ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.1030 rebuild 8

4 hours ago, Milkinis said:

There are 466 known vulnerabilities in this version :cool:

https://chromiumchecker.com/

In a nutshell - not relevant.  For one, that only tracks "official Chromium", not Chromium Forks.

Further, this sort of "vulnerability tracking" is only relevant to those that do not run XP.

If you are "concerned" or "worried" when you visit a "report" such as that, then XP IS NOT FOR YOU.  Neither is Win10, as far as that goes.

When a user opts to run "older" Operating Systems and in turn Browsers working on Older NT-Family OSes (ie, the TITLE OF THIS THREAD), that user is aware and ACCEPTS the RISKS associated therein.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Heyas,

Needed a pure 32bit system for ancient applications and 3d modeling software, built up an old socket 478 pentium 4 again, the whole browser problem made my stomach sink. So many forums browsed, browsers tried, slow, unable to add extensions, myriads of other issues. Found this site, began trying 360 EE variants, then found this! It's an entire game changer for Winxp! Gmail, Web Skype, Web Discord, Browses google images fast, Ublock origin, any forum I've been to, all works!

Stomach sinking feeling averted. Joy and a huge smile ensuing. Awoke feeling it may have been just a dream, but nope. It works.

As for the above posts about security flaws, welcome to Windows Xp in 2023. Personally wouldn't be doing any sensitive online things with it. That Chromium report would be minor compared to a sister version of 'Winxp known vulnerabilities in 2023'. 

NotHereToPlayGames, Thank you so very much. No one can expect one person, or even a dozen to make a 100% secure browser for WinXp. Best any reasonable person can expect is functionality and ease of use. This has that. I'm glad you have been kind enough, and have the knowledge to have made this work for Xp users.

~ Rosey

Win Xp Pro 32bit Sp3.

Specs: P4, 3.4ghz Socket 478, Gt 9400, 4gb Ddr2 667
Used: 360ChromePortable_13.5.1030_r8_regular_webgl-enabled_translate-enabled_win-10-skin.zip

Agreed and many thanks.

Yes, 360Chrome has been a game-changer for me as well (unsure how long it will last).

42 minutes ago, Rosey said:

That Chromium report would be minor compared to a sister version of 'Winxp known vulnerabilities in 2023'. 

I'd be curious on XP versus Vista versus 7.

My paradigm is that NEW vulnerabilities are created only for NEW operating systems.

How many people in the entire universe spends their time seeking out vulnerabilities and seeking to gain access to Win 3.1 systems?

One also has to remember that CVE "vulnerabilities" are often times "theoretical" and have never been encountered "in the wild".

Don't misread, we must "safeguard" and all of us MSFN XP users have our own lines of defense - we're not running the streets naked, as the saying goes.

13 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Links for Rebuild 6.  Not rebased.  But will also be missing other miscellaneous changes made along the way as I do not document "change logs" for such a niche project.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwtlmyoebk4j0hc/360ChromePortable_13.5.1030_rebuild_6_ungoogled.zip?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sn3s4ra40gby6cp/360ChromePortable_13.5.1030_rebuild_6.zip?dl=1

I have replaced the chrome.dll and will test it.
I don't have to change anything else, do I?

"chromiumchecker"...Behave badly, and is for version identification purpose ONLY.

MY DCBrowser get "It looks like you're using Chrome 79" haha, it's truly Chromium 75, you see...

- into the bin with it, quickly.

- but MiniBrowser and 360Chrome, it checks correctly, bizarre

EDIT: 

Chromiumchecker in a defenseless browser (without uBlock or other extensions...) makes it freeze, the browser doesn't work anymore, no mouse clicks... malware behavior, beware!

Thank you Hetzner Online GmbH (hetzner.com) with many 157.90.175.88 requests...

Edited by msfntor

11 minutes ago, msfntor said:

"chromiumchecker"...Behave badly, and is for version identification purpose ONLY.

It's basically a nice "history".

It basically only COUNTS how many "vulnerabilities" have been "fixed" with each Chromium Release and adds them all up dating back to the User Agent version it sees you on.

It's nice "hype and propaganda" marketing to scare the masses into running the "latest-and-greatest".

If you think about it, all it really does is reveal how truly "bad" Chromium has been over the years by informing just how many vulnerabilities have been "patched" with BANDAID FIXES over said years.

Think Microsoft versus Linux.

People love to put Microsoft down and claim that if it was designed properly, there would never be a need for "Patch Tuesday".

As if somehow Linux never gets any "patches" ???

What would be nice is a historical comparison to Firefox.

Something that reports "Chromium has fixed this-many-hundred vulnerabilities since version X in the year 2000" and compare that to "Firefox has fixed this-many-hundred vulnerabilities since version Y in the year 2000" - then compare those two numbers.

But it also reveals how "bad" the versions have been over the years.

I mean, a high school senior could design a web browser for a school project and it have 5,000 vulnerabilites - he'd still get an A on the project because nobody else in high school could "code" a web browser.

He/She could improve that project the following year as a college freshman and get it down to 2,000 vulnerabilities - does that make it ready for Prime Time because 3,000 vulnerabilities were "fixed" ???

54 minutes ago, msfntor said:

Chromiumchecker in a defenseless browser (without uBlock or other extensions...) makes it freeze, the browser doesn't work anymore, no mouse clicks... malware behavior, beware!

Thank you Hetzner Online GmbH (hetzner.com) with many 157.90.175.88 requests...

Yikes!

I only run these member-supplied "checks" in a VirtualBox and holy cow, thank goodness by the sounds of it.

I have a "line of defense" in my everyday browsing that ALL of these member-supplied "checks" try to force me to run without - not gonna happen for me and my Host OS!

Kind of like never opening an email if you don't know who the sender is, never click a link in an email from an unknown sender, et cetera.

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Yikes!

I only run these member-supplied "checks" in a VirtualBox and holy cow, thank goodness by the sounds of it.

I have a "line of defense" in my everyday browsing that ALL of these member-supplied "checks" try to force me to run without - not gonna happen for me and my Host OS!

Kind of like never opening an email if you don't know who the sender is, never click a link in an email from an unknown sender, et cetera.

Source code for chromium checker website (demo) by Thomas101 (German author) . Looks pretty legit. I kinda understand your rage because

it's the only site that DETECTS the spinning disks "feature" on your favourite browser.

It's called file system api . That crap spins up sleeping HDDs to scan the files.

https://github.com/wavebox/chromium-checker-site

Screenshot_20230330_054801.png

On 3/29/2023 at 3:14 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

In a nutshell - not relevant.  For one, that only tracks "official Chromium", not Chromium Forks.

Further, this sort of "vulnerability tracking" is only relevant to those that do not run XP.

If you are "concerned" or "worried" when you visit a "report" such as that, then XP IS NOT FOR YOU.  Neither is Win10, as far as that goes.

When a user opts to run "older" Operating Systems and in turn Browsers working on Older NT-Family OSes (ie, the TITLE OF THIS THREAD), that user is aware and ACCEPTS the RISKS associated therein.

I have a question (not intended as a mockery), why you just won't upgrade the engine yourself ?

As you may have noticed,I ignore your topics to avoid one enraged player and the home brewed "rules".

I'll continue to ignore, don't worry, but it won't stop other people from posting regarding the ancient age of the browser, as we all see.

This project has NEVER been intended to carry XP into the year 2030 and beyond.  NEVER.

This project was intended only to "extend" XP and buy me some time before migrating to Win10.

This project has served the purpose that I needed it for, I no longer install XP on any of my re-installs, all re-installs have been migrated to Win10 one-by-one.

I follow the lead of "professional programmers", none of them devote time to XP, Vista, or 7.

Hobbyists, yes.  But "professional programmers" have moved on.

As much as I respect and appreciate the user base (which you yourself, D.Draker, admit that you are not among) of my 360Chrome "rebuilds", I encourage that user base to actually take that same path.

That path being to migrate away from XP, skip right over Vista and 7, get 10 or 11 to your liking (you will need other forums for that learning curve), and you should be fine until the year 2030.

Trying to get XP to carry me into the year 2030 is a dog chasing its tail, I am not a dog.

Again, I never set out to carry XP into the year 2030.

What we have currently should carry us forward 2 or 3 more years, that is pure speculation for any of us to guess.

That has served the only purpose I set out to fulfill - buy me some time.  "Mission accomplished."