p4, 512 DDR 333 ram and 120 7200 hdd, still xp runs like a DOG !

So, enuff is enuff.. i was eventually waiting for sp2, but i cant handle it no more..

Duh, ok enuff of whining and bitchin :) , well well it looks like Nuhi becomes very happy to hear from me cuz he knows i give good news :D

Lol, just kiddin...

Off i go fellas,

BYe,

Jazz

@Jazz: It is very easy to understand what i am talking about...i haven't select this programs to remove but they were not there where they should be...so it seems that i have made an iso like yours but mine does not the job like it should :)

Who knows...because of other language-version or anything other...i can't say. This fault i only seen till now 2 times...in v8.0 and v9.2.

Nlite v9.0 runs since builded on a real (not VMWare) system with RAID0 and it works like a charm :rolleyes:

@nuhi: Sorry for not beeing testing much in the moment but haven't feel fine last days :D

It is the same for me Rudi1...i don't like IE  :)  . I take mostly Firefox or Opera for browsing, but because of sometimes making websites it is good for me having IE onboard.

I advice you to remove IE and reinstall it with a normal installation after having installed the os without it.

Belive me, it's a completely different browser!!!

Much much much more faster than the integrated one and I dunno why ;D

Kind Regards

P.S.: @nuhi

The new 9.2 version gaved me no problems, I've tryied to reproduce the same errors reported by ZuluDC, but with no success.

Everything is here when it's not selected.

@Milgathia

Done this with v.9.0 (or was it 8.2?). If i rightly remember i run then in the problem with some DRM***.dlls (don't remember the right names). Reinstalling WMP works then, but i was not able to reinstall IE. I think someone here posted a workaround for that all and perhaps in v9.2 it is history because i haven't tested more till then. Perhabs i should try once more...

IE can be fast like a locomotive, but it can't never be my first choice...lack of functionality. I need Popup-blocking, Multi-Tabs (oh yes! I must have this....), very easy and fast switch to no Javascript-Support, open 20 sites on one click...and so on. IE is only possible for my with tools like MyIE. And i don't want talk about security...it is not the strongest side of IE :rolleyes: ...so i only take IE for website-test.

But thanks for advice Milgathia :)

All is good that brings more speed!

@Jazz, :)

I tested it too, and Defragmenter is ok, my cd is 143mb, so you get the picture

I'm going to add more stuff to reduce, i don't care about those puny icon bugs.

@ZuluDC, it's ok, you've done a great job, rest now

About those weird bugs, they'll probably go away in a version or two, it's something trivial and i'm changing methods all the time.

@Milgathia, yey

@ZuluDC, as Milgathia allready warned me i should separate DRM component from media player (but they are related).

Fixed few help files entries, new version probably tomorrow if i add something with weight more than few mb.

Another Q about removing IE via Nlite

I remember a while back LiteXP's earlier versions had trouble after IE removal as:

"Removal of IE now leaves %WinRoot%\System32\hlink.dll behind. This is used by other apps - in particular System Restore."

Anyone know if Nlite leaves that needed hlink.dll behind in the event you wish to do away with IE?

Am in urgent need of a complete wipe/reinstall & am planning to do it w/ Nlit this weekend.

Cheers

@CBC, you could tried it few seconds and see for yourself...it's leaving that file, don't worry.

edit: actually it leaves too much ie files because they are in corelist.inf...going to see about that, hmm further reduction

First of all I must say GREAT JOB... I mean, this tool is incredible.

I read all 40 pages from the beginning and unless I missed something I have a problem that I haven't seen so far.

I read that since build 8.5 you fixed gosh's slimming method. But I still get errors. My XP folder is a "pre-Gosh" slim, meaning I did the whole thing (Boot and i386 folders, editing the setupldr.bin file, etc). I always leave that folder open in case I want to add some other stuff later. I DIDN'T compressed it yet.

Now, I use Nlite and remove stuff I don't want and then choose CREATE ISO. When I try to boot the system (VitualPC) I get a setupldr.bin missing. So, instead of using Nlite to create the ISO, I tried with the cmd command provided by Gosh. The ISO will now boot, but during the copying of the files I get a lot of missing files errors (.ttf and .dll)

I would like to know what I'm doing wrong. Should I just start fresh without using Gosh method?

Anyway, if this question was asked before, I'm sorry. Like I said, I didn't find it...

Thx!

edit: Btw, I'm trying this on a french copy of XP.