ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

AstroSkipper

OT :P

On 8/20/2022 at 3:10 AM, mina7601 said:

runs on a Intel Core i7-10875H CPU 2.30GHz, 2304 Mhz, 8 cores CPU Processor on a SSD with 32 GB RAM. It's a Lenovo laptop BTW.

This must have set you back a small fortune, hasn't it? High-End H/W is constantly on the rise here price-wise, due to
1. shortage of rare-earth metals (and other semiconductors) used inside electronics chips

2. exorbitant rises :realmad: in energy costs (natural gas, electricity, petrol, etc.) - in part due to the Russia-Ukraine conflict - which is reflected in elevated production/transportation costs :( ...

A laptop of those specs can easily cost something near (or above) the neighbourhood of 1,000 Euros here, when the average (monthly) salary is considerably below that :( ... Take good care of your high-performance laptop, then... :)

19 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

This must have set you back a small fortune, hasn't it? High-End H/W is constantly on the rise here price-wise, due to
1. shortage of rare-earth metals (and other semiconductors) used inside electronics chips

2. exorbitant rises :realmad: in energy costs (natural gas, electricity, petrol, etc.) - in part due to the Russia-Ukraine conflict - which is reflected in elevated production/transportation costs :( ...

A laptop of those specs can easily cost something near (or above) the neighbourhood of 1,000 Euros here, when the average (monthly) salary is considerably below that :( ... Take good care of your high-performance laptop, then... :)

OT, too! This morning I looked at a brochure from ALDI and there, in the online shop, they offer a gamer laptop with 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Intel Core i7 12700H and NVIDIA Geforce 3070 Ti laptop GPU with 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM for 2299.- €. nonono.gif No neighbourhood of 1000 Euros! :P ALDI:buehehe:

Edited by AstroSkipper

51 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

1. shortage of rare-earth metals

How many "save the planet" folks are really even aware of "rare earth" versus "fossil fuel" and how both effect the environment?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/05/clean-energys-dirty-little-secret/307377/

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/194010-rare-earth-elements-are-this-centurys-crude-oil

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

A laptop of those specs can easily cost something near (or above) the neighbourhood of 1,000 Euros here, when the average (monthly) salary is considerably below that :( ...

I know it's expensive, but I got it as a gift in July 12, 2021. (A gift for getting 96% marks in the exams in 3rd preparatory)

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

Take good care of your high-performance laptop, then... :)

Thanks, I will do that and that's for sure.

On 8/21/2022 at 1:19 AM, AstroSkipper said:

More recent hardware, more recent OS which means no Windows XP on that computer. Unfortunately, that is exactly the real problem. jexplique.gif  On new hardware, old OSes are nonsense. Old OSes can't really handle new hardware which they are not developed for. That's the truth! Here in this forum are a lot of people trying to install Windows XP, or much worse, Windows 98,  on a brand new machine. Nonsense, unfortunately!

To also add to this: the people trying to install old OSes (98 or XP) on new machine, after the OS installation is done, they may have trouble finding drivers for their new machine, or they may run into problems when running games, or some apps.

On 8/21/2022 at 2:19 AM, AstroSkipper said:

On new hardware, old OSes are nonsense. Old OSes can't really handle new hardware which they are not developed for. That's the truth! Here in this forum are a lot of people trying to install Windows XP, or much worse, Windows 98,  on a brand new machine. Nonsense, unfortunately!

Why you have to be so correct? That's right folks, get PERIOD-CORRECT hardware if you want to use an old OS without having any hassle! Can't install XP on Z790? Because it wasn't meant to do that! And even if you were able to do so, you'll never be able to reach the full power of your hardware, which means you'll be wasting it. I actually hate to waste my devices, I must be able to use them by utilizing their full potential. Although living with a poor family & being broke led me to do that, I'm thinking to continue to do the same even if I get better economically.

Pentium 3? 98/2000/ME (if you know what you're doing :rolleyes:).
Pentium 4? 2000/XP.
Core 2 Duo? XP/Vista/7.
Core 2 Quad? Vista/7. (I do find quad core on XP overkill)
Core i Series? Go with 7 all the way up until you reach to the point where you can't install it.
Because there will be the moment when Windows 7 will be unable to fully utilize the hardware and you'll be forced to install a newer Windows.

On 8/21/2022 at 6:30 PM, VistaLover said:

To be able to buy it, I'd have to work for 5-6 months without spending my money. Repeating, I cannot spend it, otherwise I wouldn't be able to collect the required amount. He (or she, I think Mina looks like a female name & nice 7601 addition (Windows 7 SP1 build number) by the way! But I had it first :P) must take care of it well.
By the way @AstroSkipper, if I didn't understand wrong, do you need a tester with a period-correct hardware? (for testing hardware load) Because I have that and would be able to test (if old Chrome still is able to render web sites properly though... :dubbio:) I have a Pentium 4 though, and it even has SSE3 (but cannot say it's too powerful though... at the end it's Pentium 4 :D)

22 minutes ago, SC7601 said:

He (or she, I think Mina looks like a female name

... This has come up before in these forums, but @mina7601 is definitely a "he"... :P

22 minutes ago, SC7601 said:

(if old Chrome still is able to render web sites properly though... :dubbio:)

Depends on how old.... If you're referring to Chrome 49, EoS version for XP SP3 (SSE2), no, it can't cope adequately with the web of 2022 :( ... Should use the 360EE forks, based on later Chromium versions (69/78/86) ...

Edited by VistaLover

27 minutes ago, SC7601 said:

He (or she, I think Mina looks like a female name & nice 7601 addition (Windows 7 SP1 build number) by the way! But I had it first :P) must take care of it well.

He, actually. I am a male. and yes, I have 7601 next to my name to indicate that I am a Windows 7 fan. And I will for sure take care of my laptop very well.

6 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... This has come up before in these forums, but @mina7601 is definitely a "he"... :P

Correct, although some people think i'm a "she" because of my name, lol. :P

Gosh, I hope we don't get to the point where we are asked to "Prove" it here ... Nobody would want to see Mister Blobfish, although, I don't wear clothes; I'm a fish :P

I couldn't care less about the gender of a poster, I just try to use the username, matters nothing to me on a computer tech forum. I don't even see on the profile for a setting to indicate this personal information, unless people reveal such, and even then, a username can be something you can relate to and not necessarily corresponding to or opposite of the gender. 

~Off Topic, Of Course~

@mina7601 so good to see you are joking and are not uptight about such things that matter so little in the big scheme of life. :cheerleader:

Edited by XPerceniol
typo ... of course :

1 hour ago, SC7601 said:

By the way @AstroSkipper, if I didn't understand wrong, do you need a tester with a period-correct hardware? (for testing hardware load) Because I have that and would be able to test (if old Chrome still is able to render web sites properly though... :dubbio:) I have a Pentium 4 though, and it even has SSE3 (but cannot say it's too powerful though... at the end it's Pentium 4 :D)

Hello @SC7601! That's correct! I would be very pleased if I got feedback from users who can test my program package in a real installation (no VM) of Windows XP on a period-correct hardware. BTW, my Windows XP computer is equipped with a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz Northwood single core CPU and only 1.5 GB SD-RAM. No SSD, no SATA but IDE hard disks, and the graphic card is NVIDIA 6200 AGP 4x. You see, we both are running Windows XP on a Pentium 4. You do not need to use old Chrome browsers. In the MSFN forum, we have a lot of browsers compatible with Windows XP and quite recent to surf the web nowadays. Here is the link to the post of my program package:

And here is the link to the forum with topics referring to browsers in Windows XP:
https://msfn.org/board/forum/201-browsers-working-on-older-nt-family-oses/
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask me! :yes:

Greetings from Germany, AstroSkipper ecrire-ordi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

10 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I'd be half tempted to "put money on it" that this is the type of forum that garners ZERO females.  Not to stereotype or anything.

Right! The probability of success to talk to a female person in this forum converges towards zero. :)  A pity, actually! ordi01.gif