Mental Health Awareness Month

Vistapocalypse

2 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Tip to improve mental health  --  when you take your car to a repair shop for something you can't fix yourself, REMOVE the fuses for the side mirrors and the power seats, that way they can't move them just to drive 30 seconds around the block!

that's an interesting life tip except for paying for a new car because you pulled the fuses out

Edited by legacyfan

50 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

How so?  Do you SELL YOUR HOUSE if a circuit breaker pops?

Fuses pop in and out no different than plugging your phone in to charge it.

Put the fuses back in when they give you your car back.

spacer.png

that would work as long as you don't lose the fuses :D

Edited by legacyfan

20 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Being the Funny Farm, I'll induldge and claim that there are multiple ways to interpret this.  I do NOT claim D.Draker to be in this list, I only read his reply and the "gears" started turning.

1)  I live in an expensive city, I am rich and can afford to live here.  You are poor and cannot afford to live here.  Please go back to where you are from, we are better off here without your presence.
    2)  I live in an expensive city, I am rich and can afford to live here.  I have to assume that the visiting foreigners leave because they are not rich.
    3)  I live in an expensive city, I am rich and can afford to live here.  I wish that our city turned ugly so that it is removed from international travel agency tourist attraction lists and I wouldn't have to deal with foreigners visiting all the time.
    4)  I live in an expensive city, I wonder if this city being so awesome is why we have so many foreigners visiting all the time?  I wonder if being a tourist attraction is why this city is an expensive city?
    5)  I live in an expensive city, I am living paycheck-to-paycheck and struggle to make ends meet.  But I love this city and it's worth the struggle.
    6)  I live in an expensive city, I am living paycheck-to-paycheck and struggle to make ends meet.  But I cannot save up enough money to afford to relocate so I am stuck with enduring this struggle.
    7)  I live in an expensive city, I wonder if all of these visiting foreigners are here to look for a new home, find it too expensive and can't afford it, so they leave?
    8)  I live in an expensive city, I wonder if all of these visitng foreigners saved 50 years just to be able to afford to visit this one-and-only-one expensive city?
    9)  I live in an expensive city, I wonder if all of these visiting foreigners are traveling the globe, one expensive city at a time, and living the Good Life having saved for an awesome retirement?

If you want me to reply, I need to know what exactly you define as rich. You, personally you. Maybe a couple of examples. The amount of tax-deducted income per month you find to be "rich".

Thanks.

9 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Tip to improve mental health  --  when you take your car to a repair shop for something you can't fix yourself, REMOVE the fuses for the side mirrors and the power seats, that way they can't move them just to drive 30 seconds around the block!

In theory good, but not for all places, I guess. Here we have workers (and even shop owners) from various countries with the skin colour you supposed to not notice, and they would simply REPLACE them and charge you for the work and for the price *at least thrice more* than they cost in any actual shop, when bought separately. For anyone who runs with their red flag ahead of the train , wanting to undeservedly accuse me of "racism", I wrote "not notice", ignore, that's what we actually do, and get astronomical prices in return. Then they make enormous amounts of money and get to the rich , "elite" in my country, while making zero good deeds for the city or the country. The locals were completely squeezed out of car (and not only car) businesses by the newcomers' gangs. This whole situation + "cozid" demands + enormous amounts of tourists (from which we, ordinary citizens see zero benefits) drove the prices sky high.

Up to 2000s something it was a good place to live. 

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

enormous amounts of tourists (from which we, ordinary citizens see zero benefits)

I would suggest "Don't bite the hand that feeds you".

I don't know your actual city, but do know that "socio-economics" can be very tricky.

Proximity to a great school system can greatly effect regional cost of living.

Regional climate can greatly effect cost of living.

Crime rates greatly effect cost of living.

Pollution greatly effects cost of living.

Think of your city as a checking account where all of the people that LIVE THERE earn their income (checking account deposit) FROM that city and pay for goods and services (checking account withdrawals) TO that city.

The city's "checking account" is self-sufficient in that its OWN deposits fund its OWN withdrawals.

Now add in these tourists - they earned their income half way across the globe but that handed it over to your city.

Generally speaking, having a great tourism industry BOOSTS the economy of that tourist attraction - money is brought in from ELSEWHERE and added to the city to redistribute through tourism industry wages and costs of goods and services.

I guess you could secretly pray to Mother Nature, the Crime Gods, and the Pollution Gods for an increase in bad weather, an increase in crime, and an increase in pollution, you'd have far fewer of these tourists.

On 5/11/2023 at 2:16 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

I’m pleased that this topic has been resurrected today because Mental Health Awareness Month is still in full swing and I sincerely believe that MSFN is one place that needs greater awareness of this issue! I posted this news in the Funny Farm subforum not so much because of its comedic potential but because “funny farm” is synonymous with “nut house,” “cuckoo’s nest,” or “insane asylum.”

Oops, I forgot about “loony bin“! :blushing: Are there any other English euphemisms for “insane asylum” or “mental hospital” that I haven’t mentioned?

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Oops, I forgot about “loony bin“! :blushing: Are there any other English euphemisms for “insane asylum” or “mental hospital” that I haven’t mentioned?

Bedlam or booby hatch.

I didn’t recall that “Bedlam” once referred to a specific psychiatric hospital in the UK. (In 20th-century American literature it generally meant “scene of confusion.”) I don’t think I ever heard “booby hatch” at all, but it checks out. 👍

In the early 1990s when Terminator 2 was a very popular movie, the term “Pescadero” came into limited usage, e.g. “Certain members belong in Pescadero.” The literal Spanish meaning is “fishmonger,” but in T2 it was the facility where Sarah Connor was incarcerated for believing in time-traveling terminators and attempting to blow up Cyberdyne Systems. :cool: The sign said it was “a criminally disordered retention facility.” ;)

15 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I didn’t recall that “Bedlam” once referred to a specific psychiatric hospital in the UK. (In 20th-century American literature it generally meant “scene of confusion.”) I don’t think I ever heard “booby hatch” at all, but it checks out. 👍

In the early 1990s when Terminator 2 was a very popular movie, the term “Pescadero” came into limited usage, e.g. “Certain members belong in Pescadero.” The literal Spanish meaning is “fishmonger,” but in T2 it was the facility where Sarah Connor was incarcerated for believing in time-traveling terminators and attempting to blow up Cyberdyne Systems. :cool: The sign said it was “a criminally disordered retention facility.” ;)

Bedlam is more like purely British, booby hatch is Transatlantic, I guess. I'm terribly sorry, we aren't really familiar with the nuances of Amercian English here. 

100% schools in Europe =  British English.

AU, NZ, Canada, South Africa , India and pretty much the rest of the world = British English.

I also understand it like it was my first language, similar spellings and words.