Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

Safer-Networking "Spybot - Search & Destroy" 
It is officially offered for Windows XP in legacy version 2.4.40.0 (2014-10-22).
https://download.spybot.info/Spybot2/
It is a free anti-spyware program that offers the possibility of working as an antivirus in a paid version.
I downloaded this version 2.4.40 in 2014 and it seemed more complicated than version 1.6.2, so I have since discarded the program.
Now I see that it was the last version for XP and that the database is updated to the current date.
Definitions can be downloaded in sideload for v. 2.x
Version 1.6.2 is also officially offered
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-1-6-2-mirror-1/

Edited by Cixert

11 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

...Why is SUPERAntiSpyware worthless or useless in your eyes? You said you hadn't used it for more than 4 years. So from what experience do you base such a statement? :dubbio:

Tangy could ask you the same question, since you posted a screenshot on June 12 showing “Last scan was 3 years ago” and Real-Time Protection “Not Protected”:

On 6/12/2023 at 6:14 AM, AstroSkipper said:

SUPERAnti-Spyware.png

Evidently you were not actually using SAS Professional at all until Cixert posted about it on June 11 - despite having a “Lifetime Professional Subscription.” (You did run a scan on June 18, but I assume that nothing was detected.) It’s understandable that SAS fell into disuse, since you had better security software installed - specifically Avast Premier until a few months ago, which is probably the best available option - particularly since you regard both Norton and Kaspersky as verboten.

10 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

In a nutshell, one now understand very well what kind of communication and apparent argumentation you favour. Thank you for the enlightening insight! :P

I’m surprised that statement only got a “Like” and not an “Upvote” from someone who has no real interest in this topic. 🤔 Perhaps your attempt at sarcasm was deemed rather weak? In any case, your reputation is certain to rise as long as I am perceived as being “against” you, which is fine with me! Let’s keep up the debate my friend! :P

Thank you @AstroSkipper It is due to my personal experience using aforesaid product which you might denote it as subjective. There is an ongoing thread Wilders Security. Please see link below :

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/superantispyware-updates-news.391893/

I am absolutely sure you are aware of that.

Quite a few, not very encouraging  comments on Reddit .

Also there is this youtube video where this product is tested against 575 malware.

This video is in Portuguese. You can always put English or German subtitles.

I have to say that I am enjoying this new thread very much indeed.

Thank you

Cheers !

Edited by Tangy
Typo

21 minutes ago, Cixert said:

Safer Networking "Spybot - Search & Destroy" 
It is officially offered for Windows XP in legacy version 2.4.40.0 (2014-10-22).
https://download.spybot.info/Spybot2/
It is a free anti-spyware program that offers the possibility of working as an antivirus in a paid version.
I downloaded this version 2.4.40 in 2014 and it seemed more complicated than version 1.6.2, so I have since discarded the program.
Now I see that it was the last version for XP and that the database is updated to the current date.
Definitions can be downloaded in sideload for v. 2.x
Version 1.6.2 is also officially offered
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-1-6-2-mirror-1/

First of all, and as I already said, I appreciate your contributions here very much. :thumbup You provide facts as objectively as possible. You are really interested in collecting security programmes which still work under Windows XP. And you are very helpful here. :yes:
Thank you for that! smilie_d_002.gif All of this is not a matter of course! :no:
According to Spybot - Search & Destroy, I used it in times of Windows ME and some years under Windows XP. Therefore, I know it very well. Great to hear that the database is still updated for the old, abandoned version 1.6.2 which is indeed the last version targeting Windows XP. For a long time, I liked it very much. Unfortunately, I had stability issues and problems with updating the database. That was one reason I stopped using it. But nevertheless, this programme was already on my list. And due to the fact that the database updating still works as you reported, it is an option for Windows XP, of course. :)

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

’m surprised that statement only got a “Like” and not an “Upvote” from someone who has no real interest in this topic. 🤔 Perhaps your attempt at sarcasm was deemed rather weak? In any case, your reputation is certain to rise as long as I am perceived as being “against” you, which is fine with me! Let’s keep up the debate my friend! :P

Just a reminder! A quotation from my first, introducing post when I started this thread:

On 4/28/2023 at 8:37 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Just for clarification, insulting, provocative or completely off-topic posts (especially about operating systems other than Windows XP) will not be tolerated. snegatif.gif

Think about that! webmaster.gif
And there is nothing more to say, unfortunately. jexplique.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

2 hours ago, Tangy said:

Yes I am. Version 18.8. Everything is tickety-boo.

A good choice! I used Avast Premier for many years. I personally had a lot of trouble with the version 18.8, though. But as long as it works for you, it will protect you in any case. And its dedection rate is good. I already wrote about Avast here:

Kind regards, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Just a reminder!....[wagging finger emoji]

“Physician, heal thyself.” :whistle:

14 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

In a nutshell, one now understand very well what kind of communication and apparent argumentation you favour. Thank you for the enlightening insight! :P

Sounded a little “insulting, provocative   or completely off-topic” to me, but I’m not that easily offended. (You’d have to work at it like D.Draker did.) :yes:

I could not resist the temptation. This beauty of a firewall is still available Sygate Personal Firewall ( spf ) which you may downloaded from here :https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sygate_personal_firewall_free.html

I think majorgeeks  seems to be a safe site.

I did use it for a bit over 6 months and I found it to be rather good. The thing is I am a pc tools person ever since the days of windows 2000  nt pro.

I guess the jury is out.

@AstroSkipper give us your verdict then.

21 hours ago, Tangy said:

Thank you @AstroSkipper It is due to my personal experience using aforesaid product which you might denote it as subjective. There is an ongoing thread Wilders Security. Please see link below :

Also there is this youtube video where this product is tested against 575 malware.

Thank you

Cheers !

subtitles don't work for me. Only offers me Portuguese subs

On 6/21/2023 at 9:20 PM, Tangy said:

Thank you @AstroSkipper It is due to my personal experience using aforesaid product which you might denote it as subjective. There is an ongoing thread Wilders Security.

Thanks for your reply, @Tangy! You talk about your personal, subjective experiences, but you haven't written what they are. So what are your own experiences when using SUPERAntiSpyware? :dubbio: And of course, I don't mean what others have written.

Please see link below :

The thread in Wilders Security Forums is relatively meaningless. A few negative, a few positive, all rather lacking in content and the last pages, which are somewhat more recent, only contain update information. Everything before that is outdated and irrelevant. Unfortunately, this is not a quotable source, but rather for the bin.

As you said, it is a video in Portuguese. There are no English or German subtitles. Only an automatic translation which is awful. And what is tested there is nothing official and unfortunately total nonsense. If you had done a little more research, you would have noticed that SUPERAntiSpyware is not a complete antivirus programme and should only be used in addition. So what is tested in the video is obviously nonsense and can only lead to disaster. Unfortunately, this kind of video is dubious and should be taken with a grain of salt. Apart from that, this is an English speaking forum. Please post videos in English only! I do not post videos in German here, either. Nevertheless, thanks for your good will! :)

Thank you

Cheers !

You're welcome! Glad to hear you like my thread. :)

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 6/22/2023 at 6:35 AM, Tangy said:

I guess the jury is out.

@AstroSkipper give us your verdict then.

:buehehe: Very funny! But all joking aside, here is the corrected version:

On 6/22/2023 at 6:35 AM, Tangy said:

@AstroSkipper give us me your verdict opinion then.

There is no jury here. :no: And therefore there is no verdict. :no: You can only get information here. And since you're the only one who asked, I can only answer you first. Here is a hint once again:

On 6/18/2023 at 10:16 PM, AstroSkipper said:

In this thread, I list all possible editions of antimalware and other security programmes. Nothing more and nothing less. smilie_denk_24.gif
... I provide information, the mature reader can decide for himself what to do with it. smilie_denk_24.gif

I used Sygate Personal Firewall under Windows ME and for a while under Windows XP. It was my favourite firewall for a long time in the old days. It is still installed in my Windows ME partition which I never deleted for historical reasons. I used the German version Sygate Personal Firewall Platinum 5.5.2307.0 from 2004. Later, I changed to the English version Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.6.3408.0 from 2005. Due to some reasons, I stopped using it under Windows XP. Sygate Personal Firewall could not recognise certain processes that wanted to connect to the Internet via other processes, such as web filtering processes.There were no more updates, and the problems could accordingly no longer be fixed. In addition, there were no more definition updates. So I switched to more modern firewalls with a heavy heart. :( Presumably, due to Sygate's age, IPv6 support is also missing. In a nutshell, Sygate Personal Firewall is too old (abandoned 2005), it is therefore not on my list, and I won't write an article about it, unfortunately. It is still a good firewall for Windows ME (or Windows 98), but IMHO definitely no longer an option for Windows XP.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Here is a quotation about security programmes and their age from my introducing post:

On 4/28/2023 at 8:37 PM, AstroSkipper said:

I will only include programs in this list that receive updates in some form, be it program updates, definition updates or database updates. With the exception, of course, that there are also programs that do not necessarily need such updates.

On 5/16/2023 at 9:20 PM, AstroSkipper said:

The last working firewalls will be listed here, of course. A firewall does not need necessarily updates if it still works properly in Windows XP.

And of course, most important is that they have to be fully working without any issues. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content