Windows 7 on the Intel Alder Lake/Z690 platform

Carlos S. M.

I just really dislike OSs that came out after 7, so I use it myself and try my best to help others stay on 7 as long as possible. :)

This motherboard has Intel I225-V network controllers, so the drivers I uploaded should install, maybe there are some updates missing.

"PCI Simple Communication" is "Intel Management Engine Interface", it does not affect anything, so you can not install it. Also, when I installed 7 on a computer with i5 12400 I couldn't find a driver for Intel Serial IO GPIO Host Controller, but that doesn't affect it either. But you can remove them by installing stubs. And there was also an ACPI Wake Alarm Driver on that computer. Here is another archive with all these drivers.

https://mega.nz/file/fj5nhZKb#HU9AhQ0WphxPoPsacVdbpgmonv9J1w1XLsk5JpOs1Wo

4 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

I just really dislike OSs that came out after 7, so I use it myself and try my best to help others stay on 7 as long as possible. :)

I have to thank you again, and you will not believe that I have such allergy to post 7 OS, that the only system I was forcibly made to use is 10 NTSC Enterprise.

And this system recently had partially collapsed during moving to new PC LMFAO... Now trying to revive it to full health, all OFC due to MS mentally corrupted devs who follow-up Corpo sell sell sell 11... I really hate the 10

and do not even think what dung will be implemented in 11.

All those mistakes imported from pre NT even, not user focused interface, metrics problems and drifting to Stupidphone interacting procedures.

All those systems are "a huge, expensive machines for blowing out candle"

So we are, about Windows 7, brothers from different mothers :)

Now disconnected all hardware from PC

will try again in-place-install-repair....

I would set new LTSC and move all from old, but it seems like it is not really possible.

Failed also twice.

Maybe you will know what to do with something like "ghost UEFI system boots", I have one M.2 now but during classic start have like 3 screens

with non-working BCD links... 3rd screen is showing live systems...maybe later will show what I think about making photos during boot.

For now, good night and good luck.

5 hours ago, PitKoz said:

Maybe you will know what to do with something like "ghost UEFI system boots", I have one M.2 now but during classic start have like 3 screens

I try to avoid UEFI if possible and install the OS in Legacy mode. That's why I can't probably help you with this. But as far as I know, besides a working boot loader on the disk you need to set up Windows Loader in the Boot section of the BIOS.

9 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

I try to avoid UEFI if possible and install the OS in Legacy mode. That's why I can't probably help you with this. But as far as I know, besides a working boot loader on the disk you need to set up Windows Loader in the Boot section of the BIOS.

I guess there is big problem rising with MS which never liked multisystem configuration, and legacy and UEFI has separate BCD-s in different locations

I guess the problem is with bios which reads legacy and UEFI BCD from the boot partition despite it was ordered to read only UEFI

Legacy is starting so slow... I guess it does no matter to you, as your PC is not this complicated as mine.

You can always boot both modes, no matter how all was setup, for Windows 7 we need only win7 UEFI loader in BCD boot folder, as UEFI 10 loader is not loading win 7.

After sorting all systems will simplify it much.

Got too much computer for now,

Yesterday finally managed tricky fresh installation of LTSC 21H2, tricky as it looks like it can be only cloned or setup with upgraded image, 

The installation got all drivers from working copy and did not implement them into setup, so it was all the time result InaccessibleBootDevice.

Inserted missing F6 drivers with DriverStoreExplorer.v0.11.92...

Cheers

21 hours ago, PitKoz said:

I guess the problem is with bios which reads legacy and UEFI BCD from the boot partition despite it was ordered to read only UEFI

No, that is not possible.

Neither Bios nor UEFI read the BCD.

BIOS reads the MBR and its code then loads the bootsector of the partition, the bootsector code loads the BOOTMGR that reads the BCD (the one in \boot\BCD).

UEFI reads the BOOTMGR.EFI that reads the BCD (the one in /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BCD).

The cause of the slowness must be *something else*.

jaclaz

On 5/26/2023 at 7:00 PM, ED_Sln said:

This motherboard has Intel I225-V network controllers, so the drivers I uploaded should install, maybe there are some updates missing.

What updates you think about: NET 4.8 or something else?

:worship:

Still can not make them work... :no:

Edited by PitKoz

19 hours ago, jaclaz said:

No, that is not possible.

Neither Bios nor UEFI read the BCD.

BIOS reads the MBR and its code then loads the bootsector of the partition, the bootsector code loads the BOOTMGR that reads the BCD (the one in \boot\BCD).

UEFI reads the BOOTMGR.EFI that reads the BCD (the one in /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BCD).

The cause of the slowness must be *something else*.

jaclaz

Thank You for showing interest to help me.

In Compatibility mode I have now 3 screens with systems to chose first is completely odd, so links are not valid at all second is very long has empty managers links and valid links to systems and 3rd one with all valid links

in BIOS there is only one boot disk/partition designated to start it is NVMe Samsung directly attached to CPU

Visual bcd  editor shows this:

obraz.thumb.png.6543fe1bf413404dc06f7d8beba792bf.png

and easyBCD:

obraz.thumb.png.959faeaac62f48f019a07ddf171a4a4a.png

obraz.thumb.png.2a5431606a418e827cd12744d2393c3f.png

This UEFI for multi boot systems is a bit tricky... so far did not decipher the multilayer design of it

Any idea where to start this clean-up?

All Advices will be appreciated.:worship:

11 hours ago, PitKoz said:

What updates you think about: NET 4.8 or something else?

No, I mean important system updates, like "Platform Update" KB2670838; "SHA-2" KB4490628 and KB4474419-v3. The best thing to do is to have the system fully updated.

2 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

No, I mean important system updates, like "Platform Update" KB2670838; "SHA-2" KB4490628 and KB4474419-v3. The best thing to do is to have the system fully updated.

We are still talking about win 7 and 225v net cards?

So, how to check SHA-2 ? The other KB-s I have set on 99%

I will check all next time I go to W7.

20 hours ago, PitKoz said:

We are still talking about win 7 and 225v net cards?

Yes, I mean the i225 network cards.

20 hours ago, PitKoz said:

So, how to check SHA-2 ? The other KB-s I have set on 99%

Download them from the Update Catalog site and try to install them, if they install, then they were not installed.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4474419

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4490628

5 hours ago, WinFX said:

Hello

Does anyone have a modded Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I219-V driver?

I need Ethernet connection on my Windows 8.1

I guess the procedure is the same download drivers from windows cat or intel and mod inf removing part of the lines and voila it is installing.

Here is how: