Windows 11 , The Worst Crap Ever

Dibya

On 5/18/2022 at 2:29 PM, Tripredacus said:

sometime during the late 90s some studies were run and it was found that using the dark themes (the High Contrast Black OS theme) was beneficial to CRT display longevity

True and still valid today ! Just measure power consumption with white theme. Doesn't matter , CRT , CCFL or LED - it would still be higher . 

Not to mention bright white borders are simply distracting . Remember instagram from 2010 with the terrible image quality and awful white (huge borders) . Why wouldn't they implement smth like nero borders ? I mean Nero photo viewer with neutral grey borders.

My Samsung SyncMaster S20B350 is much better than my old dell on the eyes, but sometimes at night, I need to have little book lights on the side or light on behind me or my eyes burn after a while. I Don't know.

spacer.png

On 5/18/2022 at 12:54 AM, XPerceniol said:

Thank heavens for that ... those 90 rave parties only bring back bad (very bad) memories. I'm sort of shocked I made it through the 90s in all honesty.

I Promise: Final posting in threads that have nothing to do with me nor for things that don't involve me and sorry for so much off-topic postings to the mods.

Considering huge texts you usually write (I mean huge in a good sense), your mind is in quite good shape , so don't cut yourself short . I'm an ex-military and I damaged my ears with loud explosions and now I have tinnitus,  it's like one million cats scratching your ears inside all at once , sometimes it changes to "just" hissing , esp. during nights  and I go like this image below. Sometimes it gets worse and it's kinda hard to write big texts and concetrate (during these episodes) , so only basic insticts work.

Not writing this so someone could say I'm sorry for you , please don't . It's just to cheer you up , you're a nice person , I think ! And I'll survive, that's what I had been trained to do. 

Did you try Windows 11 , sorry if I missed .

4802da05fbd083f54bfe2a8a3d0b0269.jpg

3 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

My Samsung SyncMaster S20B350 is much better than my old dell on the eyes, but sometimes at night, I need to have little book lights on the side or light on behind me or my eyes burn after a while. I Don't know.

It's because these LED backlights burn you retina. Try to find a CCFL monitor. Or purchase blue light blocking eyeglasses , at least.

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Not writing this so someone could say I'm sorry for you , please don't . It's just to cheer you up , you're a nice person , I think ! And I'll survive, that's what I had been trained to do. 

4802da05fbd083f54bfe2a8a3d0b0269.jpg

Hi! Just felt needed more than a like as I liked that you opened up and that is so important to not keep things bottled up. We don't always have in real life and space online ( I no longer do ) , but like you, I don't like sympathy nor pity. Right, we are surviving this existence as best as can even during struggles. I used to be jealous of others, but now, I think to myself, I wouldn't want their problems. We all have them, everyone.

Thanks and you did cheer me up with he picture and trust me, sometimes I feel like screaming, but why bother, nobody even knows I'm alive I'm so isolated. But anyway, I appreciate your advice about the monitor and I'm stuck with what I got, sad to say, but will request those glasses. I just take breaks.

sorry my friend, I've hit a block and likely at the right spot anyway .. hahah.

This is off topic and I breaking the rules here countless times with that, but, no, I doubt I'll ever try win 11 and my apologies to the staff for that.

On 5/12/2022 at 5:28 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Regarding Win7 - is there some trick for the USB to be POWERED OFF when you eject a flash drive?  XP and 10 both power the flash drive OFF when it says safe to remove.

Yes, supposedly there is - https://www.thewindowsclub.com/usb-port-remains-active-even-after-using-safely-remove-hardware

The official article regarding this appears to have been removed.

On 5/20/2022 at 4:23 PM, D.Draker said:
On 5/20/2022 at 4:00 PM, XPerceniol said:

It's because these LED backlights burn you retina. Try to find a CCFL monitor. Or purchase blue light blocking eyeglasses , at least.

Regarding blue light, there's also f.lux and similar software.

Edited by UCyborg

On 4/20/2022 at 8:23 PM, sonyu said:

An era ended with w10 version 1511 10586. Any after this (even this) it's a beta OS with a strange & confused GUI. Just a personal opinion. w10/11 memory, cpu and resource management sure it's better but we want less. LESS IS MORE. Why can't we switch between WDDM versions ? or turn things like gpu memory pagination on or off ? why can't we switch DWM versions ? This will be a true advantage... not all these widgets and a new taskbar with less functionality with every new version...

I realize this is only tangentially related to the topic, but very interesting you should say this. Windows 10 build 1511 is the last usable version of Windows for some people with eyestrain (including myself) on a different forum I participate in. We use mostly Window 7 through to Windows 10 2015 LTSB (build 1507). Something MS introduced with build 1607 (Anniversary Edition) messes with our eyes.

Mostly we are called crazy but Windows builds definitely influence our strain, as demonstrated by many users over years who independently came to the same conclusion.

Edited by degen

5 hours ago, degen said:

but Windows builds definitely influence our strain

Agreed!  I am in the same camp!  You're not crazy!  Vista and Win7 literally give me migraines.  For me, it's not blue light and it's not screen brightness.

It's red and green "pixels" dancing and gyrating and flashing in the "corners" of font edges.

It's six to nine color shades being used to create text and my eyes can SEE all six to nine color shades and the eyes constantly try to perform a presise focus on where one color shade turns into a close-but-not-identical color shade!

It's called "sub-pixel anti-aliased" font rendering, sometimes just called "font smoothing" and I have to jump through hoops to elliminate all presence of it - both OS-level and browser-level.

I can "tolerate" Win7 and Win10 only if Segoe UI font is "substituted" via the registry and anti-aliased fonts are completely disabled and prevented from being used at the browser level.

I think there were class-action lawsuits against Microsoft at the time, but I didn't follow them as I quickly reverted to XP and still use it as my daily driver.

I only use Win7 and Win10 on a 55" 4K TV for various 3D CAD (not a gamer!) and sit 10' away from the screen, so no issues under that scenario.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

On 5/21/2022 at 10:23 PM, UCyborg said:

No such software that could reduce the amount of blue light coming from LEDs. All it does just plays with RGB values to make it look like somewhat less blue.  The problem is any LED emits blue light by itself.

On 5/21/2022 at 4:23 PM, UCyborg said:

Yes, supposedly there is - https://www.thewindowsclub.com/usb-port-remains-active-even-after-using-safely-remove-hardware

The official article regarding this appears to have been removed.

Sorry I missed your posting as I backed away from this thread, but will try tonight and let you know if it helps - Thanks :)

20 hours ago, D.Draker said:

No such software that could reduce the amount of blue light coming from LEDs. All it does just plays with RGB values to make it look like somewhat less blue.  The problem is any LED emits blue light by itself.

Why does it matter? If it's effectively not blue, then its still not blue. I've never heard of anyone (myself included) having stuff like LED panels/backlights be less good with f.lux.

Fundamentally, it doesn't make sense, either... If you have more blue light, you must also have more red/green, or the effective color would be blue. So maybe the display overall would be brighter, but if that's the case just turn the backlight brightness down (or adjust the gamma down if brightness is already at minimum).

There just inst a way to have more blue light emitted for a given total brightness, but have it still be the same shade of yellow (which it is, because if its not your monitor isn't functioning right)...

12 minutes ago, i430VX said:

If you have more blue light, you must also have more red/green, or the effective color would be blue.

Agreed!

They don't make things like they used to, as the saying goes.

My $160 cheapie 50" Onn non-smart LED 4K TV died at only three years old.

I just replaced it with a $145 cheapie 55" LG non-smart LED 4K TV.

I know that higher quality TVs cost more and last longer ("you get what you pay for"), but when you divide out the lifespan by the dollars spent, I will always take the cheapie.

But even being a cheapie, this new 55" LG non-smart has a "Reduce Blue Light" option.

When enabled everything looks like crap, everything turns a bit orangeish or greenish depening on the color it is SUPPOSED TO BE and skin tone might as well be some alien sci-fi movie from the 60s!

3 hours ago, i430VX said:

Why does it matter? If it's effectively not blue, then its still not blue.

Try to read about LEDs and how they work , how they make them . Any LED is blue in the very beginning . Then they add plastic covers on top of it to filter out "unneeded" spectres .

LED plastic filters (covers) degrade overtime and damage your retina, I don't own a LED monitor as of now , but tried lots of them and hated all.

I own a very nice CCFL Fujitsu Siemens 24" monitor from 2006 which I had bought for one thousand Euros (approx 1,580 USD by that rate) in 2006. I thought it was expensive , but it turned out to 

be a very good investment .  Not to mention colour reproduction/representation on any LED monitor is just terrible , wrong , distorted. *not true 10 or even 8bit*

42 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

But even being a cheapie, this new 55" LG non-smart has a "Reduce Blue Light" option.

When enabled everything looks like crap, everything turns a bit orangeish or greenish depening on the color it is SUPPOSED TO BE and skin tone might as well be some alien sci-fi movie from the 60s!

Oh yes, TV is bound to look a bit weird with such an option, especially if its done imprecisely

41 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Try to read about LEDs and how they work , how they make them . Any LED is blue in the very beginning . Then they add plastic covers on top of it to filter out "unneeded" spectres .

No, LEDs are colored by the energy of the band-gap crossing. It can be fine-tuned with phosphor, but the plastic coatings you are thinking of are only present for any significant work on really cheap and individual LEDs. They may exist on others sometimes, but they aren't doing anything significant and their wearing out would be not very significant (maybe a small color shift at most). (I've never seen one of those wear out, however). There is of course no way to make white light with only dyed plastic.

41 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

LED plastic filters (covers) degrade overtime and damage your retina, I don't own a LED monitor as of now , but tried lots of them and hated all.

Blue LEDs were actually the last color of LED to be economically produced at scale, but they are generally what is used for phosphor LEDs. Phosphor is not plastic and I don't think it wears out, at least in the useful life of any device.

If phosphors did wear out, you'd have a BIG problem with your CCFL panels (or other fluorescent lamps). Fluorescent light starts out as UV light, and is only turned white after hitting the tube's phosphor coating!

I see no reason that any monitor type would particularly damage one's eyes, and I have not heard of any studies that confirmed something like that. Spending most of my time on computers in front of LED backlit panels, my retinas (or other eye components) have no signs of burning out yet. The main thing is just selecting a monitor (and settings) that have appropriate size, focus, brightness, and contrast for your eyes and computing environment.

I would be very, VERY surprised if the LEDs are actually what you hate in those panels. I would think its either a negative placebo or there is some other aspect in whatever display you have (there are plenty of ways to make LED displays suck, just the same as with CCFL).

I have never been able to tell the difference between CCFL and LED displays, save for one thing: CCFLs need to "warm up" to reach full brightness.

That said, if you put me in front of an already-operating panel, I wont be able to discern which is LED and which is CCFL.

References:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

(disassembling dozens of broken panels out of curiosity also helped)

One more thing: I suppose I did not really touch on panels that use LEDs in the place of LCDs but those are discernibly different, and also quite rare (still generally cost prohibitive for monitor-like sizes)

To my understanding, most "LED" monitors/TVs are referring to the backlight, and that is what I am referring to with "LEDs" here.

Edited by i430VX

3 hours ago, i430VX said:

1 - the plastic coatings you are thinking of are only present for any significant work on really cheap

2 - Spending most of my time on computers in front of LED backlit panels, my retinas (or other eye components) have no signs of burning out yet. 

1 - That's what seemed to be relevant because the original poster wrote he doesn't have enough bucks to upgrade. So we can safely assume his monitor isn't on the professional side of things.

Anyways , this seems to be OT here , if you deisire to talk about LED vs. CCFL , you're welcome to create a new topic and I'll join. 

2 - What are you , eighteen ? Just wait until you're 50 . BTW, I'd trade your age for a cool PRO monitor for several thousands of bucks any time , LOL.