ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.2044 rebuild 2

For what it is worth, I am staying on 2036 thus far.

My fingers are crossed for better assistance with the Vista x64 "scan" report before I can in good conscience bring 2044 to here at work.

Our Global IT is not that smart and our department forces them to change their "rules" constantly, but I can't really tell the department that I "need" 360Chrome for "work-related" tasks, lol.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

My fingers are crossed for better assistance with the Vista x64 "scan" report before I can in good conscience bring 2044 to here at work.

Hi ArcticFoxie, this is NOT result of a real-time "protection" scan, this message only shows if you try to run 360Chrome on an unsupported OS/Service Pack, and it only means that 360Chrome can't start on the specific OS/Service Pack.

Ah, thanks.  I was actually kind of suspecting that this was due to an unsupported OS / Service Pack basically being "played off as" some sort of "security risk" for those of us running SUPPORTED OFFICIAL Operating Systems.

Future references to this "trojan scan" shall be ignored, of course.

Thank you, @we3fan.

edit: "official" versus "supported, since neither XP or Vista are technically "supported" operating systems

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

had a go at my xp font issue with v2044.
replaced modified files like shell32.dll and the original ariblk.TTF.
created a new user account with admin rights.
changed standard fonts to arial black in all display settings.
reset the ms shell dlg and ms shell dlg 2 settings in regedit.
v2044 will still not display the fonts as i set it to do.
2036 regedit : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\360chrome\default\ui_persist_value\FontFamily = Arial Black
2044 regedit : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\360chrome\default\ui_persist_value\FontFamily = ??
this ?? also appears on the un-tweaked laptop in regedit where arial black bold seems to be mostly working.

sometimes these  宋 体  characters are in regedit instead of ??.
am not used to any errors in my xp install so this is a bit frustrating.
will let it rest for now because i am out of ideas.
time to restore a recent full system backup with version 13.5.2036.

Edited by rereser

On 10/1/2023 at 1:43 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

d3dcompiler_47.dll

Update d3dcompiler_47.dll is suitable for Windows Server 2012, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

That's what Microsoft tells us.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-for-the-d3dcompiler-47-dll-component-on-windows-server-2012-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2-769c6690-ed30-4dee-8bf8-dfa30e2f8088

I don't see XP or Vista listed in this topic, no Windows 10 or 11 either!

after a few days researching my font issue with 2044 , no results.
i use arial black 8 regular that shows as "bolder" with cleartype font smoothing system wide.
checked the xp files , regedit , settings and everything else i could think of.
it seems 2044 picks up some font styles as well as size , bold and italic.
what it does not seem to do is work with cleartype.
this is on all my 4 xp sp3 different pc's including a mediacenter 2005 sp3.
checked it on a win 7 sp1 x64 laptop , arail black works there but the menu settings are almost unreadable.
the xp sp3 laptop that i forgot about displays arial black 8 regular as a thicker font but not on the new tab button.
should have known this version was not for me as the chinese source does the same.
remains a mystery to me what is the cause of this.

as for the "trojan warning" reported earlier ...
you can replicate this by using the chrome.exe from 2036 in 2044.
encountered this when dealing with the above.

Interesting.

I don't mind doing another update for 2036 in the 2036 thread despite some members here not "liking" that.

No skin off my back, not a fan of the gigantic "like" game here at MSFN anyway.

2036 has one "update check" telemetry item that was found while performing mods for 2044.

2036 also needs "restore defaults" button removed.  There may be some other minor stuff, don't recall offhand.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

thanks for the quick reply.
a newer 2036 build would combine all the tweaks that have been made over time to the chrome.dll.
like the translate context menu and others , don't remember.
but i will take and test anything you post.
instructions for removing the "restore default" button would also suffice for me.

note : signing off for now.
have used acronis full system backup about 10 times today after messing with files and settings.
need to take a break.

Edited by rereser

On 10/15/2023 at 8:09 PM, Outbreaker said:

The --profile-directory=Default is to change the Profile folder name.
The --user-data-dir is to set a new Profile folder directory. 

Running 360chrome.exe --user-data-dir="%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\360Chrome" works fine, but not with the "360Loader.exe" or "360Loader.ini" file.

Is a fix for this possible? Or can it not be fixed because it's an X-Chromium Loader bug?

Edited by Outbreaker

13 minutes ago, Outbreaker said:

Is a fix for this possible? Or can it not be fixed because it's an X-Chromium Loader bug?

I've not experimented with it yet.

Have you tried "chrlauncher"?  https://chromium.woolyss.com/ (grab any of the "portable" links then replace internal contents with any Chrome-based browser, including 360Chrome)

Will 360Chrome's own "cache location" solve your needs?  chrome://settings/advanced (third entry in right column)

5 hours ago, rereser said:

as for the "trojan warning" reported earlier ...
you can replicate this by using the chrome.exe from 2036 in 2044.

Confirmed.  But this has always been the case, you can't use one version's .dll with another version's .exe.

Aside from fixing the broken English, this only occurs when one "mixes and matches", I see no need to prevent the no-start for a mix-and-match.

Although I can see an advantage in removing the "yes" button when it requests to download a new version and display only the "no" which forces an exit with no ability to launch.

Folks that create their own loader would have to create their own integrity-check.  A loader from 1030 will not load 2022, 2036, or 2044 - nor should we expect it to.

Those are the only versions I just attempted a mix-and-match.  I wouldn't WANT them to load under a mix-and-match, to be honest.

There really are a TON of things shuffled around and indexed differently post 1030.

In my view, 13.0.2206 and 13.5.1030 were kind of the best it got for 360Chrome.

2206 was reported to have issues on some systems, it was nothing but stable for me.  Stylus extension did have some stability issues with 2206 when editing stylesheets.

1030 seemed to be the most stable across a larger set of systems and none of my extensions had any issue with 1030.

If I were to pick "one version for everyone", I'd actually pick 1030.

That said, sure, it's nice to have the "most recent" but sometimes I think we just fool ourselves into thinking the "most recent" is somehow 'better' or 'more secure' or this or that.

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I've not experimented with it yet.

Have you tried "chrlauncher"?  https://chromium.woolyss.com/ (grab any of the "portable" links then replace internal contents with any Chrome-based browser, including 360Chrome)

Will 360Chrome's own "cache location" solve your needs?  chrome://settings/advanced (third entry in right column)

ChrLauncher is not Windows XP compatible. And the "Cache Directory" is not to save the Chrome User Profile data into the Windows User Profile folder.

Edited by Outbreaker