XP with 16 GB RAM

Asp

On 12/30/2022 at 12:49 AM, j7n said:

In Roytam's Serpent you can activate the multi-process mode. Then it can divide the memory among multiple processes on a 32-bit PAE platform, where each one doesn't approach the limit. Plus you get some increase of stability and responsiveness.

Note that multi-process prevents operation of certain extensions.

I don't know what kind of stability issues people have, but at least my experience with official 32-bit Pale Moon on Windows 10, it may hang permanently after consuming certain amount of RAM, presumably due to memory leaks and fragmentation. On 64-bit OS at least, hanging due to leaks shouldn't occur with 64-bit browser due to much larger address space. At least it never happened on my work laptop where I got more RAM to spare and just run 64-bit build.

Edited by UCyborg

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/1/2023 at 3:30 AM, UCyborg said:

Note that multi-process prevents operation of certain extensions.

I don't know what kind of stability issues people have, but at least my experience with official 32-bit Pale Moon on Windows 10, it may hang permanently after consuming certain amount of RAM, presumably due to memory leaks and fragmentation. On 64-bit OS at least, hanging due to leaks shouldn't occur with 64-bit browser due to much larger address space. At least it never happened on my work laptop where I got more RAM to spare and just run 64-bit build.

would a ramdisk software work? Ive not done much research into these but from what ive seen they work good 

Well, I bought the RAM but not smooth sailing.

I installed both 8GB chips and the BIOS boot screen didn't come up, just black, and beep-beep (which is not documented as a beep code in the manual).

I took one stick out and then BIOS seemed OK, showed 8GB RAM, but on booting to XP (32 bit), it lasted about one minute then crashed hard.

Same happened if I used just the other stick.

Anyway, the motherboard is vintage 2012. Intel DH61WW. According to the spec, it supports up to 16 GB DDR3 RAM, and 1333 MHz. The new RAM is 1600 MHZ (Kingston) , but should be backwards compatible. There are a few revisions to the BIOS I can do though the notes don't mention anything about fixing RAM issues. But not now, since I have work to do and can't risk bricking the PC. Will try a 64 bit OS and see how that works later as well. Can live with 8GB, many new PCs come with that, just annoyed at missing out on the big upgrade. Need to wait on a new PC for that.

And Intel are jerks; they've "archived" (taken off their site) all relevant docs, BIOS files and forum posts for these boards. But got them via the Wayback.

HP has docs for every printer they've made back to the 80s.  Doesn't cost anything to just leave stuff there to help people who bought stuff from them. Intel goes to my  "last choice" option now.

Edited by Asp

there is often a missconseption 32 bit means 4 gb ram limit

thats not directly right

first there is a second register (segment registers) that can take another *FFFF (16 bit)= 65535 * 32 bit (aka FFFFFFFF = 4gb) offset register = 281470 GB address room (and thats only https://wiki.osdev.org/Segmentation 

(gs would be a good candidate) 

but windows isnt doing that at least for windows xp

i told them to make a virtualalloc2 functions what also returns the segment register that then could pass the 4 gb limit

a second way is that when a process is switching

the PDBR page directory base register changes 

that means it can address 4 gb each process 

thats because the memory is addressed by entrys

if the entrys point to a different ram it could use the other ram

a other problem is that usermode limit 7FFFFFFF (2gb) and the rest is kernel mode both make 4 gb (2 * 2gb) 80000000-FFFFFFFF is used by kernel (aka 2 gb)

there was a time the usermode was extended to like EFFFFFFF (because the kernel mode do not need that much ram)

the next problem is that windows useally maps those entrys for a maximum of 4 gb size 

that means going beyond without changing that system overwrite the PDE´s what cause a os crash

• 2 months later...

There's a patch by Dibya that claims to allow up to 128GB of RAM to be usable, however I've never tested it myself so I can't verify whether or not it would be useful for your case. I didn't see it mentioned in the thread so far but figured it would be worth noting.

4 minutes ago, Country Cat said:

There's a patch by Dibya that claims to allow up to 128GB of RAM to be usable, however I've never tested it myself so I can't verify whether or not it would be useful for your case. I didn't see it mentioned in the thread so far but figured it would be worth noting.

hello @Country Cat and welcome to msfn! ive heard of his patch I just don't know how well it works or if it's stable (it gave me driver issues the last time I tried it)

On 3/31/2023 at 7:32 PM, legacyfan said:

hello @Country Cat and welcome to msfn! ive heard of his patch I just don't know how well it works or if it's stable (it gave me driver issues the last time I tried it)

Thank you for the warm welcome, Legacyfan. :D

I read the patch notes and it states that it has the possibility to corrupt Windows files. Use at your own risk. I would not recommend using this without backing up any important files. Alternatively, the Fix128 patch may be easier to use. Again, I haven't tested either of these so I can't comment on how well they function.

Edited by Country Cat

On 1/17/2023 at 3:50 AM, Asp said:

Anyway, the motherboard is vintage 2012. Intel DH61WW. According to the spec, it supports up to 16 GB DDR3 RAM, and 1333 MHz. The new RAM is 1600 MHZ (Kingston) , but should be backwards compatible.

I had an old toshiba laptop that was ddr3 but the ram ran at 800mhz from factory and it only wanted specific timings for ram. Check if your ram has standard timings and not xmp stuff or something. I once bought Gskill ram for that laptop that had very low timings and it would not boot at all.

Edited by tekkaman

1 hour ago, Mov AX, 0xDEAD said:

Fix128 and Dibya's patch enables 4gb+ ram for XP x32 kernel, but there is issue with HAL.dll (DMA stuff)

As i know only "Windows XP PAE Patcher 3.x by Daniel Kawakami" has correct HAL patch

Fix128 - HAL DMA NO Fix

My Patch - Partly Fixed Kinda Hack Job

Daniel's Patch : Almost Complete fix for DMA but not their in Server2003/XPSP1 level yet but very close.

No Judgement for 14yrs old Dibya back then , i think he did a admirable job , my Z77 board had 16GB Ram , i wanted to use it.

[Ps: University Sucks man , i wish had more free time like my teens]

• 4 months later...

Well, I recently checked the BIOS and saw there were several updates since the existing one, so updated. Didn't expect it to affect the RAM issue, as there was no mention of that in the notes on issues solved. But I put it back to give it one last try before I tried to sell it off, and now it works perfectly. The BIOS shows 16GB, and I ran memtest86 and that checked them out 100%.

Booting to XP, Windows properties shows it having 3.35GB RAM as before. But CPUZ shows 16 GB and the correct specs. Has been working with no glitches for a day now.

So now will try setting up Linux Mint as the primary OS, and run old Windows apps in "Wine bottles".

Running XP alone is too restrictive. Every week now I find another website has locked me out because my browser is unsupported.

CPUZ3716.png

Edited by Asp

2 hours ago, Asp said:

Booting to XP, Windows properties shows it having 3.35GB RAM as before. But CPUZ shows 16 GB and the correct specs. Has been working with no glitches for a day now.

That's weird. Windows properties should also show 16GB.

Are you actually using One Core API or some other patch?

This is a screenshot from December 2020, during the pandemic, when I upgraded to 64 GB of RAM:

image.png.02291e2b4b614a6206b09ab1f4fba2f3.png

Running XP alone is too restrictive. Every week now I find another website has locked me out because my browser is unsupported.

Which browser are you using? Are you using the builds from here?

http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

On 4/9/2023 at 6:30 AM, Dibya said:

University Sucks man , i wish had more free time like my teens

Welcome to adulthood. And I'll tell you a secret: it will just get worse once you'll get to the point of having a job and going to the office every single day with as little as two weeks vacation per year that you won't really enjoy as you're an engineer so they'll be calling you for literally any little thing that happens to any of the systems you either made/coded or that you manage. :( 

Edited by FranceBB