Really, Really Delaying Windows Updates

bluebolt

On 8/16/2023 at 12:43 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I use WinReducerEX but I am unsure if "how to" guides fall within MSFN allowed content.

And people took their time to explain.

Ok.  But that wasn't a "question", it ends with a "." and not a "?"  :cool:

But yes, if NTLite was part of MSFN, then I guess there is no reason that WinReducerEX can't be.

Though it sounds like it was because the author of NTLite was an MSFN Member whereas the author of WinReducerEX is not.

11 hours ago, Dixel said:

I read it gets back on its own, I don't have links at hand now, sorry.

If it does, then run

sc delete wuauserv

this command removes this service from the registry completely, so some entry in task scheduler or similar won't be able to turn it on.

If you later decide you want it back for some reason you can restore the registry from a clean Windows 10 installation.

Services are in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Edited by TSNH
services location in registry

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Not so sure that would work.  Windows has a way of using its "system32" folder to bring back anything that Windows itself thinks you "didn't really intend to delete" even though you knew exactly why you were deleting it.

The post above yours is about removing entries in the Registry about a service, not about deleting files in a (protected by some system integrity provision) folder:

https://ss64.com/nt/sc.html

jaclaz

9 hours ago, D.Draker said:

first need to run

sc stop wuauserv

and only then

sc delete wuauserv

Of course you have to kill the running service first, ether by running this command in services.msc just like you don't delete a file in use. Assumed this is obvious as this was the next step what you should do after disabling the service in services.msc if that's not enough :yes:.

This is more of a newbie question though, so perhaps I should also be more specific that wuauserv is stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv not HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and you don't need to export&import all the services.

Edited by TSNH

does windows update really have to disable or could some type of workaround be found for this? ive used legacy update before and it work and functions way better than windows 10s update mechanism

Edited by legacyfan