Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:
3 hours ago, dmiranda said:

Hi! I'm trying it now in sp52, but for some reason the menu won't pop up in my setup. Is there anyway to debug it? I checked the console, just in case, but nothing. Thanks!

Actually, the About: Menu custom button should work in Serpent 52, too. When I am back at my desktop computer, I will have a look at this. In New Moon 28, however, I can definitely confirm that this custom button works as it should. Generally, most custom buttons tested by me should work in both browsers. But, of course, we all know the proof is in the pudding. :P

I have just tested it and have unfortunately to confirm your observation. Although there is the compatibility string of Firefox {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384} inside the code of the About: Menu custom button, the menu of all about: pages does not open in Serpent 52. The button was created many years ago, though. Therefore, it definitely was developed for much older Firefox versions (< 52). That's presumably why it is still working in New Moon 28. But there are still alternatives in the form of extensions for Serpent 52 which can be tested. I will have a look at that later.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I have just tested it and have unfortunately to confirm your observation. Although there is the compatibility string of Firefox {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384} inside the code of the About: Menu custom button, the menu of all about: pages does not open in Serpent 52. The button was created many years ago, though. Therefore, it definitely was developed for much older Firefox versions (< 52). That's presumably why it is still working in New Moon 28. But there are still alternatives in the form of extensions for Serpent 52 which can be tested. I will have a look at that later.

@dmiranda The easiest and most convenient way to add such an About Menu button to Serpent 52 is to use the Toolbar Buttons 1.1.1 extension. This extension comes with many toolbar buttons or rather tons of them. :buehehe: Although this extension is old, most of the toolbar buttons still work in @roytam1's browsers. One of them is the button about:about which is still working in Serpent 52. Here are two screenshots.

Toolbar-Buttons.png

Toolbar-Buttons-about-about.png

You can download the extension Toolbar Buttons 1.1.1 via the Classic Add-ons Archive. I will write an article about this extension very soon. BTW, I already wrote about Toolbar Buttons 1.1.1 and the about:about button here: https://msfn.org/board/topic/182647-my-browser-builds-part-3/?do=findComment&comment=1225677

Greetings, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)

If you don't want such tons of toolbar buttons (I personally love this extension :cheerleader:), then the extension More About 3.0.0 is a good alternative. You can get it via the Classic Add-ons Archive.

Edited by AstroSkipper

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, billmcct said:

I have been using one for many years now called "About:about Button"

which does almost the same thing. It's in the CAA.

This extension also no longer works in Serpent 52. Just tested.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

13 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

As I already explained, I try to use as few extensions as possible, as they have a greater impact on memory and tend to cause compatibility problems.

I have often wondered how best to present an extension to the Mozilla or Mozilla-based applications.  One may present an extension heavily compressed into an XPI archive, lightly compressed in an XPI file, not compressed (stored) but in an XPI file, or fully unpackaged/unpackaged.

It was my understanding that it used to be recommended (I do not remember the source) that heavily compressing the extensions in XPI files and presenting them to the application is the best method.  I believe that that was substantiated by the idea that the operations in RAM would happen significantly faster than on disk and copying the extension file to RAM and operating on it from there was the more efficient option.  How it actually works and what truly is better, I do not know.

Edited by Ascii2

On 4/7/2024 at 6:10 PM, AstroSkipper said:

If you don't want such tons of toolbar buttons (I personally love this extension :cheerleader:), then the extension More About 3.0.0 is a good alternative. You can get it via the Classic Add-ons Archive.

Thanks for taking the time to test and offer alternatives. I will try this last one, eventually. Cheers!

On 4/7/2024 at 8:10 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Another nice variant, fully working in Serpent 52, is the extension What about:.. 4.15 which can be also downloaded from the Classic Add-ons Archive.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Felipefpl said:

AstroSkipper - I was wondering if a collaboration would be possible like the guy in this thread suggests:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&p=250867&sid=c7fb12ffa905a9ed961476b91ed53b57#p250867

It could be a good thing, or not?

First of all, I think it's right and good that someone other than myself is also working on the great and very important extension uBlock Origin Legacy and developing it further. Since nothing has happened for years, I see my efforts here in relation to uBlock Origin Legacy as a kind of initial spark to maintain this extension again and bring it up to date. :thumbup Based on the way a well-known American moron speaks I would say: "Make uBlock Origin Legacy great again!:buehehe: @UCyborg has started a promising project on GitHub. I already had a look at it. An indirect collaboration has already taken place, as he has used my internal list of all standard filter lists, i.e. the assets.json file, as the basis for his one. spanachee.gif But I cannot and will not comment on direct collaboration at this point. In any case, I will continue to maintain my version here for a while. The next version is coming up very soon. This means that the user now has the option of choosing their preferred version. As I have already said between the lines, a wider range of products generally stimulates "business". :P

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)

Update notification! update.gif - uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.34 - Special mod by @AstroSkipper

I have again updated my special mod uBlock Origin Legacy from version 1.16.4.33 to version 1.16.4.34. Starting with this version, installing over an existing installation of uBlock Origin Legacy (1.16.4.34 and higher) is completely working again. :thumbup The immediate loading of the updated, internal list of all preselected filter lists (assets.json) can be triggered by the function "Purge all caches" or "Update now". From now on, the user will get the internal list of all preselected filter lists (assets.json) automatically. And I added new filter lists to different groups. More details can be found in the changelog in my main article, and of course the download link.

The update to version 1.16.4.34 should be done as already described, but this time for the very last time. The easiest way is the alternative method:

• Backup all your settings using the "Back up to file" button on the page "Settings".
  • Install the new version of uBlock Origin Legacy over the existing one.
  • Reset your installation using the "Reset to default settings" button on the page "Settings".
  • Restore all settings from your backup file.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)

Hello @UCyborg! I have just tested your new release uBlock Origin 1.16.6b1 by using the ad block testing site https://test.adminforge.de/adblock.html. While my release uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.34 blocked all ads with a score of 100%, your version wasn't able to do this and got a score of only 84%. The comparison was done using the same filter lists and same own filters in both versions. I was checking the performance of both releases with the uBO logger to see what's going on and noticed entries about noop.txt and noop.js in the log generated by your release which I didn't get when using my release. As far as I know, noop stands for no operation. One consequence of this is that some of my own filter rules under the tab "My rules" are simply ignored when using your release. Any ideas what your release is doing on this ad block testing site? :dubbio:

Here is a screenshot testing uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.34 in New Moon 28:

u-Block-Origin-Legacy-1-16-4-34-Adblock-

And here is a screenshot testing uBlock Origin 1.16.6b in New Moon 28:

u-Block-Origin-Legacy-1-16-6b-Adblock-te

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Hi, i tried the new version and indeed the settings are saved but i cant see the new filters' list added in the sections. I installed over the old installation and even deleted the old version and made a new installation and nothing changed. I'm on latest basilisk.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Felipefpl said:

Hi, i tried the new version and indeed the settings are saved but i cant see the new filters' list added in the sections. I installed over the old installation and even deleted the old version and made a new installation and nothing changed. I'm on latest basilisk.

Hello @Felipefpl! Do once again a clean install! That means you have to manually delete the file ublock0.sqlite inside your profile subfolder extension-data:yes: But don't forget to backup your settings and rules first! :P BTW, I tested updating from version 1.16.4.33 to version 1.16.4.34 and didn't notice any problems when doing this with the alternative method. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content