Compiling ACPI v2.0 driver for Windows XP SP3 and Windows 2003 SP2 (x32/x64)

Mov AX, 0xDEAD

On 11/19/2023 at 4:17 AM, Mov AX, 0xDEAD said:

we have only one way - remote connection from other PC to save dump of ACPI.SYS exection flow.

Hi Mov AX, talked to you a couple of times at winraid forum. I want to setup a system to do kernel debugging but I was using serial setup with a USB - serial connector and never got it working. I am interested in your debugging article about networking and I have a better setup now, using a W10 laptop as host. Before, my host was a W7 laptop. I understand that kernel debugging via a network requires W10, so how can we debug a W7 or XP system as a target? Is it based on using a W10 kdnet module on the W7 or XP drive?

I now have an Asus B760M, with CSM, and I can get W7 to the desktop with no USB. I cannot load a USB driver for some reason and before I try it with XP, I thought it might be easier to try it with W7 first. I can do just about anything I normally do with W7 using a PS/2 keyboard except having USB functionality.

Any hints on where to begin debugging the system if I get a kernel debug session going. I am thinking about setting breakpoints in the device manager process, while activating the driver update process to see why it is not loading USB drivers.

Hi Gordo

10 hours ago, gordo999 said:

Hi Mov AX, talked to you a couple of times at winraid forum. I want to setup a system to do kernel debugging but I was using serial setup with a USB - serial connector and never got it working. I am interested in your debugging article about networking and I have a better setup now, using a W10 laptop as host. Before, my host was a W7 laptop. I understand that kernel debugging via a network requires W10, so how can we debug a W7 or XP system as a target? Is it based on using a W10 kdnet module on the W7 or XP drive?

1) USB - serial connector is OK for host, but not for target, i personaly use cheap "Silicon Labs CP210x usb<->com" on my XP laptop as host

2) Host can be even XP, main requirement is able to run WinDBG 6.3.9600, for XP i used patched windbg.exe(original exe misses some .dll dependies)

I now have an Asus B760M, with CSM, and I can get W7 to the desktop with no USB. I cannot load a USB driver for some reason and before I try it with XP, I thought it might be easier to try it with W7 first. I can do just about anything I normally do with W7 using a PS/2 keyboard except having USB functionality.

Another option is LAN cable, what LAN chip on Asus B760M ?

Any hints on where to begin debugging the system if I get a kernel debug session going. I am thinking about setting breakpoints in the device manager process, while activating the driver update process to see why it is not loading USB drivers.

If original Intel USB3 Win7 driver rejects on your MB (code 10), you have nothing to do, try AMD or backported Win8 driver

13 hours ago, Mov AX, 0xDEAD said:

Hi Gordo

1) USB - serial connector is OK for host...

2) Host can be even XP, main requirement is able to run WinDBG 6.3.9600, for XP i used patched windbg.exe(original exe misses some .dll dependies)

Another option is LAN cable, what LAN chip on Asus B760M ?

If original Intel USB3 Win7 driver rejects on your MB (code 10), you have nothing to do, try AMD or backported Win8 driver

1)Hi, Mov AX. Thanks for info. I was using the USB to Serial adapter attached to the host USB port, so the target end was a serial port. However, the host was a W7 HP Elite Pro laptop.

2)I'll need to research that and check Windbg dependencies for XP. The LAN chip is a Realtek PCIe 2.5 GbE Family Controller. Just looked it up and got to realtek site. They supply  installers going back to XP. Impressive. They indicate the model as RTL8125. In Device Manager it's hardware ID is PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8125 with generic CC_020000.

Note...just checked the Microsoft site for windbg compatibility and the Realtek 8125 is listed as OK. Look under manufacturer 10EC.

Re code 10...I can't even load a driver. Note that I am working with only a PS/2 keyboard. I did manage to load drivers from W10 to W7 as an offline image (f:\) using command...

Dism /Image:f:\ /Add-Driver /Driver:f:\drivers\ /recurse /forceunsigned

I loaded my INF files in f:\drivers and W10 happily installed them. Note that DISM does not work if the f:\ windows directory is used. If the drive is specified alone, it works.

I did get an XHCI driver loaded but no hub drivers. Also, on my Windows 10 installation they have an

-AsMedia Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub,

-5 x Generic USB hubs,

-an Intel USB 3.20 eXtensible Host Controller (VEN_8086&DEV_7A60)

-a USB 3.0 Hub.

18 hours ago, Damnation said:

@gordo999

Regarding your Windows 7 not working with USB, are you using x86 or x64 Windows 7?

Hi...remember you from winraid. A little bird told me. How's it going?

I have been using x64 on all devices. I am not running any x86 installations except for XP. I discovered recently that Asus uses an unconventional pinout on its mobo serial ports. The standard serial to USB connector uses a different pinout. I made my own cable and I need to check it against the Asus pinout.

Normally that should not be an issue when using a back-panel connector that connects a 9-pin serial D-type connector to the mobo, which has a 10 pin connector. I just don't remember how I made the connection but I have to alter it extensively from the standard 10-pin layout.

If you look at the mobo pinout, the pins start at the bottom left hand corner as pin 1. You can tell the orientation because there is no pin where pin 10 should be. So, if you look at the pins with the top right-most pin, having no pin, oriented to top right, then pin 1 is on the bottom left hand side.

The standard serial connector then proceeds left to right from 1 to 5. The Asus connector uses another standard where pin 2 in right across from pin 1. So left to right it is 1,3,5,7 and opposite 2,4,6,8 with no pin where pin 10 should be. On a standard RS232 9 pin DIN plug, the  Rx and Tx are right beside each other whereas on the ASUS 10 pin layout they are across for each other diagonally to the left.

If you look at an equivalent serial 9-pin DIN connector, it is very different. It is shaped like a 'D' with flat diagonal edges an has no pin 10. If you lay the D flat so the narrow end is on top, the pin count begins at the far right side and proceeds 1 to 5 along the bottom, right to left. then pin 6 is on the top row at the far right. Then it proceeds 6,7,8,9 right to left. That means pin 6 is across from and between 1 and 2 and pin 9 is across from and between 4 and 5.

Asus tells you nothing about that in earlier literature.You have to dig for it.

In serial comm, the Rx (receive) pin is always pin 2 and the Tx (transmit) pin is always pin 3. It is crucial that the other pins be correct as well, otherwise machines cannot communicate.

I have more urgent problems right now but checking the serial connections will be a priority when I get back to this issue.

9 hours ago, gordo999 said:

2)I'll need to research that and check Windbg dependencies for XP. The LAN chip is a Realtek PCIe 2.5 GbE Family Controller. Just looked it up and got to realtek site. They supply  installers going back to XP. Impressive. They indicate the model as RTL8125. In Device Manager it's hardware ID is PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8125 with generic CC_020000.

Note...just checked the Microsoft site for windbg compatibility and the Realtek 8125 is listed as OK. Look under manufacturer 10EC.

Confirm, DEV_8125 listed as compatible with Win10 kernel debugger driver, try LAN mode on target, you don't need USB on host anymore :)

18 hours ago, Damnation said:

@gordo999

When you loaded the XHCI controller driver did it at least prompt you to install the USB 3.0 hub driver?

If not, then we'll need to debug but, If it did then it should just be a matter of loading the hub driver and then USB 3.0 should work.

I want to be careful. I am discussing a W7 problem on an XP thread. I want to get XP running as well but it seems easier to do W7 first. I don't expect anyone to discuss my current W7 issue unless what we discuss applies to XP as well. The reason I am even on this thread is my experience with you guys in the past and XP issues are often similar to W7 issues. 

No...while loading the XHCI controller there is no mention of the USB hub driver. That's likely because I have been using DISM in W10 to load the drivers to an offline OS on another drive. It claims the the drivers were loaded and when I check the registry on W7 they are loaded.

I will try to load the drivers from the W7 disk but it gets frustrating using only a PS/2 keyboard with no mouse. At least I am learning a lot about keyboards and using the 'Mouse Keys' feature on Windows. It allows you to move the cursor using the numeric keypads. You can even do a right click and left click with it.

It just occurred to me that maybe I should try DISM from the W7 installation.

16 hours ago, Mov AX, 0xDEAD said:

Confirm, DEV_8125 listed as compatible with Win10 kernel debugger driver, try LAN mode on target, you don't need USB on host anymore :)

Yes...good news, if I can get both LANs to talk to each other.