Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

27 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

The filter list of version 3.6.3.2 still works on www.nytimes.com. :yes: Just tested.

Works here as well (I have put it on Dropbox and use that link in my custom filters, so I'm not bothered by the connection error :)).

I also have the userscript.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nicolaasjan said:

Works here as well (I have put it on Dropbox and use that link in my custom filters, so I'm not bothered by the connection error :)).

I also have the userscript.

When using my updated, fixed release uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.34, then there are no network connection errors anymore. Have a look at my release! :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, UCyborg said:

These filters are usually written to redirect to local empty/stub resource.

When these empty files noop.txt and noop.js are returned, will they be stored locally on the computer? Where are they generated at all? And what exactly means local in this context? :dubbio: Local file on the server, local file on the client/computer? In any case, I couldn't find such files. :dubbio: TBH, this all is a bit confusing. :crazy:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)

@UCyborg I know you have implemented the "redirect-rule" directive in your new release. But if one wants to make your version 1.16.6b1 not perform such redirections, the entry ignoreRedirectFilters can be set from false to true in the advanced settings. Then your version 1.16.6b1 will behave like version 1.16.4.30 up to 1.16.4.34 again although this entry has the default value false in these versions which I never had to or intended to change. But when doing so, these strange noop.txt and noop.js entries are no longer in the logger. The network filter @@*$redirect-rule was only introduced in version 1.22 and therefore cannot be used. Although I understand the idea of such redirections, especially to prevent breakage of websites when blocking certain content, these entries in the logger do personally bother me if I am honest. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:
On 4/13/2024 at 10:16 AM, UCyborg said:

These filters are usually written to redirect to local empty/stub resource.

When these empty files noop.txt and noop.js are returned, will they be stored locally on the computer? Where are they generated at all? And what exactly means local in this context? :dubbio: Local file on the server, local file on the client/computer? In any case, I couldn't find such files. :dubbio: TBH, this all is a bit confusing. :crazy:

I found, for example, this redirect rule in the filter list uBlock filters – Unbreak

||cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/trace$xhr,3p,redirect-rule=noop.txt,domain=~funimation.com|~1bit.space|~1bitspace.com

Looking at the code, it seems that the file noop.txt will be created by uBO locally on the computer. Right? :dubbio: Is it only generated for milliseconds and then immediately deleted again? That would at least explain why I couldn't find it. :dubbio: Anyway! I would like to understand this redirection mechanism in more detail. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper

19 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

When these empty files noop.txt and noop.js are returned, will they be stored locally on the computer? Where are they generated at all? And what exactly means local in this context? :dubbio: Local file on the server, local file on the client/computer? In any case, I couldn't find such files.

Technically, they're not really conventional files for main part of the operation, they live as memory resident data structures that can be obtained using a name resembling a file name, basically JavaScript Map containing a bunch of objects, each containing MIME type, encoding and the actual data.

Initially they're read from assets/ublock/resources.txt in the XPI file, on subsequent extension startups they'll be read from the ublock0.sqlite database most of the time. These resources are updatable via online repository in these older versions.

20 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I know you have implemented the "redirect-rule" directive in your new release. But if one wants to make your version 1.16.6b1 not perform such redirections, the entry ignoreRedirectFilters can be set from false to true in the advanced settings. Then your version 1.16.6b1 will behave like version 1.16.4.30 up to 1.16.4.34 again although this entry has the default value false in these versions which I never had to or intended to change. But when doing so, these strange noop.txt and noop.js entries are no longer in the logger.

You'd have to set that setting in the older version as well if you wanted the exact same behavior in that regard. Redirection concept was introduced in version 1.4.0. "uBlock filters – Ads" filter list for instance has more filters using "redirect-rule" rather than "redirect". "redirect-rule" by itself doesn't do anything, it's only effective in combination with another blocking filter, that's the difference between the two.

33 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Technically, they're not really conventional files for main part of the operation, they live as memory resident data structures that can be obtained using a name resembling a file name, basically JavaScript Map containing a bunch of objects, each containing MIME type, encoding and the actual data.

Initially they're read from assets/ublock/resources.txt in the XPI file, on subsequent extension startups they'll be read from the ublock0.sqlite database most of the time. These resources are updatable via online repository in these older versions.

You'd have to set that setting in the older version as well if you wanted the exact same behavior in that regard. Redirection concept was introduced in version 1.4.0. "uBlock filters – Ads" filter list for instance has more filters using "redirect-rule" rather than "redirect". "redirect-rule" by itself doesn't do anything, it's only effective in combination with another blocking filter, that's the difference between the two.

Thank you for this deeper insight! I have never dealt with this before and was initially a little confused about these noop files. embarras1.gif

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2024 at 11:29 PM, UCyborg said:
On 4/14/2024 at 2:11 AM, AstroSkipper said:

I know you have implemented the "redirect-rule" directive in your new release. But if one wants to make your version 1.16.6b1 not perform such redirections, the entry ignoreRedirectFilters can be set from false to true in the advanced settings. Then your version 1.16.6b1 will behave like version 1.16.4.30 up to 1.16.4.34 again although this entry has the default value false in these versions which I never had to or intended to change. But when doing so, these strange noop.txt and noop.js entries are no longer in the logger.

Now, I have checked my version using the uBO logger. In the testing profile where I have installed uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.34 with the same filter lists enabled as in your version 1.16.6b1, I can't identify any entries about noop.txt or noop.js when calling up the Ad Blocker Test site, although the preference ignoreRedirectFilters is definitely set there to false. So, I assume it must have to do something with your recent changes related to the implementation of the "redirect-rule" network filter option https://github.com/UCyborg/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy/commit/02795267a3ecc24b46df2c563ea55d102397af09. :dubbio: Hope this information is useful for you. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

27 minutes ago, Amigafever said:

About Bypass Paywalls Clean: official news and updated versions, here:

https://twitter.com/Magnolia1234B

Not sure if the filterlist is included in the provided archive (seems to be complete) and how it can be included/updated in our browsers.

Thanks for the hint! :thumbup New list found! I will release an update of uBlock Origin Legacy as soon as possible.

10 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Now, I have checked my version using the uBO logger. In the testing profile where I have installed uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.34 with the same filter lists enabled as in your version 1.16.6b1, I can't identify any entries about noop.txt or noop.js when calling up the Ad Blocker Test site, although the preference ignoreRedirectFilters is definitely set there to false. So, I assume it must have to do something with your recent changes related to the implementation of the "redirect-rule" network filter option https://github.com/UCyborg/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy/commit/02795267a3ecc24b46df2c563ea55d102397af09. :dubbio: Hope this information is useful for you. :)

You haven't found anything I don't know yet. That site is triggering filters containing "redirect-rule=", it's not hitting any filters that contain "redirect=", so nothing is logged in 1.16.4.30. But if any such filter using "redirect=" would be hit, redirection itself would be logged just like in 1.6.16b1.

36 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

New list found!

Indeed ;) 

https://github.com/bpc-clone/bypass-paywalls-clean-filters/raw/main/bpc-paywall-filter.txt

userscript:

https://github.com/bpc-clone/bypass-paywalls-clean-filters/raw/main/userscript/bpc.en.user.js

... However, this is GitHub now, much more prone to succumbing to DMCA requests, so expect this to also vanish soon-ish :whistle: ...

Edited by VistaLover
Added link to en userscript file

Posted (edited)

Update notification! update.gif - uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.35 - Special mod by @AstroSkipper

I have again updated my special mod uBlock Origin Legacy from version 1.16.4.34 to version 1.16.4.35. As already described, you can install this version over an existing installation of uBlock Origin Legacy (1.16.4.34 and higher). The immediate loading of the updated, internal list of all preselected filter lists (assets.json) can be triggered by the function "Purge all caches" and "Update now". Then reload the dashboard page! I changed the link of an important filter list to get the most recent version. More details can be found in the changelog. in my main article, and of course the download link.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content