ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.1030 rebuild 8

On 3/23/2023 at 2:22 PM, Ascii2 said:

What you call the "Win2k-basic-gray" is the normal, window title bar without any visual styling. Visual styling such as the Luna blue styling appears to style over the normal windows, or normal with size and color characteristics modified.  Programs that use their own styling (skinning), like 360Chrome, style over regular windows.  When something extra to normal operations happens, such as a program crash, the true, unstylized Windows Title bar might show.  It might show before or after the crash information dialog appears.

How often do you see the "Win2k-basic-gray"?
How often is the 360Chrome styling/skinning "above" versus "below"?
Do you know the height of the "Win2k-basic-gray" title bar and did you decrease this height?

Just curious in case I revisit a possible Win2k Theme.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

On 3/30/2023 at 9:52 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

That path being to migrate away from XP, skip right over Vista and 7, get 10 or 11 to your liking (you will need other forums for that learning curve), and you should be fine until the year 2030.

Got any particular forum in mind?

18 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Got any particular forum in mind?

Not really.

Will depend largely on what version of Win10 you use.

I prefer 2016 LTSB and WinReducerEX100.

Other versiosn of Win10 will require much more, things like PowerShell scripts to get rid of "metro" bloat.

I'm technically only about 90% in on my Win10 migration as I have encountered a small snag with .net frameworks being enabled out-of-the-box directly after install.

5 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Other versiosn of Win10 will require much more, things like PowerShell scripts to get rid of "metro" bloat.

Doesn't bother me TBH.

I guess I don't find much on forums that would make OS particularly better for me, besides the usual software. I've spent most of the time putting together compatible theme with Windows 7 aesthetics.

23 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

How often do you see the "Win2k-basic-gray"?

To be clear, what you have called "Win2k-basic-gray" is the base window styling of an inactive window.  When the window is active the title bar appears as a blue gradient  by default.  The appearance of these Title Bar stylings are not unique to Windows 2000.  Since, I believe, an edition Windows 98, Microsoft started using Title Bars with a blue gradient styling by default.  The exact default gradients, as seen in Windows 2000 family operating systems, and I believe also Windows Millennium Edition, became used and thereafter used.  As of Windows XP RTM, the operating system provided for its own skinning of windows (the skins are known as Visual Styles) as part of the Themes system service.  As of Windows 8, disabling the system skinning is still possible, but not normally (disabling the Themes service no longer would work) and it appears that the operating system was adjusted so that it does not normally happen; a user wanting to disable or opt not to use the visual styling would have to do quite a bit of much more complex work to achieve it (I do not recall exactly what).

Windows_Classic_Style_JPEG.jpg.fba81cb448b84ba6f39d008b47c75740.jpgDisplay_Properties_Advanced_Appearance_JPEG.jpg.b4079313e6b4adcbf80a4d35b35dbfae.jpg

I have set my system (Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3) Display Properties to use "Windows Classic style" for "Windows and buttons" (see attached picture for reference). I see the Windows Classic style gray (with gradient) title bar whenever a window that is not set as active displays and so long as the there is no styling being provided by another source (such as by a software program).  There can be only one window with a designation of active, so all other un-skinned (by the operating system) windows would have the gray title bar.  I work with many windows and I see very many gray Title Bars while doing so.  In the case of 360Chrome, I only encounter the regular, unskinned, title bar (gray (inactive) or blue (active)) when the application crashes, and usually when I interact with something in a window or elsewhere (for which case I think the operating system interacts with the Title Bars of the all open windows).  Presumably, the display of the true window Title Bars happens because the skinning program or program that displays a non-standard, customized window (as is the case with 360Chrome) fails to maiming its skin functions or painting and then the title bar part of the window is otherwise interacted with by other process (such as the operating system; the rest of the window may still display as it was last painted prior to the crash).

How often is the 360Chrome styling/skinning "above" versus "below"?

I am not sure where the "above" and "below" are referenced/quoted from and cannot provide a good answer to the question.

Do you know the height of the "Win2k-basic-gray" title bar and did you decrease this height?

Yes.  For both active and inactive Title Bars, the default height is 18 pixels.

The default windows border (shown when the window floats and is not maximized or minimized) size is 3 pixels, a white pixel between two gray pixels.

The window boarder is rather interesting.  When the boarder is set in the Advanced Appearance dialog box (both Inactive Window Boarder and Active Window Boarder both change together), the resulting boarder is the given amount plus some.  When the boarder is left at the default size of 1, the resulting boarder is 3 pixels, one while pixel between two gray pixels.  When the boarder size is set to 9, the resulting boarder size is 12 pixels, 10 gray pixels, extending from what is otherwise the window, followed by a white pixel, and then a gray pixel.

I have not decreased or otherwise changed my Title Bar heights.

Windows_Classic_Style_TIF.tif Display_Properties_Advanced_Appearance_TIF.tif

Edited by Ascii2

On 4/1/2023 at 10:07 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Have you used this to compare rebuild 6 to rebuild 8?

No, cause I don't more have rebuild 6 - could you post the link to download this version (if not by PM...), please?

I have: 

360Chrome 13.5.1030 r7reg

360Chrome 13.5.2022 r3reg

360Chrome 13.5.1030r8r webgld_trd_w10

360Chrome 13.5.1030r8r webgle_trd_w10 - but this one have no possibility to download extensions....:dubbio:

(window: An error has occurred Could not move extension directory into profile. Reload Close) - I've posted already about this problem...

... have too three Modified forks: 11, 12, 13.

I have found these web sites that have a page load time counter:

Page loaded in ... ms: http://raymondhill.net/ublock/tiles1.html

Web Page Load Timer (on hashemian.com): https://www.hashemian.com/tools/page-load-timer.htm

JavaScript Web Page Load Time (on hashemian.com): https://www.hashemian.com/tools/page-load-time.htm - scroll to: "Your connection took 1.147 seconds to load this page" green inscription. 

Pingdom Website Speed Test: https://tools.pingdom.com/

Loading Time, Requests, Total Size - on uptime.com: https://uptime.com/freetools/website-speed-test

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

146 KB.

Thank you!

Would you like to develop a silver theme like the one I mentioned, but much lighter, please?

- so like this one: Aero Trans Brushed Metal Theme: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/aero-trans-brushed-metal/jkjdfchjlhkgnfjblhclgaliiccalckf?hl=en-US

Best of all, that New Tab is silver too!

VERY nice skin!

Edited by msfntor
added please