Last Version of Software for Windows 8.1

xedakide

On 7/15/2023 at 9:48 PM, adi2137px said:

supermium is already based on 117, works very good on 7 so ofc it will work on 8.1

Could the original Chromium Browser also made compatible with 7/8.1 again by applying the same changes the Supermium Team did? Like those changes in Chromium.dll for example

On 7/17/2023 at 11:44 AM, yoltboy01 said:

Could the original Chromium Browser also made compatible with 7/8.1 again by applying the same changes the Supermium Team did? Like those changes in Chromium.dll for example

I'm afraid not, because it would require backporting the whole shared memory API from Windows 10 build 1809 to windows 8.1. Better/easier/legally safer to build chromium from scratch (source), which is open, so anyone can try.

After all this time, does AC Valhalla run on Windows 8.1?

On one hand, you need directx12 and windows 8.1 is only compatible with directx11.1.

On another, perhaps a fix exists? Please let me know.

9 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

Has anyone not been able to update Windows Defender on Windows 8 for the past week or two?

Yes.   In fact, I installed Windows 8 x64 on my laptop yesterday, and am running a full scan this morning.  Windows Defender is working normally on both computers.

7 hours ago, Dixel said:

I'm afraid not, because it would require backporting the whole shared memory API from Windows 10 build 1809 to windows 8.1. Better/easier/legally safer to build chromium from scratch (source), which is open, so anyone can try.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you/or anyone know what changed between Chromium 114 and 115 that the browser does not work anymore on Windows 8.1? Starting with 115 it instantly crashes, whereas 114 would work perfectly fine without any glitches. I changed DiscardVirtualMemory to VirtualAlloc but still. No luck.

8 hours ago, Dixel said:

whole shared memory API from Windows 10 build 1809

Why 1809? Chromium 117 works even on TH2 version (1511). So maybe this API is not needed after all

Edited by TSNH

3 hours ago, TSNH said:

Why 1809? Chromium 117 works even on TH2 version (1511). So maybe this API is not needed after all

Maybe it works now, but what about later? You want someone to waste enormous amounts of time porting something that already 8 years old? From what I see in their development, they are going the route of increasing the dependencies on the newer memory functions, which was not yet widely used in the early Windows 10 releases. 

TH2 version (1511) is from 2015, windows 8.1 is from 2013, do the math.

Besides, more and more software will rely on that function, you wouldn't want to use only chrome 117 on your 8.1 OS, would you? Right, you would want games, photoshop, etc. Even now, for many major software 1803 is the cut-off minimum, so 1809 is the sweet point right now. But like I said earlier, Chrome is open source, so people are welcome to prove me wrong, and I'd be glad  to see it!

23 hours ago, Dixel said:

Why, really?

DiscardVirtualMemory  is supported Windows 8.1 [desktop apps | UWP apps]

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/memoryapi/nf-memoryapi-discardvirtualmemory

It is indeed, however it does not work on 8.1, showing the error DiscardVirtualMemory could not be located (since v112). There might be some things missing or Windows 10`s one is extended. Supermium und other Chromium forks also changed DiscardVirtualMemory to VirtualAlloc. Thats's not even all. You need a newer version of DWrite from Windows 10+ and obviously add --no-sandbox. That combo worked from 112-114, but 115 will not open up anymore. It just crashes, without any error shown

3 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

115 will not open up anymore. It just crashes, without any error shown

Yes, because it can't allocate memory properly, hence what I wrote before. Since 115/116 they removed the old portions of the code, so you would need to build a new chrome from scratch.

On 7/20/2023 at 6:18 AM, mshultz said:

Yes.   In fact, I installed Windows 8 x64 on my laptop yesterday, and am running a full scan this morning.  Windows Defender is working normally on both computers.

Good to know.  Upon further investigation, I notice the Event Log there's an Schannel Fatal Alert 40. It only happens when I press the update button in Windows Defender. At the same time in the Windows Defender "Operational" Logs, there's an error under Event ID 2001 at the same time.

I still can update manually though. I wonder what changed.

Browser News:

Despite the fact that Chrome/Chromium 115 as well as Edge are not working on Windows 8.1 anymore, I tried out other Chromium based browsers and landed at Opera. Opera ended their support for Windows 7 and 8.1 in January 2023 (March actually) with v95 based on Chromium 109. I tried out the latest version (101 based on Chromium 115) and it works without any issues. You need to apply some changes with CFF Explorer, however it does not crash like Chrome 115. Newer versions might work as well, but no guarantee obviously. 

Opera 101 (Chromium 115) on Windows 8.1: imgur.com/a/hFe2ooy

On 7/22/2023 at 9:30 AM, Jody Thornton said:

Good to know.  Upon further investigation, I notice the Event Log there's an Schannel Fatal Alert 40. It only happens when I press the update button in Windows Defender. At the same time in the Windows Defender "Operational" Logs, there's an error under Event ID 2001 at the same time.

I still can update manually though. I wonder what changed.

Something has been going on with Windows Defender update.  Today was the first time in 6 days that I have been able to update Definitions, and that required 2 attempts on the Desktop computer.  I was able to update the Laptop computer on the first attempt through Windows Update.