Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

If you are additionally using the Bypass Paywalls Clean filter usersrcipts, don't forget to also update them in your userscript manager! :yes:

I have just noticed that the update of the BPCF userscripts seem to be done automatically by the developer. You will only notice that if the userscript manager has been configured to update them automatically, too. If so, user actions are not really necessary. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

I have just noticed that the update of the BPCF userscripts seem to be done automatically by the developer. You will only notice that if the userscript manager has been configured to update them automatically, too. If so, user actions are not really necessary. :P

I had to update manually, but in Pale Moon the (terrible:realmad:) page looks like this:

spacer.png

While it should look like this:

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, nicolaasjan said:

I had to update manually, but in Pale Moon the (terrible:realmad:) page looks like this:

spacer.png

I only had to click on the button "Purge all cashes" and, after updating all filter lists, the BPCF filter list was updated, too. The BPCF website does not work in New Moon 28, either, but fortunately in Thorium:P

2 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I only had to click on the button "Purge all cashes" and, after updating all filter lists, the BPCF filter list was updated, too.

I was looking for the userscripts, but I have them now. :)

The userscript links are at the bottom of their main page, which is displayed normally in Pale Moon. The filterlist links are also on the same page.

Indeed, that web "file manager" does not seem to work on Pale Moon but all needed links are on the main page.

11 minutes ago, Amigafever said:

The userscript links are at the bottom of their main page, which is displayed normally in Pale Moon. The filterlist links are also on the same page.

Indeed, that web "file manager" does not seem to work on Pale Moon but all needed links are on the main page.

Thanks, I didn't scroll down. :blushing:

Hello again. Pale Moon 33.3.0 enables DNS prefetching by default. However, that now clashes with the default uBO setting "Disable pre-fetching (to prevent any connection for blocked network requests)" which disables it in the browser every time. Perhaps it's worth considering disabling that default setting in uBO. In any case, the user can still make a choice. More info here:

uBlock Origin will interfere with your DNS prefetching setting

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Amigafever said:

Hello again. Pale Moon 33.3.0 enables DNS prefetching by default. However, that now clashes with the default uBO setting "Disable pre-fetching (to prevent any connection for blocked network requests)" which disables it in the browser every time. Perhaps it's worth considering disabling that default setting in uBO. In any case, the user can still make a choice. More info here:

uBlock Origin will interfere with your DNS prefetching setting

If you want to use prefetching for faster loading of websites and their content, you should untick this option in uBO to avoid interference. But prefetching and DNS prefetching shouldn't be mixed up.

Edited by AstroSkipper

The good is that the user of New Moon and Serpent has still the choice, at least until now. All prefetching features can be manually disabled to ensure that uBlock Origin Legacy works properly, especially if the user notices interference. So, everyone can decide for themselves what is important to them. :P

On 4/25/2024 at 3:30 AM, AstroSkipper said:

I can remember very well that there was a problem with the sporadic disappearance of the Clean Links' toolbar icon in the past. This seems to be fixed in CleanLink2 as far as I can tell at the moment. In any case, I have installed this version and will see how it behaves. :)

Did you like it in the end? It seems to work quite well.

36 minutes ago, Amigafever said:

Did you like it in the end? It seems to work quite well.

Yes, I like this extension. It does its job, and the problem with the sporadic disappearance of the Clean Links' toolbar icon doesn't occur anymore.

So this is what some YouTube users have been seeing, second time I witnessed it, previous was yesterday when I didn't think to make a screenshot and this tab has been opened since Wednesday evening, with computer asleep when I was at work or sleeping. uBO's counter disappeared with detaching the tab to its own window to make a screenshot with less baggage, it counted over 4000 blocked requests.

I wonder if upstream, much more sophisticated version of uBO can prevent it and what part of it (or filter) does. This popup pauses playback, you can close it and resume.

spacer.png

On an unrelated note, bug (or feature?) of the browser, it closes dev tools window when you detach the tab, so you lose whatever temporary data was logged, set in there.

Edited by UCyborg

I had to translate.  So that other's don't have to jump through that step also, the top bold line reads "YouTube ad blocking is not allowed".

I haven't seen that for months.  I only YouTube at work.  Anywhere from 5 to 15 hours non-stop.  I set my own hours, lol.

At first, I had to use THREE ad-blockers in addition to my Tampermonkey YouTube scripts to prevent that "overlay popup" (popup in the middle, the rest of the screen overlaid in gray).

As of this week, those THREE ad-blockers have all been replaced with only ONE (still have the Tampermonkey scripts) and I've been good so far (5.5 hours at work today with no ads or pauses).

Granted, two of the three were so that I could use the same EXACT profile on "fast" machines and on "slow" machines (no single solitary one ad-blocker would work on both!).

Initially, NO uBO LISTS WOULD BLOCK THAT OVERLAY POPUP.  NONE!  I even tried several lists that AstroSkipper swore up and down to.  They apparently worked for him and his geolocation but they did not work for me.

The ONLY method that worked for me "at first" was ADDING AN EXTENSION to work hand-in-hand with uBO.

That extension is found here  --  version 5.22.0, I did not, and do not plan to, use the v6.0 and higher versions (the extension went from a 4.16 MB download to a gigantic 63.01 MB download, not interested).

Unsure if that is your best solution or not.  Again, I could not get uBO "alone" to block that overlay popup.

What I am using NOW (as of just a few days ago) is this.  I have not yet had any ads on YouTube.  But it's also only been a few days.  I still have the above extension installed but I have it and uBO now both disabled.

The Tampermonkey script I use is this (among many other YouTube userscripts).  It's dated 2023-06-22 and I just noticed it's been updated several times.  But, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, my 2023-06-22 has been working for me.

Good to know, at least users of poor legacy versions can be aware they're not missing anything in that regard compared to stock up-to-date version.

I rarely have YouTube tab opened for such long periods, wonder if would've got it in the past under similar circumstances.

Interestingly, AdNauseam is forked off uBO. Another extension that will never be ported to UXP.