My HDD speed slow or normal?

thomasxxx

Hi MSFN gurus..

My hard drive supports even SATA3 i know..I've purchased it past year. It's a seagate 2.5" thin laptop HDD which is 5400 RPM.

Recently, i've purchased a HDD Caddy from Amazon..(uGreen - and that also supports all new features.). I throw out my old CD-RW drive and put that HDD caddy on there. (It's a sata port, not IDE)

When i look from HDD Tune, it seems hard drive working as UDMA 6 Mode and Average speed is 77mb/s. My file transfer speeds also make me sad ...(around 7-8mb/s)

I am using this laptop at AHCI Mode Enabled. I can see it from Device Manager. (Intel 5 Series 4 port SATA AHCI Controller is installed). My system is XP SP3 All driver updates done after i meet this great forum.

As another useful info about system, CPU-Z shows my chipset is HM55 (south bridge).., intel P6100 (2Ghz)..

My question is, all these are normal and usual for me? I wonder why i can't see SATA2 speeds at least after using all that AHCI drivers.

My BIOS shows 2 option only about HDD.

1- Complitable 2- Encanhed ...I am using Encanhed mode, i read, i may mean SATA equal on old Bios's. Btw, i can't choose other option because gives BSOD.

Now since 2 days i want to learn and wonder..Reading over here and Google. Read something about Fernando's Modded Drivers...Am i have to do that kind of thing or am i doing wrong something? Your support much appreciated for me. If something possible for more HDD speed, i wish i don't have to install XP again with press F6 while installion. If there is another way, i will glad to route. Because after all that article reading, i confused honestly :)

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Damnation said:

@thomasxxx

You mentioned you have the HDD drive inside a USB Caddy? if so then you're not using an AHCI driver but are using the USB Mass Storage driver instead.

JFYI, a hdd caddy is usually not an external (USB) enclosure, it is a replacement for the (internal) CD/DVD drive, it looks *like* this:

https://hddcaddy.com/en/content/6-what-is-hdd-caddy

https://hddcaddy.com/en/accesoires/175-sata-hdd-caddy-95mm-universal.html

jaclaz

37 minutes ago, Damnation said:

@thomasxxx

You mentioned you have the HDD drive inside a USB Caddy? if so then you're not using an AHCI driver but are using the USB Mass Storage driver instead.

No, i understand what you mean but it's not Mass Storage my friend. Exactly that one on the attachment as jaclaz explained well. ( That's new to me too. I also thought that both one named/called as "hdd caddy")

Thanks all, question valid.

ugreenpic.jpg

You can grab some Linux live CD/USB and test there too for comparison. If it produces similar results, there is probably not much that a driver change can do to improve speeds. 

Check this for some testing advices - https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/108838/how-can-i-benchmark-my-hdd

At least one tool mentioned there has both Windows and Linux builds available, so you can do a direct comparison - https://github.com/axboe/fio/

77MB/s sounds fine to me.

17 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Modern 5400 ones shouldn't be "slow" as in slow-slow. 

This is only valid if the drive is not the cheap SMR tech. What's the model/maker of the said drive ?

Hey, dear good people..Thanks for your contributions to the thread. Yes i know, a 5400RPM HDD can't make some kind of miracle but honestly, i wonder about just "limits" maybe. This speed, seems weird to me (i mean, slower than it should be)

Before i met here, i never care that kind of things. Never considered, if my hard drive fast or are something up to date etc. Now, i've seen, some of forum members doing incredible things with XP on here and they are already pushing the limits.This is great. So i just wonder and of course, , i'd  like to do something if it's possible..

I love using XP. It's still my main OS and my most important files in it. I've purchased that drive after small bad sector on old one and it's 2.5" inch.. You know maybe, it's hard to find 7200RPM 2.5" drives. Anyway.. Here's the modal dear D.Draker..

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST500LT012-1DG142-566-0001SDM1-500GB/dp/B00VUN6U96

RainyShadow, good idea..Worth to try at spare times Actually, i don't want to make it on my current system. Worried about it's stability. You know, ,it can always be setbacks, surprise boot errors etc. But thanks for idea. I can make something on VM or it could hire from somewhere like Azure and set up a Ubuntu..Actually maybe i can try setup XP with Raid drivers at VM too.

Till now, i started to believe it's really impossible to see SATA II speeds on this unfortunately. Some people on other boards claim to install USB3.0 drivers on XP. I don't know how much true but maybe after purchase some hdd enclosure and doing that, maybe..Just a big maybe :)