Windows XP x64 How To Install It From USB FlashDrive? (With Specs)

I decided I might go with XP x86 instead as its much more stable then the x64 version and also has better flashdrive support for it

Edited by legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to Windows XP x64 Not Detecting Hard Drive During Setup? (With Specs)

@legacyfan

I think there is some misunderstanding going on.

The present thread is perfectly fine, and you need not to apologize for your posts in it, you had a (real) technical problem and asked for help, which led to some related discussions on the methods used or usable.

This is exactly the main scope of MSFN, to exchange ideas, knowledge, opinions mainly on (computer related) technical themes.

jaclaz

5 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

@legacyfan

I think there is some misunderstanding going on.

The present thread is perfectly fine, and you need not to apologize for your posts in it, you had a (real) technical problem and asked for help, which led to some related discussions on the methods used or usable.

This is exactly the main scope of MSFN, to exchange ideas, knowledge, opinions mainly on (computer related) technical themes.

jaclaz

I understand now sorry for the mix up 

4 hours ago, legacyfan said:

I decided I might go with XP x86 instead as its much more stable then the x64 version and also has better flashdrive support for it

If I had to choose between Windows XP x86 and x64, I would always go with x86. The driver support is much better in x86. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 3/3/2023 at 12:27 PM, Dietmar said:

@Cocodile

I think, his board has only Sata connectors.

And when you are lucky, your Bios offers you the possibility to use them as IDE-drive

Dietmar

HP BIOS is usually very stripped down. What does the author want to tell us about his BIOS ?

• legacyfan changed the title to Windows XP x64 How To Install It From USB FlashDrive? (With Specs)
  • 6 months later...
On 3/3/2023 at 2:51 PM, legacyfan said:

Nonsense!

I use WinXP SP2 64-bit for about 13 years and works very stable.

And install from a pendrive best using a GRUB4DOS - I wrote about it somewhere on the forum - look.

On 10/4/2023 at 2:08 AM, reboot12 said:

Nonsense!

I use WinXP SP2 64-bit for about 13 years and works very stable.

And install from a pendrive best using a GRUB4DOS - I wrote about it somewhere on the forum - look.

I second that. Been using XP 64 for years. The process for making USB bootable in XP 64 is the same as XP 32. Driver support was bad at first like it was for Vista 64 at first. You had to throw out printers and scanners that just didn't want to make a 64 bit driver. But after the 64 bit adoption period ended XP 64 has more or less the same driver support as 32bit. Sure if you use hardware from 2001 it might not have 64 bit drivers. But my motherboard from 2014 has all the drivers for XP 64 bit. I can vouch that XP 64 is even more stable than 32 bit because it's based of the Server version. It simply never crashes.

Tutorial here: 

Edited by tekkaman

@tekkaman

You write nicely about WinXP 64-bit but you will not create a bootable pendrive with Rufus or Win32 Disk Imager.

To make a bootable one you have to do like this:

WinXP SP2 64-bit installation method from ISO image loaded to the RAM using the WinVBlock driver & GRUB4DOS

• needed e.g. 1 or 2GB pendrive in good condition - to make sure that it is in good condition, you need to zero the whole flash drive, e.g. with BootICE or diskpart (Win7 or newer) and clean all option
  • format it to FAT32 with USB Disk Storage Format
    usb-format.png
  • install GRUB4DOS on this USB flash drive
    grub4dos.png
  • extract winxp_usb.zip to the pendrive: grldr, menu.lst, winvblock.ima
  • rename your WinXP 64-bit ISO to xp.iso and copy to pendrive
    pendrive.png
  • boot from this USB and select: TXT-Setup WinXP - phase 1 - press F6 to load WinVBlock 64-bit driver
    select-Win-VBlock-x64.png
  • when the message to restart the computer appears, restart it from USB but this time select: GUI-Setup WinXP - phase 2
  • when phase 2 of the installation is complete and the computer restarts, boot it from the hard disk

Note1: You must have at least 1GB RAM for the xp.iso image to fit in the memory

Note2: If the flash drive is detected by the BIOS as USB-FDD and not USB-HDD, then you have to remove this lines from the menu.lst file:

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

Note3: The PC in which you install the system must have an IDE (PATA) or SATA disk and Compatibility option enabled in the BIOS. If there is no Compatibility option in the BIOS, then you need to integrate first the SATA driver with nLite to ISO image.

Edited by reboot12

Thanks for the tutorial. I think  that it was also possible to make a bootable XP 64 with diskpart from Windows 7 and it works as well. I haven't had the need to do it so much because I have an external Blu ray drive but I think the process was easier. I don't remember ever needing a USB driver to be able to run setup. But maybe it's because my motherboard is newer. Anyways it's been so long since I had the need to do it. My XP 64 install was from 2017 and I haven't needed to reinstall Windows since then. All I know is that there was an easier process to install. Just don't remember exactly what it was. If I have time I'll check it out.

By the way. You're right about the Sata-Achci drivers. I just included them With Nlite.

Edited by tekkaman

2 hours ago, tekkaman said:

I think  that it was also possible to make a bootable XP 64 with diskpart from Windows 7 and it works as well.

Yes, but it's not here to make a bootable flash drive but how to install WinXP 64-bit from this flash drive.

BTW. I have introduced several cosmetic corrections in the menu.lst - new link to archive winxp_usb.zip updated in the previous post

phase1-1.png

phase1-2.png

phase2.png

Edited by reboot12