Blockbuster Video About To Make A Comeback

legacyfan

Is Blockbuster video about to make a ComeBack? By Stuart Heritage Thu 23 Mar 2023 10.57 EDT                                                                                                                                                                                                                Link To The Article Read More On The Guardian

Edited by legacyfan
Fixed Post To Comply With The Forum Rules

• legacyfan changed the title to Is Blockbuster Video About To Make A ComeBack?

This is a last warning to anyone who wants to take up this trend of using MSFN as some sort of news aggregate. You cannot continue to copy/paste large portions of articles from other sites into posts. Either paste no text and leave the link, or if you want to paste text you need to use the Quote function. And that is the quote button on the reply textbox and not just the quotation marks on the keyboard.

56 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

This is a last warning to anyone who wants to take up this trend of using MSFN as some sort of news aggregate. You cannot continue to copy/paste large portions of articles from other sites into posts. Either paste no text and leave the link, or if you want to paste text you need to use the Quote function. And that is the quote button on the reply textbox and not just the quotation marks on the keyboard.

A good alternative could be avoiding altogether posting this kind of news on MSFN which is (or has been till now, or should be) a technical board and not a social media site, nor a news aggregator (of course IMHO).

jaclaz

3 hours ago, jaclaz said:

A good alternative could be avoiding altogether posting this kind of news on MSFN which is (or has been till now, or should be) a technical board and not a social media site, nor a news aggregator (of course IMHO).

jaclaz

It's a very, very risky suggestion ! Why ? Simple, they will have no info to post then and spam the hell out of all techno-related topics with "hi, how are you ?" , "hi, I'm fine , thanks, what about you today?".

"Me too", "How do you like my English", "My English is excellent because I studied it for 1086 years". Or with the "famous" crap about likes/upvotes.

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

sorry @Tripredacus I promise I will never post things like this again and to follow th guidelines

• legacyfan changed the title to Blockbuster Video About To Make A Comeback
2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

It's a very, very risky suggestion !

Risk is relative, there are much more risky things.

Only as an example I use as a browser Opera, Kasperski as antivirus, and Softmaker as office suite (without having checked the german ancestry of the programmers of the latter company).

jaclaz

3 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Only as an example I use as a browser Opera, Kasperski as antivirus ....

A member with 1.5K reputation warns you against using Opera. 

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184594-web-fingerprinting-sees-through-vpns-and-incognito-mode/?do=findComment&comment=1243551

Addition -

I wrote about the dangers of Kasperski last year, but I only joined recently, no such standing in the community yet.

Edited by Cocodile

Yep, and I am around here since almost 20 years and have nearly 21k posts, 1.8k reputation[1], what gives?

To be picky (as I am) the user you linked to did nothing but repost the opinion of  a known expert (Kim Komando).

I prefer Armand Gracious as an expert:

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/experts.html

jaclaz

[1] which is anyway meaningless metric.

On 4/14/2023 at 5:06 PM, jaclaz said:

Only as an example I use as a browser Opera, Kasperski as antivirus, and Softmaker as office suite (without having checked the german ancestry of the programmers of the latter company).

jaclaz

I actually agree with you about the Germans, they're cool !

OK, and what will happen if you find out the devs are French ?

There's nothing wrong with French developers, just sayin'. The famous VLC is French, for example.

About the dangers hidden in Opera, the folks are right, you can visit my topic with my modded Opera, I wrote a script to block the china/yandex spying connections.

On 4/14/2023 at 6:09 PM, jaclaz said:

Yep, and I am around here since almost 20 years and have nearly 21k posts, 1.8k reputation[1], what gives?

To be picky (as I am) the user you linked to did nothing but repost the opinion of  a known expert (Kim Komando).

I prefer Armand Gracious as an expert:

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/experts.html

jaclaz

[1] which is anyway meaningless metric.

The link looks spammy, absolutely not funny, and most importantly, it has zero relation to any actual techinical topics.

13 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

i'm not familiar Armand Gracious, but I read it as jaclaz being sarcastic due to the date on the Armand Gracious article.

Yep, that mock page has been on Dedoimedo since many years, the date is automatically updated to some 5 years in the future.

14 hours ago, Cocodile said:

The link looks spammy, absolutely not funny, and most importantly, it has zero relation to any actual techinical topics.

The idea of that post is EXACTLY that of looking spammy.

Whether it is funny or not is just a matter of opinions, but contains some good technical references, as an example "an example of a well-crafted socially-engineered email that is so convincing most people will fall for it":

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/email.html

Apart from these humour things, another example here:

https://www.dedoimedo.com/life/guide-trolling.html

Dedoimedo is like the most reliable, unbiased and honest source for reviews of software and particularly Linux related ones, but has also a Windows section and many other ones .

From its FAQs:

https://www.dedoimedo.com/faq.html

What is Dedoimedo?

Dedoimedo is a website dedicated to technology and software education, science, art, and (often dark) humor. It aims to provide best, most detailed and accurate guides and articles on the Web, on a wide range of topics; operating systems, application reviews, security, and more. Furthermore, Dedoimedo also covers computer games, car reviews, 3D art, popular physics, and life philosophy.

jaclaz

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

The idea of that post is EXACTLY that of looking spammy.

Agreed!

Firefox has never had a market share of 40% - it peaked at just under 32% and will likely never return to exceeding even 5% due to the MacOS/Safari rise.

Here's a nice animated chart for browser market share  --  https://www.visualcapitalist.com/internet-browser-market-share/

November 2020  --  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/StatCounter-browser-ww-monthly-202011-202011-bar.png

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames