Windows 11 First Impressions

Dave-H

Well it's still working at the moment, I got a cumulative update patch via Windows Update two days ago, and Windows Update still seems to be working now, patching the Windows Defender.
I'm guessing the "change", if it happens, may well come with the next Patch Tuesday roll-out on September 14th.
We will see what happens!
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

Interesting to note that it seems that MS did not announce an RTM date for Windows 11, but did announce GA.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/08/31/windows-11-available-on-october-5/

I hope to get to try it out soon. There doesn't seem to be any real update for the ADK, so I'm first going to see if I can deploy it just like Windows 10 aka Vista.

56 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

There doesn't seem to be any real update for the ADK, so I'm first going to see if I can deploy it just like Windows 10 aka Vista.

latest Windows 10 update broke unattended installs on MDT (Microsoft deployment toolkit that uses ADK). I was scratching my head for good while why all installs errored out until I did found out it was change in unattended setup and had to redo unattended configuration so I wonder if same answer file works to Windows 11 or need custom one

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

• Dave-H changed the title to Windows 11 First Impressions

The ISO for Windows 11 is 200 MB too large to fit on a 4.7 GB DVD. :rolleyes:

EDIT: first usability impressions.

1. The icons being in the middle of the taskbar is weird. I do not like how if you open something, all of the icons shift to accomodate the new one, and then shift back when you close something.

2. The built-in help is online only. For example if I go to the Taskbar settings and click on "How do I customize the taskbar" option, it opens Help that just says "Looks like you aren't connected to the internet." And then it shows basic troubleshooting instructions for wireless (wifi) settings to make sure you have it turned on or run the troubleshooter. OK well this is a desktop and there is no wireless card in it. I'm guessing this means this OS is designed for notebooks with touchscreens. And also is not fully functional on an isolated network. I hope the Embedded version resolves this, whenever that happens to be released.

3. Also there are some Taskbar options that are enabled by default, when disabled do not actually do anything.

I forgot to get the install key so I was not able to test an auto install and making an image. I will have to try that tomorrow. And I suspect that the current XML is going to work, based solely on the OOBE pages that are presented in offline setup, but we'll see.

There was one Windows 10 64bit ISO recently that wouldn't fit on a DVD either I found, although strangely the next version would!
As I always have trouble booting from memory sticks on my machine, I ended up burning the ISO to a Blu-ray disk, but you have to have a Blu-ray drive for that of course.

If you look in Settings>Personalisation>Taskbar>Taskbar behaviours there is an option there to move the icons back to the left.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

5 hours ago, Dave-H said:

If you look in Settings>Personalisation>Taskbar>Taskbar behaviours there is an option there to move the icons back to the left.

funny that it offers left and middle only and they all are forced to centre until activation of Windows. I guess OS begging, nagging and showing watermark did not make peoples activate Windows so now they force taskbar to wrong place by default to force peoples pick buying licence or losing productivity:lol:

I didn't realise that option was only available if Windows was activated.
My installation was activated automatically with a digital licence when it was first installed, so it's never not been activated.

The ISO size is a bit down. For some comparisons of the last few OSes I've burned:

6,076,022 KB: Windows 10 20H2
5,439,160 KB: Server 2019
4,747,720 KB: Windows 11

I typically use DVD+R DL for OSes in recent years, seeing that 4.7 gave me hope I could use a regular DVD but I guess not. The 200 MB (or was it 200 KB?) was the size ImgBurn had said it was off by.

Is there a list of known things that do not work when Windows 11 is not activated? Nearly all of my work with it is in that state.

3 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Is there a list of known things that do not work when Windows 11 is not activated? Nearly all of my work with it is in that state.

all same thing that did not work on win10 plus task bar being locked wrong way on my tests. Most can be still forced with group policies though if pro

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

On 9/3/2021 at 3:45 PM, Tripredacus said:

I typically use DVD+R DL for OSes in recent years, seeing that 4.7 gave me hope I could use a regular DVD but I guess not.

afaik both + and - have same capacity, they just show it different (marketing coy)

but both are 4.3 GB

Yes, all the different flavours of writeable DVDs are the same capacity, I think they're actually 4.7GB.
I usually use DVD-R disks as I've found them to be the most reliable when it comes to reading them on other drives.
Blu-ray disks are 50GB capacity, an enormous difference!

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Yes, all the different flavours of writeable DVDs are the same capacity, I think they're actually 4.7GB.

Well... not quite. 12 cm, single-sided DVD+R DLs are actually still findable, quite reliable and are 8.5GB. :yes: 
The pre-2016 Verbatim (manufactured by Taiyo Yuden) made in Singapore or in Japan are really excellent, and becoming harder to find, but worth the effort. It's too bad Taiyo Yuden left the optical disks maket... as for its successor, I cannot give any opinion, because I've never yet bought any media made by CRC Magnetics.

Well I never heard of that, you learn something new every day!
I'll have to see if I can find some of those.
Although I can put ISOs onto Blu-ray disks, I can't print on them with my printer as they are too thick to work in it!
:D

I usually get them at Mercado Livre, which is an Argentinian/Brazilian e-Bay clone. But 1st time I bought a spindle was for the real e-Bay, which I think still is the place to look for them, although maybe amazon might sell 'em too.  Don't buy the -R DLs, though, if you stumble upon them. Unlike single layers, where its indiferent whether + or -, the DLs must be +R! :yes:

On 9/5/2021 at 4:42 PM, vinifera said:

afaik both + and - have same capacity, they just show it different (marketing coy)

but both are 4.3 GB

In the shop I only have 3 types of discs to burn with, DVD, DVD DL (Dual Layer) and good old CD-R. I do not like putting OS installs onto a USB, it takes up a USB and I have to work with many different OS versions so burning them to disc is preferred for me. Rarely have to use CD-R anymore, usually just for memtest or disk tools.

OT: I should be getting the install keys today (I forgot to ask for them last week) and should be able to do a full deployment test to see if anything has changed with that.