Resuming the transition to Manifest V3

Sampei.Nihira

https://developer.chrome.com/blog/resuming-the-transition-to-mv3/

We will begin disabling Manifest V2 extensions in pre-stable versions of Chrome (Dev, Canary, and Beta) as early as June 2024, in Chrome 127 and later. Users impacted by the rollout will see Manifest V2 extensions automatically disabled in their browser and will no longer be able to install Manifest V2 extensions from the Chrome Web Store. Also in June 2024, Manifest V2 extensions will lose their Featured badge in the Chrome Web Store if they currently have one.

It is possible to postpone the disabling of MV2 extensions by 1 year by entering a policy rule in the registry:

https://developer.chrome.com/docs/extensions/migrating/mv2-sunset/

Enterprises using the ExtensionManifestV2Availability policy to ensure the continued functioning of Manifest V2 extensions in their organization will have one additional year - until June 2025 - to migrate the Manifest V2 extensions in their organization. Browsers with the policy enabled will not be impacted by the rollout of the deprecation until that time.

I have already entered this policy rule in my Edge browser and it works regularly:

1.jpg

Of course, this is possible in all other Chromium-based browsers

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

Also.
Correct command-line syntax would require the "".

--enable-features="ExtensionManifestV2Availability,..............."

The , to separate multiple features.

I in the Standard Account only prefer to use HCU registry path key.

Not the recommended HLM path.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

3 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Also.
Correct command-line syntax would require the "".

--enable-features="ExtensionManifestV2Availability,..............."

The , to separate multiple features.

I in the Standard Account only prefer to use HCU registry path key.

Not the recommended HLM path.

No, I'm afraid you're wrong, they don't require the """. Here's the screenshot from chrome://version.

Screenshot.png

10 hours ago, D.Draker said:

The code hasn't, but you confuse policies with command line flags. Quotes aren't needed in the latter case.

Since I am 60 years old, I could confuse many things,but certainly not the policies or command line flags that I use simultaneously in Edge.
Not to mention that it is part of the subject I taught many years in college.
And the collaborations I've had over the years with various developers.

You who hold the title of doctor can you give me a concrete example of confusion referring to this thread?

You will notice that I wrote the "correct syntax" not whether or not they are indispensable.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

3 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

You who hold the title of doctor can you give me a concrete example of confusion referring to this thread?

Yes, I can, in fact @Dixel already did. [link]

But if you still insist, please go to chrome://version/ and post the screenshot from there.

Here's what you requested. You will notice that the experimental flags + Command-Line Switches with "":

1.jpg

I will also include a Github link, even if archived, with the Command-Line Switches  in question with the correct syntax:

https://github.com/melo936/ChromiumHardening/blob/main/flags/chrome-command-line.md

Edited by Tripredacus

4 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Here's what you requested. You will notice that the experimental flags + Command-Line Switches with "":

1.jpg

I will also include a Github link, even if archived, with the Command-Line Switches  in question with the correct syntax:

https://github.com/melo936/ChromiumHardening/blob/main/flags/chrome-command-line.md

There are no quotes under chrome://version/ on your screenshot.

Edited by Tripredacus

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

There are no quotes under chrome://version/ on your screenshot.

There is a red arrow pointing to where the quotes mentioned are being used. Try to be more reasonable on the forum. We make everyone post in English and people from other countries may not be 100% accurate and clear when they post, so it is to be expected that sometimes things can get mixed up. You have the ability to figure out what a person is trying to say, there is no reason to try to catch people in a grammar trap.

9 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

There is a red arrow pointing to where the quotes mentioned are being used. Try to be more reasonable on the forum. We make everyone post in English and people from other countries may not be 100% accurate and clear when they post, so it is to be expected that sometimes things can get mixed up. You have the ability to figure out what a person is trying to say, there is no reason to try to catch people in a grammar trap.

There are no quotes under chrome://version/ on his screenshot, why did you ignore the most important subject, I wonder?

I'll answer, it's because Chrome doesn't need them. Whatever outdated info he passed to the chrome executable, chrome seems to be correcting it. 

Outdated, hence the keyword "archived article" he used. I couldn't have been able to port new browsers or anything to Vista if I hadn't knew it, so him calling me a doctor might have been

an exaggeration, but overall he's right, I know "a bit" more about Chrome. With the current state of things on the forum, where people simply can't support normal discussion,

I'm  going to limit my free support, I already cancelled my ported Opera project, no more posting of modded nVidia drivers either.

Quotes shouldn't break anything in this case, though I guess generally in software they're strictly needed if to-be-quoted string has (or could have) (white)space characters as those could be interpreted as separators of whatever arguments you're passing. In this case, I think it can be safely assumed they won't come up with a feature name with a space in it.

Chromium doesn't use quotes when passing certain arguments similar in syntax like --enable-features among its processes, eg. --field-trial-handle=1956,i,12723921000856444030,14158919512122076707,262144. In other cases where quotes are needed, it seems to quote the entire argument, eg. "--database=C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data\Crashpad". I think it's not something to make a fuss about.

Edited by UCyborg

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Chromium doesn't use quotes when passing certain arguments similar in syntax like --enable-features among its processes, eg. --field-trial-handle=1956,i,12723921000856444030,14158919512122076707,262144. In other cases where quotes are needed, it seems to quote the entire argument, eg. "--database=C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data\Crashpad". I think it's not something to make a fuss about.

Lol, look at the screenshot I posted again, look at the screenshot he himself posted. too.

There's simply no quotes in the Command Line under chrome://version/:

--enable-features=WebContentsForceDark,TurnOffStreamingMediaCaching,Yada,Yada

No spaces between features either!

Quotes shouldn't break anything in this case

Yes, there's a correction in place, like I said!

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

Lol, look at the screenshot I posted again, look at the screenshot he himself posted. too.

There's simply no quotes in the Command Line under chrome://version/:

--enable-features=WebContentsForceDark,TurnOffStreamingMediaCaching,Yada,Yada

No spaces between features either!

Of course! But whadda I know, I only a "doctor" :D

Chromium doesn't use quotes when passing certain arguments similar in syntax like --enable-features among its processes

Exactly! Thank you!