Future of Chromium on older Windows 10 versions and RTM.

Dixel

As most of you already know, chrome dropped support for RTM 1507, and possibly others (needs to be tested), despite the official statements,

"To use Chrome browser on Windows, you'll need: Windows 10 ". They may edit any time, so make copies.

The lies is well within their usual behaviour. The discovery was made by @yoltboy01.

Ladies, please gather the remains of your will and stay on-topic, be polite and respectful, stick to the facts.

All have a nice chat.

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I found my 1511.  Plan to test it compared to LTSB 2016 [1607] over the weekend.

Basically these are the key differences:

Advantages of 1511 over 1607:

Disadvantages:

• No LTSB version
  • .NET Framework 4 is limited to 4.6.2. Most developers have already moved to .NET 5+ versions which do work.

I haven't done any performance tests

Edited by TSNH

On 9/13/2023 at 5:16 AM, TSNH said:

Basically these are the key differences:

Advantages of 1511 over 1607:

Disadvantages:

• No LTSB version
  • .NET Framework 4 is limited to 4.6.2. Most developers have already moved to .NET 5+ versions which do work.

I haven't done any performance tests

Windows 10 v1511 had reached its end of servicing life on October 10, 2017, it means no updates, ever, which is good! On the other hand - the most possible chrome's next victim, closest dumpster candidate, which means time wasted on modding it.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/announcements/windows-10-1511-end-of-servicing

I don't see it that way.

Modding shouldn't be regarded as "time wasted" simply because what is modded today will need performed again 2 or 3 years down the road.

Today's Linux is nothing more than modified open-source "mods" of yesterday's Linux.

Backporting Opera not intended to run on Vista or 7 and getting it to work on Vista or 7 should never be thought of as "time wasted".

An "extended kernel" is nothing more than an evolving set of "mods".  Nowhere near "time wasted".

Tweaking and modding and optimizing an OS should be regarded as learning experiences, technological evolution, the computer equivalent of hiking a trail in a rain forest opposed to walking a treadmill at the gym.

Extending a kernel is never "time wasted".  I guarantee you that folks that "extend" kernels were tweaking and optimizing Win98 long before they were "backporting" Win10 functions to Vista, for example.

I'm only "just now" migrating some (not all!) of my XP systems to Win 10.  I guarantee you that the XP install I was using yesterday is not the same as the XP install I was using 20 years ago.

And the learning experiences of tweaking and optimizing XP over the years only assists is tweaking and optimizing 10.

Doesn't the gaming community tweak and mod in the spirit of competitive advantage?  Should we view that as "time wasted"?  (I cite that one as a bit of a pun).

3 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

In that case, what would be the oldest Windows release where latest Chrome could work?

As of now, 1607 seems to be the bare minimum. Some say 1511 can be modded. But the interest in 1511 is almost zero, since it's out of support and had no LTSB version.

On 9/15/2023 at 3:32 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I guarantee you that folks that "extend" kernels were tweaking and optimizing Win98 long before they were "backporting" Win10 functions to Vista, for example.

Sorry, you're wrong, win32 was born several years after Win98. And the folks that modded Win98 could be in a very bad shape now. Not all, of course.

I was not citing win32 directly, so unsure why his birthday has any relevance.
Our own IT department extends the kernel of embedded XP applications that run some of our factory equipment.
Guess my main point was that "knowledge learned" during the whole modding process is never a "waste of time", even if a mod is "short-lived" as far as useful for Year X but no longer useful for Year Y.

I do think it is fair for this thread to not be locked in to any specific "older Windows 10 versions and RTM".  Or any specific version of Chromium.
My experience with Win10 is fairly new.  At this stage, it is more of a "hobby project".

1511 not having an LTSB version is a minor concern.  It definitely requires much more modding in order to make it a lean and mean OS.
I am only one day in on modding my 1511 and already have it very close to my 1607 LTSB.
Ungoogled Chromium v114 does work equally well in both 1511 and 1607.

Will Ungoogled Chromium v200 still work in 1511?  Don't know.  Will that be 2 years from now?  Or 10 years from now?
Will Ungoogled Chromium v200 still work in 1607?  Don't know.  Will that be 2 years from now?  Or 10 years from now?

I am leaning on the side of 1607 becoming my new preferred OS.  But it's also a bit too early to tell as this "hobby project" is just unfolding.

14 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Will Ungoogled Chromium v200 still work in 1511? 

Don't think so.

Chromium v200.  Will that be 2 years from now?  Or 10 years from now?

Simple to guess, stable release comes every month now for quite some time. 81 months left.

I do think it is fair for this thread to not be locked in to any specific "older Windows 10 versions and RTM".  Or any specific version of Chromium.

It's open to any older Windows 10 versions on which they ditched Chromium, as a consequence we shall see a specific version of Chromium attached to this matter.

Simple.

On 9/13/2023 at 3:45 AM, TSNH said:

Version 119 still works on Threshold 2 (1511) is it is and can be modded to work on 1507

On your Win10 1511, do you have a "System and compressed memory" process always running at 15% to 30% for CPU when sitting IDLE?

Win10 1607 on the same exact laptop idles at 1% to 3%.