Windows 7 on the Intel Alder Lake/Z690 platform

Carlos S. M.

17 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

Hi OK came to such a stage that LAN are not responding for drivers, and trying to boot EFI but getting sound and sign that system is logged, but the screen stays with logo not fluctuating/static, can close system with power button it means that system is working behind the logo screen.

There is something about VGA and UEFI in context to Win 7, but can not find something clear enough to dare attempt to modifications.

CSM is working OK.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey so I tried installing Windows 7 on my Intel Core i7 12700 with Asus rog strix b660-a gaming wifi d4 as a motherboard that doesn't include PS2 port, I get stuck on "Select the driver to be installed." screen and I assume it has something to do with SATA since non of my drives are showing up. Fyi I used a custom-made iso pack where USB3.1 drivers are included in the iso. Does anyone know what I can do?

14 hours ago, artom said:

I assume it has something to do with SATA since non of my drives are showing up

The drive is SATA, not NVME? Check the mode of the disk controller, maybe there is a RAID mode enabled. Is the installation coming from USB? Then drivers for the USB controller must also be integrated in the WinPE installation system. If not, you may also see a message about installing drivers, but as far as I remember, it should say about the DVD drive.

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2022 at 3:14 AM, Alessa said:

I managed to install windows 7 x64 directly on my Asus z690 on ssd and on NVME M.2 simply with a Russian/eng iso from "AG" that has USB 3.0 and NVME drivers.

Then managed to install the old chipset V10 from Asus website like you did,

Then installed "SHA256_Signed_modified_intel_IO_USB3.1_driver_32_64bit" and some USB works now ! :D

i still have some more drivers to install but most Asus drivers downloaded from the Asus website do not start and says:

"Does not support this operating system: WNT_6.1P_64_MCE"

Can you maybe share some of your driver files for asus motherboards?

Can you reshare "SHA256_Signed_modified_intel_IO_USB3.1_driver_32_64bit" again?

• 1 month later...

Hi...don't know if I should start a new thread. I am on the next chipset generation up from Alder Lake, it's called Raptor Lake. Have a new B760M-A Asus mobo and I have managed to get W7 to the desktop although I can only get in using the Admin logon selection.

It seems stable. No USB, I am using a PS/2 keyboard. Any suggestions?

BTW...this is not a fresh install, it am modding the INF files as I go along and installing offline via DISM. Please don't suggest a fresh install, I have far too many old apps on the disk to consider that at this time.

6 hours ago, gordo999 said:

It seems stable. No USB, I am using a PS/2 keyboard. Any suggestions?

For USB3 try this driver, you should have the KB2864202 update installed on your system. https://mega.nz/file/GrACwJIY#Xmlc-iRGRd9ZnBZz7dOqDy0qxu_GKaOawfRVIPBEEFw

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB2864202

Edited by ED_Sln

On 11/10/2023 at 7:19 AM, ED_Sln said:

For USB3 try this driver, you should have the KB2864202 update installed on your system.

Ed...thank for driver but it did not work. May be related to KB2864202, which I don't have on Win7, but when I d/l the x64 version for W7, I get an error message that the update does not apply to my version. Makes no sense since it is marked as being for W7 - x64. Maybe there are other updates I need or maybe one has superseded it.

5 hours ago, gordo999 said:

thank for driver but it did not work

It seems that the update has been replaced by a cumulative update, although it is not written about it in the Catalog. Maybe the driver doesn't work on 7** chipset, I checked on 6** chipset, the driver works there. Then, if you can't reinstall the OS in any way, I can only suggest to buy a PCI-E USB3.0 card, but you need to check that there is a branded driver for Win7. Or make a backup copy of the system and reinstall it by updating, this will save the programs.

UPD. KB2864202 replaced by KB3125574.

Edited by ED_Sln
UPD

2 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

Maybe the driver doesn't work on 7** chipset....

Thanks for reply. I am looking at the W10 Device Manager for the same USB that is working on W10, The only drivers listed are usbxhci.sys and UsbXhciCompanion.dll. The hardware Id. is PCI\VEN8086&DEV_7A60&SUBSYS_88821043&REV_11.

In the alternate hardware ids, there is reference to CC_0C0330, which I think is the generic Id. In the INF file for W10, all they list is a Generic driver as PCI\CC_0C0330. It seems, then, for W7, that USB XHCI should run with a generic driver. The questions is, which one? I need to spend time checking that out. There may be other issues. The INF references PCI.sys and I have yet to set that stuff up.

I realize this is a lot more than simply swapping drivers between W10 and W7. There is work to do.

@gordo999

I make a try to install Win7 SP1 bit32 on the Asus B760M-A D4 via Rufus (USB).

Compi hangs at once at the place, where I can choose language etc.

Oh, suddenly I remember my fruitless tries to install Win7 bit32, Win8.1 bit32, Win10 bit32

on the z690 platforms.

Soon I try with a real Sata CD-ROM via DVD

Dietmar

PS: You see, XP SP3 is better:)..

6 hours ago, Dietmar said:

@gordo999

I make a try to install Win7 SP1 bit32 on the Asus B760M-A D4 via Rufus (USB).

Compi hangs at once at the place, where I can choose language etc. .....

PS: You see, XP SP3 is better:)..

Dietmar, I cannot argue with your point that XP SP3 is better. :P

I had a running W7 OS to work with and it had the USB 3 drivers from @canonkong. Those drivers no longer work on the B760. I managed to load some SATA drivers from an old Russian mod of W10 drivers and got W7 running well enough to reach the desktop. I had forgotten to add the hardware Ids for the SATA controller in the INF files. It actually runs fairly smoothly, although I need to use a PS/2 keyboard with no mouse. I am learning how to use the keyboard with 'mouse keys', a Windows feature that allows you to use the numeric keypads to position the mouse cursor.

For whatever reason, the B760 only has one PS/2 port and I am trying to find a way to combine the USB mouse and keyboard into one PS/2 port. Apparently it can be done but it depends on how Asus wired the PS/2 connector. PS/2 and the USB 2 standard are similar.

One thing to look for with W8 drivers on W7 or XP is their use of special files that begin with ext-ms-win- or api-ms-win-. They are small files used by the system for some reason. I found them referenced in depends and they are found in W8 in the setup.wim file. Microsoft may have not included them in the W10 setup.wim because they presumed W10 was an update to W8 and W8 already had them. Therefore, if you are using W10 drivers on W7 or XP,, and Depends marks them as missing,  you should check out W8 for these files and maybe copy them to the c:\windows\system32 directory.

On 11/11/2023 at 9:47 PM, ED_Sln said:

It seems that the update has been replaced by a cumulative update....

I found another issue on W10 that explains why the drivers may not have loaded correctly. Apparently, Windows Defender arbitrarily erases dll files it does not like. You have to disable that dumb feature. When I look at the folder in which I stored your files, several of them had a size of 0 bytes, especially the XHCI sys driver. I have tried installing since with the proper drivers and it still fails. However, a file with 0 bytes might explain the BSOD related to the NTFS error.

Also the .Net framework 1,1 referenced in the original post for the drivers seems to be dated. That is likely why my system would not load them.