My Browser Builds (Part 4)

22 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

[Edit2]

This second one does not work well on Pale Moon with Greasemonkey...

Ditto for the rest of the UXP-based browsers (I tried it on St52/St55), 360EEv13.x and KafanMB, with Violentmonkey as the userscript manager :( ; it's because of its dependency on: 

It also requires that the "Continuous scrolling" in the Google Search settings is turned off

which I haven't been able to make it persist on ALL of the aforementioned browsers :realmad: ; I do move the slider to the left, 

8tRW24B.png

but it doesn't stick :( ; reload the tab and the slider gets reset to the right :dubbio:; that's the only slider that does this, AFAICT...

Edit: Issue finally resolved :P ; read below ...

Edited by VistaLover

13 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

but it doesn't stick :( ; reload the tab and the slider gets reset to the right :dubbio:; that's the only slider that does this, AFAICT...

It persists here on Pale Moon. But I also protect some cookies with the extension CookieKeeper from the Classic Add-ons Archive.

caa:addon/cookiekeeper

33 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

13 minutes ago, nicolaasjan said:

It persists here on Pale Moon. But I also protect some cookies with the extension CookieKeeper from the Classic Add-ons Archive.

caa:addon/cookiekeeper

In Mypal 68, it persists, too. BTW, no cookie protection here. :)

In New Moon 28, using a fresh profile, and logged into a Google account or not, this Google search setting is not available. It looks and behaves like the old search. You get your search results page by page after clicking as it was before.  :) :thumbup

21 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

It persists here on Pale Moon. But I also protect some cookies with the extension CookieKeeper

20 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

In Mypal 68, it persists, too. BTW, no cookie protection here

Thanks you two for your input :thumbup ; after deeper troubleshooting, it appears my inability to permanently disable "continuous scroll" inside the "modern" GS settings in my browser profile(s) was indeed due to some protected Google cookies, specifically the CONSENT and NID ones :P ; I had to un-protect them, delete ALL Google-related cookies in my browser profile, then

a) disable uBO,
b) disable ALL Google-related userscripts inside Violentmonkey (some of them affect G-cookies) 
c) load "www.google.com" and consent to them setting browser cookies,
d) access the GS settings page(s) and configure GS how I see fit - now the (disable) "continuous scroll" slider position would stick :cheerleader:
e) protect anew the NID+CONSENT cookies
f) re-enable uBO
g) re-enable the Google targeting userscripts inside VM

I was then able to enable and successfully use the 

https://gist.github.com/sp00n/e8b91d2f47c471bc0627f7b31d659291

userscript posted by nicolaasjan :

QrPyYYC.png

Should be applicable to St52/St55 able to run Violentmonkey (a WE); likewise to the Chromium derivatives known to the retrocomputing communities here ;) ; FWIW, I, too, use CookieKeeper to protect cookies in UXP-based browsers, while in the Chromium-based ones I use the excellent MILK extension...

Edited by VistaLover

7 hours ago, VistaLover said:

My post above will be edited to a "locale-free" userscript URI, so that GF will load the default (en-US) or user-specified locale of that page (if it exists on GF, that is) ;) ...

The URL still loads the el locale, instead of being locale-free:

8 hours ago, VistaLover said:

10 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

In New Moon 28, using a fresh profile, and logged into a Google account or not, this Google search setting is not available. It looks and behaves like the old search. You get your search results page by page after clicking as it was before.  :) :thumbup

I have the new interface in Google Search in my VM with NM28 because of a custom UA:

general.useragent.override.google.com ---> Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0

spacer.png

15 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Or the English version of this page:

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/468360-return-pagination-to-google.

[Edit]

Found another one:

https://gist.github.com/sp00n/e8b91d2f47c471bc0627f7b31d659291

(scrapped that ; it's buggy on Pale Moon with Greasemonkey)

What did you see as buggy in the sp00n version?

I like the sp00n version better but I did have to modify it slightly but only to remove the "More results" at the bottom of only page 1.

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

What did you see as buggy in the sp00n version?

It was in Google Advanced Search.

The link to the next page when searching for e.g. "Jack Russell" became:

https://www.google.com/search?q=null&tbs=&lr=&start=10

Regular Google Search is indeed OK.

but I did have to modify it slightly but only to remove the "More results" at the bottom of only page 1.

Can you share what you modified, please?

Edited by nicolaasjan

5 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

I have the new interface in Google Search in my VM with NM28 because of a custom UA:

general.useragent.override.google.com ---> Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0

spacer.png

That makes sense, of course. I checked it by using a fresh profile in NM 28 where no changes have been done by me. Therefore, I used logically the standard UA. spanachee.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

11 hours ago, VistaLover said:

disable ALL Google-related userscripts inside Violentmonkey (some of them affect G-cookies)

I know you are a fan of Violentmonkey. I use it in Serpent, too (thanks to your hint what needed to be fixed in version 2.14.0 :P). But in Mypal 68, I use Tampermonkey. Do you see any advantages in using Violentmonkey instead of Tampermonkey? Maybe, in terms of script compatibility? Or is it just a personal preference in the end? :dubbio:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

11 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I like the sp00n version better but I did have to modify it slightly but only to remove the "More results" at the bottom of only page 1.

9 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Can you share what you modified, please?

... I noticed that, too, myself ;) ; having no JS knowledge :blushing: , my "dirty hack" was to use "cosmetic filtering" in uBO and hide the "More results" button at the bottom of results page no. 1

www.google.com###cc
www.google.com##.w7LJsc.WZH4jc

However, a "proper" fix inside the userscript itself would also be much appreciated here :whistle: ...

Edited by VistaLover

5 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Do you see any advantages in using Violentmonkey instead of Tampermonkey? Maybe, in terms of script compatibility? Or is it just a personal preference in the end?

... The short version of it is both :P ; long version below:

Having originally been a Mozilla Firefox fan only, my first acquaintance to Userscript Managers was via the XUL/legacy version of Greasemonkey ; at some point in time, this was converted to the much restrictive WE format :(, to which I did never migrate...

When I started using the UXP-based browsers, NM28 initially, I migrated to the UXP-fork Greasemonkey for Pale Moon (now an abandonware :(), which was also kept when I decided to move over from NM28 to Serpent 52 (because the latter had kept support for WE - I needed to use Stylus there, because many of my preferred userstyles had migrated over to the "user.css" format, which Stylem doesn't support :() ...

While in St52, I explored the availability of actively maintained WE userscript managers, the two more prominent choices were Tampermonkey and Violentmonkey; TBH, I was quite miffed :realmad: that TM had already dropped support for Fx52-level platforms, with only a much older version being installable in St52 (I have v4.11.6120beta archived on disk) ; additionally, while TM was in the past open-source, it had already moved by then to closed-source development...

OTOH, Violentmonkey was, and still is, open-source and actively supported Fx52/St52, so I chose to install VM in St52 and have kept it ever since :); when I started experimenting with the Chromium derivatives that support Vista SP2 32-bit, I installed VM there, too, because I had grown accustomed to it ;) ... 

As far as script compatibility is concerned, it's true that most userscript authors first target TM, because it's more popular I guess; but VM should also do the job in the 99% of cases; incidentally, the "Restored Pagination for Google" userscript works better in VM than TM, it says so in its code: 

// @match only allows wildcards for the TLD in ViolentMonkey, not in TamperMonkey or other alternatives

Ultimately, it's down to the English saying: "whatever tickles your fancy" :whistle:and for me it's VM...

Kindest greetings (in the hope you're not under 2m of snow there ;) ) ...

Edited by VistaLover
confused the "monkeys" :-)