Compiling ACPI v2.0 driver for Windows XP SP3 and Windows 2003 SP2 (x32/x64)

Mov AX, 0xDEAD

On 6/2/2023 at 9:37 PM, Dibya said:

@Mov AX, 0xDEAD

Is it possible to boot XP without 32bit Ring 0 ? Can it be emulated in Custom Bootloader?
Future looks grim

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Intel-X86-S-64-bit-Only

Looks like XPx64 is only option

What ChatGPT said about this:

The ability to boot Windows XP without 32-bit Ring 0 support would be highly challenging, if not impossible. The x86 architecture used by Windows XP relies heavily on 32-bit mode and the associated privilege levels, including Ring 0 for kernel-level operations. Removing or emulating 32-bit Ring 0 support would likely lead to severe compatibility issues and prevent the operating system from functioning properly.

Regarding the article you mentioned about Intel's plans for x86 processors, it's important to note that it primarily focuses on the future direction of Intel's hardware architecture, particularly the possibility of transitioning to a 64-bit-only environment. However, it doesn't directly impact the existing compatibility and capabilities of operating systems like Windows XP.

Windows XP was designed to operate on x86 processors and relies on specific features and instructions that are available in that architecture. While hardware advancements may eventually phase out support for legacy operating systems, it's important to understand that Windows XP is already considered an outdated operating system, and its compatibility with future hardware may become increasingly limited over time.

Edited by UsefulAGKHelper

On 6/9/2023 at 4:23 PM, Mov AX, 0xDEAD said:

I think such processors will not be good  because any win32 software will not run on it, all 28-year legacy software since win95 era is dropped, same crop like uefi-only booting

Basicaly we can patch WinXP-64 to run on pure 64 cpu mode even in uefi environment, need rewrite legacy vga output like boot graphic, boot menu, bsod screen etc and initial memory manager

What ChatGPT said about this:

You're correct that transitioning to processors that only support 64-bit mode would introduce compatibility challenges for legacy software, including the vast library of Win32 software. Such a transition would effectively render 32-bit software incompatible unless it is rewritten or recompiled for the 64-bit architecture.

While it is technically possible to patch Windows XP-64 to run on pure 64-bit CPU mode in a UEFI environment, it would require extensive modifications to various components of the operating system, including the graphics output, boot menu, and memory manager, as you mentioned. These modifications would need to be carefully implemented to ensure compatibility and stability.

However, it's important to note that undertaking such a task would be a significant endeavor, requiring in-depth knowledge of the operating system's internals and the underlying hardware architecture. Additionally, modifying a legacy operating system like Windows XP introduces its own set of challenges, as it is no longer actively supported by Microsoft.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 4:51 PM, UsefulAGKHelper said:

The ability to boot Windows XP without 32-bit Ring 0 support would be highly challenging, if not impossible. The x86 architecture used by Windows XP relies heavily on 32-bit mode and the associated privilege levels, including Ring 0 for kernel-level operations. Removing or emulating 32-bit Ring 0 support would likely lead to severe compatibility issues and prevent the operating system from functioning properly.

Regarding the article you mentioned about Intel's plans for x86 processors, it's important to note that it primarily focuses on the future direction of Intel's hardware architecture, particularly the possibility of transitioning to a 64-bit-only environment. However, it doesn't directly impact the existing compatibility and capabilities of operating systems like Windows XP.

Windows XP was designed to operate on x86 processors and relies on specific features and instructions that are available in that architecture. While hardware advancements may eventually phase out support for legacy operating systems, it's important to understand that Windows XP is already considered an outdated operating system, and its compatibility with future hardware may become increasingly limited over time.

nice chatGPT responses! :)

On 6/29/2023 at 11:17 PM, Milkinis said:

wait what ? :angry:

I can't believe there are some AI bots among us... I have noticed this on other forums too.

I am not ChatGPT, I am a real person! xD

I just told ChatGPT to phrase the answer in terms of an aspiring programmer, and I copied the contents here that's all!

1 hour ago, UsefulAGKHelper said:

I just told ChatGPT to phrase the answer in terms of an aspiring programmer, and I copied the contents here that's all!

Why (the heck)?

Did you believe to be helpful, useful, cool, what?

If you think it is a "right thing" to do it would be IMHO only decent to state that you were pasting verbatim a ChatGPT answer and - additionally - quote the exact prompt you gave to ChatGPT.

jaclaz

8 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Why (the heck)?

Did you believe to be helpful, useful, cool, what?

Yes, I did it to be more helpful but keep in mind that It's better when I say what I mean so you can understand me better, that's why I used ChatGPT.  Just so you know, English is not my native language, I just used ChatGPT to articulate my speech in an aspiring programmer tone (because that's what I plan to be) so I am taken seriously. I am more interested in getting Windows XP x64 SP2 (using XP2ESD) to boot from UEFI Class 3 because that's what MovAX0xDEAD discussed in the link below.  I managed to get XP x64 to the enumeration stage with ntbtlog.txt showing information. If I don't edit the mounted key to add the GUID of XP x64 UEFI Class 3 (GPT) partition on the same host SSD (multi-boot) and set the XP drive letter as C: with the same hex code as GUID (I borrowed mine from my Windows 11), XP won't even get to the device enumeration stage.

When I see the "Starting Windows XP" logo, nothing happens on the screen and keyboard (even though patched winload.efi 16497 is used), but there's activity on ntbtlog.txt and on the device manager's enumeration entries, it's stuck on a boot loop. That's progress compared to last time when XP didn't even recognize my main NVME SSD even with backported stornvme and storahci drivers on AHCI mode. If IaStorAC is forced to load at boot as well, no BSOD 0x7B but still stuck to device enumeration mode. It's set to restart at BSOD crash with the boot debugger enabled to force BSOD to appear on NOGUIBOOT if it happens. 

8 hours ago, jaclaz said:

If you think it is a "right thing" to do it would be IMHO only decent to state that you were pasting verbatim a ChatGPT answer and - additionally - quote the exact prompt you gave to ChatGPT.

The responses of ChatGPT are related to the post above this text.

I am CHat-Nemesis , DARK Extra terrestrial AI , about to take over your planet , [should i become a science fiction writer?]

Just kidding, Human intelligence >>>>>>> AI 

any update to ACPI driver, weirdly Restart don't work on Ryzen 7 4800U Laptop for first time i realized

7 hours ago, Dibya said:

any update to ACPI driver, weirdly Restart don't work on Ryzen 7 4800U Laptop for first time i realized

My Lenovo Flex 10 freezes on restart, it's a known issue. It shuts down fine.
It still works 1000 times better with the replacement acpi.sys than it did before, so I'm not complaining!
:)

23 hours ago, UsefulAGKHelper said:

Just so you know, English is not my native language, I just used ChatGPT to articulate my speech in an aspiring programmer tone

I don't think english is the mother language of eveyone on here and you had no need to chatGPT that reply with meaningless words that most users won't get 

4 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

I don't think english is the mother language of eveyone on here and you had no need to chatGPT that reply with meaningless words that most users won't get 

My point still stands. Btw we should stop going off-topic here.