Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

1 minute ago, AstroSkipper said:

But the biggest joke I've read there is that you can't download my release because there are adverts on Mediafire preventing the download. :buehehe: Where does he live? :crazy:

A typical case of PEBCAK.

38 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

the English saying: "No good deed goes unpunished"

:OT
The last time, I heard this saying was in the film "Next" with Nicolas Cage but in German: "Keine gute Tat bleibt ungestraft". :P
:END OF OT

1 hour ago, nicolaasjan said:

The situation is definitely much better there since Tobin :realmad: is gone.

<OT>

As I've said, I did use Pale Moon when it was suppored, but, Actually it was Tobin that scared me away from joining that forum. I wonder if he is even still around. 

<OT>

Edited by XPerceniol

I got banned from the PM forums for calling Tobin many bad names.

However after he banned Tobin for good, MC rethought that decision and unbanned me.

And yes the forums there are much calmer. After all the hate Tobin spewed about MSFN I actually joined MSFN

34 minutes ago, nicolaasjan said:

After updating New Moon today, the Privacy tab in Options was empty.:

spacer.png

I had to update my custom Dutch language pack again...

Now it works :) :

spacer.png

Here is a link to my updated Language Pack: Link. 

Well done! Your Dutch colleagues will be delighted with such a service. :yes: BTW, I already mentioned this issue here two weeks ago:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/185966-my-browser-builds-part-5/?do=findComment&comment=1258614
I have fixed my German language pack the day I posted this issue. This corrected language pack has been in testing mode since then. I will post it when testing mode is over, and all is definitely working. So far, no further issues. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I just had to read this in the Pale Moon forum by athenian200:

So, I decided to use a diff tool to look at exactly what AstroSkipper changed, since speculation was getting us nowhere.

Here's what I noticed when using WinMerge to see what the differences are between AstroSkipper's mod and the last released version of uBO...

- The vast majority of the files are identical or nearly identical to the last release commonly used by us. There was not a partial backporting of a newer WebExtensions-based uBO version to XUL, like I assumed might have been the case earlier.
- Something like 80% of the real changes I saw were related to the implementation of a "shortcuts pane" in some way. Nothing about the shortcuts pane itself stood out as weird to me.
- A ton of others did things like replace "var" with "let" which is functionally equivalent AFAIK (I'm no expert on JS, but I know that much).
- I also saw a lot of odd reworking of variable names that start with "h" and making them start with "session" instead, but again in most cases the code wound up being functionally equivalent.
- The rest of the changes were to filter lists, extension ID, extension name, and the removal of the updateURL, as stated in AstroSkipper's changelogs.
- Some changes to code comments like copyright dates and contributor names.

Overall, my analysis? Not sure why he changed a bunch of variable names, switched from var to let, or implemented a shortcuts pane, but nothing jumps out at me as dangerous. As for the filter lists he added, that's outside of my expertise entirely and I have no idea what the best filter lists to use for uBO are.

The actual list of changes here seems a lot shorter than the discussion about the changes made in both this thread and the one on MSFN... I just assumed if everyone was talking about it, it must have a lot of big changes.

Source: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30787&sid=feea3eb912a653ba49c1fb3c2bc447f3&start=60#p248158

Like perhaps some in this forum may already know, I am a mathematician. Unfortunately, from a purely mathematical and statistical point of view, I have to rate this study as unsatisfactory. :thumbdown School mark: F (in Germany 6). :o If this is the way this so-called developer works, then good night Marie (German saying, translated :P)! suisjebete.gif Before any investigation, you should first of all be clear about what you actually want to investigate. That has gone completely wrong here. Anyone who compares apples with pears and thinks meaningful results would be generated is completely wrong. :buehehe: My advice to this self-appointed expert: First read and understand. Then gather facts and think about it carefully. ssuper5sur5.gif Then you'll be able to bake such childish stuff. The only thing that went well in this investigation was that the "good" man used WinMerge for comparison. But that was it. smilie_denk_24.gif What is obvious, however, is that this guy really doesn't know much about extensions. nimportequoi.gif My advice to athenian200: Read my article thoroughly before spreading such nonsense! :yes: And if you have no idea or are overwhelmed with such an examination, then you should leave it to those who really know how to do it. :thumbup 
And what can you actually do with such an "investigation"?
Unfortunately, as already mentioned, only this: cursor.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 2/1/2024 at 12:09 PM, AstroSkipper said:

But the biggest joke I've read there is that you can't download my release because there are adverts on Mediafire preventing the download.:buehehe: Where does he live? :crazy:

That might have been a version of a problem I (and many others, I assume) have run into at one time or another: if you don't have an ad blocker, and the site hosting your desired ad blocker is itself cluttered with ads, it can be quite challenging to find the "real" download link among all the "fake" download links from ads designed to look like the site itself!

Free download sites like Mediafire have to run ads to stay in business; unfortunately they aren't always very selective about the ads they run.

Luckily this is usually a problem only when you first start using a new browser. Once you do manage to get that first ad blocker installed, everything is fine.

My German language pack for New Moon 28 - Fixed - Part 3 update.gif

My last German language pack 28.10.0rc4 from this post had to be fixed again. I found another issue under Einstellungen -> Datenschutz some weeks ago. Here is a screenshot to demonstrate this issue:

NM28-Datenschutz-Fehlerhaft-2.png

I have fixed this issue and assigned the number 28.10.0rc5 to the new, corrected version. Here are two screenshots taken from the fixed version in the most recent version of New Moon 28 (2024-01-31):

NM28-Datenschutz-Korrigiert-2-1.png

NM28-Datenschutz-Korrigiert-2-2.png

And here is the download link of the updated, German language package in version 28.10.0rc5 for the more recent versions of New Moon 28 (issue observed starting with the version palemoon-28.10.7a1.win32-git-20240120-d849524bd-uxp-a62d808d09-xpmod): https://www.mediafire.com/file/xty66noengy0ktg/de-28.10.0_RC5.xpi/file

Greetings from Germany, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 2/3/2024 at 11:12 AM, nicolaasjan said:

After updating New Moon today, the Privacy tab in Options was empty.:

spacer.png

I had to update my custom Dutch language pack again...

Now it works :) :

spacer.png

Here is a link to my updated Language Pack: Link. 

@nicolaasjan I have listed your post with the Dutch language pack in the second post of this thread so that it can be found more easily later. I hope it was in your interest. :)

Greetings, AstroSkipper :hello:

On 2/3/2024 at 2:00 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Not sure why he changed a bunch of variable names, switched from var to let, or implemented a shortcuts pane,

... Wow :buehehe: ; he's totally clueless, indeed :whistle:; the "shortcuts pane" wasn't implemented by @AstroSkipper per se; it was already implemented by GH dev hawkeye116477 (and merged by JustOff) in: 

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy/commit/1e0b42e155373c5d37244e3ee079d357fbb9be48

This merged change happens to be already present inside the 1.16.4.31b2 build (by hawkeye116477), the starting point for Astro's later "releases" :P ...

Edited by VistaLover

50 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... Wow :buehehe: ; he's totally clueless, indeed :whistle:; the "shortcuts pane" wasn't implemented by @AstroSkipper per se; it was already implemented by GH dev hawkeye116477 (and mergeg by JustOff) in: 

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy/commit/1e0b42e155373c5d37244e3ee079d357fbb9be48

This merged change happens to be already present inside the 1.16.4.31b2 build (by hawkeye116477), the starting point for Astro's later "releases" :P ...

Yep! :P I thought he should have found out that for himself when conducting such an "investigation". I don't think he really read my article. Or at least, not really thoroughly. nimportequoi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

And again, only half-truths and falsehoods in the Pale Moon forum by our "friend" athenian200, in a thread that is not the official support thread of my mod uBlock Origin Legacy:

Translation: This entire conversation has been much ado about nothing.

The new version is basically the same as the existing version with newer/updated filter lists (going any deeper than that gets us off into the weeds talking about who wrote what line of code when, as you saw). So whether you want to use it or not should be based entirely on what you think of AstroSkipper's choice of filter lists. That's it.

If you already have all your uBO filter lists setup just like you want them? Stick with the existing uBO version and don't worry.

You are struggling to find good filter lists, think he made some good picks, and trust his judgment on that? Then use the mod.

In my mind, that's what this all boils down to for the average user. It's whether you do or do not want an updated default selection of filter lists for uBO.

Source: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30787&sid=feea3eb912a653ba49c1fb3c2bc447f3&start=60#p248309

Why does someone who spreads so many untruths and half-knowledge think he can give advice, especially when he has discredited himself so much with an inadequate examination and disastrous conclusions:whistle: Unbelievable! suisjebete.gif He shouldn't gloss over mistakes he has made, but rather apologise to his readers for the nonsense which he spread there. animiertes-schilder-smilies-bild-0145.gi 
Read here: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30787&sid=feea3eb912a653ba49c1fb3c2bc447f3&start=60#p248292

The only thing that is really true in his stories is that he has no idea about extensions. :P Here is a quotation from the linked post above:

And so when it comes to that kind of stuff, I am kinda stumbling around in the dark more than I'd like to admit.

smileysdanslenoir.gif
Anyway! If one had read the changelogs I provided, one would have realised that not only filter lists were changed. Please, ignore what this guy is saying there! ssuper5sur5.gif Form your own independent and uninfluenced opinion! Therefore, I advise everyone to read here or ask questions here to get factually correct answers or information when it comes to my mod uBlock Origin Legacy:yes:

Kind regards, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

And a special thanks to @nicolaasjan for providing objective and real facts in that inofficial Pale Moon thread! I really appreciate your objectivity and practicality. As you probably know, I haven't posted on the Pale Moon forum for a long time. And I always feel vindicated in this decision when I read such comments. Thanks again! :)