Mental Health Awareness Month

Vistapocalypse

15 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

In the early 1990s when Terminator 2 was a very popular movie, the term “Pescadero” came into limited usage, e.g. “Certain members belong in Pescadero.” The literal Spanish meaning is “fishmonger,” but in T2 it was the facility where Sarah Connor was incarcerated for believing in time-traveling terminators and attempting to blow up Cyberdyne Systems. :cool: The sign said it was “a criminally disordered retention facility.” ;)

I just re-watched The Terminator recently. Seeing T1 and T2 in a cinema would be something, but I was born after, in the ruins. :P I mean after they were released, not after Judgement Day as it came in the movie.

It's been years since the last time I was in the cinema, I'm certain I watched Terminator Salvation and Terminator Genisys. There were few others, but they slipped out of my memory.

Edit:

Right...

On 5/13/2023 at 3:00 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

If this topic keeps an XP antivirus thread from growing another page in length, then perhaps it was worthwhile. :blink:

Doesn't seem to be working!

I made few posts in other topics, but I don't have much else to say. :}

Edited by UCyborg

9 hours ago, UCyborg said:

...Seeing T1 and T2 in a cinema would be something, but I was born after, in the ruins. :P I mean after they were released, not after Judgement Day as it came in the movie. It's been years since the last time I was in the cinema...

It sounds like you are still relatively young. I’m getting pretty old now, but I still like science fiction films a lot - so much that I feel a compulsion to reply even though it takes my own topic off topic (and “compulsion to reply” is a big reason why I thought mental health awareness month was a good topic for general discussion at MSFN). :blink:

I regret that I never saw T1 in a cinema either. I was old enough, but it was not a major success at the time. It became a cult classic thanks to the arrival of the VCR, and T2 would later become a blockbuster that I eagerly anticipated. James Cameron is my favorite filmmaker. All of his films are good (except Piranha II, avoid that one). I have only been in a cinema once since Covid-19 appeared, to see Avatar: The Way of Water - and yes I wore 3D glasses. :cool: However, even I am somewhat concerned about the number of Avatar films that Cameron contemplates making. :o

I am sure that science fiction films are regularly discussed on social media platforms, and that is probably more appropriate than discussing them at MSFN. On the other hand, MSFN will not long survive without young members who are perhaps not obsessed with Windows XP, and younger members seem to take a more social approach to their internet activities than older members like myself. Perhaps there is a “generation gap” that needs to be bridged here? I’m not too old to reconsider my own attitudes in this regard. :)

I do think mental health is important topic that deserves more attention, especially in this age with the crazy pace and everything tightened up. I'm not active on any social other media, just made few posts recently on another technical forum. I don't really fit-in anywhere, my head is often empty and having no clue what to say.

I was obsessed with Windows XP too at some point, when it was still current. A distant relative told me then I shouldn't obsess over an OS as much, better to focus more on other things you do on a computer. I think it was a good advice.

Hm, what was I going to put in the 3rd paragraph? About pulling fuses out for side mirrors and power seats, what if there's a significant height difference between the customer and the person at the workshop? Power seats do have a manual way as backup, right? Interesting how some banal things can bothers us as much.

This reminded me, I was at two different places in recent times for tire swap. They both put infotainment on the radio at the end, I had it on the car screen (where Settings->Tires->SET is accessible) with media mode active in the background so the Bluetooth connection to my phone works for playing music. They could just 🔙 to the Car screen. Guess it's so rooted in their routine they always put it on the radio at the end.

For those that may not be aware, modern cars have TPMS (Tire-Pressure Monitoring System), indirect variants that a lot of cars have should be notified that the pressure is OK after swapping and/or inflating tires.

Off-topic, sure, but seriously, this strict on-topic concept really doesn't flow well with how humans naturally converse and being anal about it might be worse for someone's mental health, depending on which end you are. I remember @NotHereToPlayGames also pointing it out at some point.

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Off-topic, sure, but seriously, this strict on-topic concept really doesn't flow well with how humans naturally converse

Agreed!

Pay attention to your daily conversations and just how often you remain "on-topic" during a 15-minute conversation where a strict "topic" was the very reason that conversation came about in the first place.

Did you go off-topic 5 minutes in, 10 minutes in, or remain "strictly" on-topic the entire 15 minutes?

Policemen or firemen on the scene obviously won't be discussing what they watched on television the night before or how their favorite sports team is doing.

But MSFN is not here to "put out fires" or "disarm an active shooter", we are here as a COMMUNITY and "discussions" should 'flow naturally'.

Nobody likes to be "micromanaged" and there comes a point where too much focus on just what is acceptable OT and what amount of OT went over the line is very much just MICROMANAGING the conversation.

It is a fine line.  Because nor do we want all threads to be 100 pages long with only 20 pages being on-topic.

15 minutes ago, Cocodile said:

What do I need to do ?

I wonder if the space between the "do" and the "?" is taught in your school system?  I have seen other members also place spaces before punctuation so I can't help but be curious.

I know I too do this if the last set of words in a sentence is a URL and it's nice to not accidentally highlight and copy the punctuation mark when trying to only copy the URL.

That aside, regarding your enquiry, you can get a nice start by calling up any phone number in the book and asking to speak with Seymore Butz or Harry Baals or Tiney Kox or Mike Hunt or Hugh Mungus or Hugh Janus.

A genuine Indian name is Dikshit, but I prefer the first and last name approach.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

If you defnine OCD as a mental disorder (I do not!)...

I wonder what you thought of Jack Nicholson’s portrayal of a successful author with OCD in the 1997 film As Good As It Gets (also starring Helen Hunt and Greg Kinnear)? Did you see anything of yourself in that character? I don’t usually go for romantic comedies (I’m more of a science fiction fan), but my relatives urged me to see that movie and I really enjoyed it. My relatives think I’m “antisocial” because I dislike listening to lengthy “conversations” about topics that are of no interest whatsoever; but despite my Aspergers, I have far more social graces than Nicholson’s character in that film (and no OCD diagnosis). The most agreeable way to communicate with my relatives is via brief text messages: no audio filtration necessary. :crazy:

What I have learned is to use an "HR term".  For work, I often have to shuffle from one small group to another as one project closes and another opens.

I openly inform any new members to the current project group, "I apologize in advance if I ever come across as antisocial or uninterested or short on attention, I am task-oriented and this often comes across as antisocial to those that are people-oriented."

It actually works quite well.  Even when somebody in a department unfamiliar with my work habits "misreads" my personality because I didn't say hello or goodbye, I asked the task-oriented question and NOTHING more, I'm here to get a TASK performed, not to "make friends", so they talk to my small group members behind my back and my small group does the "people stuff" FOR ME, informing them, "Oh no!  You have him misread.  He is TASK-ORIENTED and just saying hello or goodbye is viewed as a 'waste of time' for him.  He's one of the best guys I've ever had the priveledge to work with."

One of the funniest jokes here at work is when new hires tell others that they can't keep up with me or understand my verbal communications.  A coworker once told one of these folks, "It's because he doesn't use the words IT or THE when he talks, so his 20-word sentence became 15 words, you won't fall behind if you teach your ears to fill in the words IT and THE."

I do.  But I generally distance them from real life and generally make no comparisons to real life.  I only watch recorded movies or streaming services that I can fast-forward.  I do not, under ANY circumstance!, listen to or watch an actor/actress CRY!  Period!  It's one of my biggest Pet Peeves.  I fast forward through the scene and puzzle the plot together WITHOUT the d@mn CRYING!  It's also why I hate hate hate "awards" for actors/actresses.  They are generally given "awards" for acting out "emotions" and to a movie director, that means CRYING!  Hate it!  Hate it!  Hate it!  I also do not, under ANY circumstance!, watch hospital "pregnancy" scenes.  FAKE crying and FAKE pain DISGUSTS me at ALL levels!

I've seen both of them.  When I watch movies, I've generally forgotten the entire plot within a week.

The 1986 World Series, on the other hand, Game 6, bottom of the 10th, two outs, down by two, I can play the at-bats in my head of Carter, Mitchell, Knight, and Wilson like it was YESTERDAY.

Especially Mookie Wilson jumping up and down on the wild sixth pitch and Mitchell tying the score.

Then on the 10th pitch, the Mets tied the World Series at three games a piece with a 6 to 5 come-from-behind victory that still ranks amongst the most famous games in baseball history.