Windows 7 - i9-12900K failed

Phil1313

I have a new PC, a Shuttle DH670 - Core i9-12900K - 64 mb - SSD NVMe 1TB
but I can’t get Windows Seven.
If anyone can help me, I tried the method "Windows 7 on the Intel Alder Lake/Z690 platform" by Carlos S. M. but nothing done there the installation crashes just after "Windows Starting" the PC : frozen.

33 minutes ago, Jaguarek62 said:

but I’m not sure if windows 7 is able to boot on NVMe drives.

NVMe support has been added in updates KB2990941-v3 and KB3087873-v2, but you need to have them integrated in the image.

27 minutes ago, Cocodile said:

non-WHQL will not integrate.

The USB3 universal driver has a signature, not WHQL, but enough to be able to integrate and install this driver.

I installed Windows 7 on a computer with a B660 chipset and i5-12400F processor, also on NVMe, no problems with the installation. Updates for NVMe support and the universal USB3 driver were integrated in the image. But this processor without efficient-cores, no integrated GPU, and I also disable UEFI.

54 minutes ago, ED_Sln said:

NVMe support has been added in updates KB2990941-v3 and KB3087873-v2, but you need to have them integrated in the image.

The USB3 universal driver has a signature, not WHQL, but enough to be able to integrate and install this driver.

I installed Windows 7 on a computer with a B660 chipset and i5-12400F processor, also on NVMe, no problems with the installation. Updates for NVMe support and the universal USB3 driver were integrated in the image. But this processor without efficient-cores, no integrated GPU, and I also disable UEFI.

From my own experience, it's insufficient to simply integrate KB2990941-v3 and KB3087873-v2...  If you do, when you boot from the installation media, you'll get an error that it couldn't detect any suitable storage device or something to that effect.  I never looked into getting around that,

43 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

From my own experience, it's insufficient to simply integrate KB2990941-v3 and KB3087873-v2...  If you do, when you boot from the installation media, you'll get an error that it couldn't detect any suitable storage device or something to that effect.  I never looked into getting around that,

Right, I forgot about that, I used the boot disk from 10, I replaced the system image file in it. WinPE of 7 does not support NVMe, and there is no way to add support there. But if there is an official driver, you can add it in the driver loading window.

Are Secure Boot and UEFI disabled in your BIOS? Try to disable efficient-cores in the BIOS, maybe they are causing the system to freeze. Maybe the system does not freeze, but just does not respond to mouse and keyboard, because there are no drivers for USB3.

18 hours ago, Phil1313 said:

have USB 2.0 ports

These 2.0 ports come from the 3.0 controller anyway, so you need a driver for 3.0 to make them work.

Can you take a picture of what screen the system frozen on?

18 hours ago, Phil1313 said:

UEFI not easy to desactivate !

This may be the reason, you will need to replace the EFI: https://github.com/manatails/uefiseven

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind, ACPI may need to replaced, as described here http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/Windows7ACPI.html but if you are able to see WinPE and not a BSOD, then this is unlikely. Like others have said, please make sure the NVMe hotfix is integrated. You'll then need to integrate a driver associated with your NVMe device. Integrating will allow the drive to be picked up by WinPE. USB3 drivers will need to be integrated so you can use USB mouse (although I'm sure Intel Serial IO can be hacked to work) otherwise PS/2 mouse will be needed if your computer has those ports or they can be added on somehow (whether it be PCI-Express card, Ethernet dongle, or HDMI dongle, if the latter two even exist). If you have no CSM mode, something like the aforementioned UEFI7 or even Fastbootpro's version of it will be needed, but no guarantees it will even work, and I'm not sure if your BIOS can be modded to include CSM mode, and even the PS/2 emulation mode (some BIOS's allowed you to switch between I2C (Advanced) mode or PS/2 Emulation (Basic) mode for the touchpad).

Even if you succeed in getting installed, drivers will be an issue. If you notice three white lines on the volume icon in the taskbar, that means the audio device works with Windows generic audio driver, and is likely Realtek (although they do make a Windows 10/11 exclusive version of it that does not work on older Windows). For Ethernet (if available), it it's Realtek, you're good to go. If it's Intel, you may be able to take the latest Windows 7 driver and mod in your device ID (as some newer Ethernet hardware released since the final Windows 7 driver are still labeled I219 and so on, adding its device ID into the INF if it's not already there may work). For WiFi, if it's Intel or Realtek 8822CE, you'll need to swap it out for something like Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 or QCA 61x4A. If either of the latter two cards are included, you're good to go, no swapping necessary.

Of course, I mentioned that touchpad will be a no go due to it now using exclusively Intel Serial IO driver. This might be able to be made workable, provided you don't need to mod ACPI.sys as that causes the Intel HID Event Filter driver to BSOD with 0x07E. Graphics card will also be a no go unless someone can hack the modded Skylake graphics (the ones at win-raid that support UHD630) to include Tiger Lake, Alder Lake, and Rocket Lake. If you have a thunderbolt port, you might be able to do a thunderbolt->PCI-E adapter and hook in an external card. Then of course, there's the P and E-cores situation, but there may be something of a fix to work around it.

This is probably only the tip of the iceberg here. I hear on 13th Generation Intel, the E-cores are not even detected. Don't even get me started on the problems 14th Generation Intel could introduce. I feel like if we want Windows 7 support on newer Intel's, a generic graphics driver A la VESA should be coded, but unlike that, you can get Aero Glass and sleep mode.

5 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

Skylake graphics

Jakob, to help you ! There was an official Intel Kaby lake Driver for Win 7 x86 x64, the package name is KBL_2120164508_Win7_81.

Versions:

- Intel Graphics Driver: 21.20.16.4508
- Intel Display Audio Driver: 6.16.00.3164 (Windows 7)
- Intel Display Audio Driver: 09.22.00.621 (Windows 8.1/10)

Supports Intel Iris graphics, Intel Iris Pro graphics and Intel HD graphics on:

- 7th Gen Intel Core processor family (Codename Kaby Lake)
- 6th Gen Intel Core processor family (codename Skylake)
- Apollo Lake
- Intel Xeon Processor E3-1200 v5 Product Family
- Intel Xeon Processor E3-1500 v5 Product Family
- Intel Xeon Processor E3-1200 v6 Product Family

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/INTEL/ASUS-PRIME-Z270-P-Intel-Graphics-Driver-21-20-16-4508-Beta.shtml

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Jakob, to help you ! There was an official Intel Kaby lake Driver for Win 7 x86 x64, the package name is KBL_2120164508_Win7_81.

Versions:

- Apollo Lake

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/INTEL/ASUS-PRIME-Z270-P-Intel-Graphics-Driver-21-20-16-4508-Beta.shtml

Interesting. I did not know Intel made an official Kaby Lake graphics driver for Windows 7. I thought the only ones were mods. Regardless, this would need to be modded further to support Tiger Lake (11th Gen), Alder Lake (12th Gen), and Rocket Lake (13th Gen). Idk how to do that, however.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 11:36 PM, D.Draker said:

Versions:

- Apollo Lake

This is a fantastic discovery ! Never seen before. I can confirm it works without modding, install and off you go ! Thank you very much.