Windows 7 on the Intel Alder Lake/Z690 platform

Carlos S. M.

On 6/19/2022 at 12:21 AM, Poseidon said:

Could someone share the ISO? I have an Aorus B660M + i5 12400 motherboard. I've tried everything, updating the ISO with the USB 3.x drivers, using these software that update the ISO image, I've tried at least 10 different ISOs and nothing. It always starts the installation, loads the data and does the installation. On the first boot it hangs on the STARTING screen and that's it. I had the same problem on another computer, with an Asus H510M + i5 11400F motherboard, but I managed to solve it with a specific ISO. I really need to use Windows 7 on this machine. Someone please.

PM me for testing image

• 3 weeks later...

On 12/7/2021 at 2:29 AM, Carlos S. M. said:

Hello, i've been recently messing with a Z690 motherboard and an Intel Alder Lake CPU

Managed to get Windows 7 installed, but it was tricky, decided to try an updated Windows 7 ISO with drivers (USB3, NVMe... etc) slipstreamed and tried out, found out Intel USB3 got updated enough that current driver infs lacked the IDs for the new chipsets and didn't recorgnize it, so i had to install using from another PC with modern Intel AHCI, then carry the drive over the system after the first stage of setup. I ended forcing one of the AMD USB3 drivers with success on the system.

Test machine specifications:
Intel Core i7 12700K
32 GB DDR4 3200
MSI Z690-A PRO DDR4 (Budget Z690 with decent VRM, DDR4 and PS2 port)
GTX 1060 3 GB
120 GB SSD (Kingston SSDNow V300)

What i could get working:

• SATA/AHCI
  • HDA Audio
  • Most chipset stuff
  • USB3 (After forcing AMD XHCI Driver), although there are issues

What didn't work:

• Onboard LAN (unsupported Intel controller)
  • IGP (that is expected though)
  • Few unknown devices

Untested:

• NVMe

Known issues:

• USB stops working after resuming from suspend (at least with AMDXHCI driver)
  • Single thread workloads may not allocatte in the right cores

USB3 setup, first attempt:

spacer.png

Setup after doing 1st stage setup and moving the SSD to the ADL system:

spacer.png

spacer.png

After finishing setup:

spacer.png

spacer.png

End results:
spacer.png

WEI score:

spacer.png

Can you share your ISO win7 setup that bro ?

• 2 months later...

Alder Lake works perfect on Windows 7, you need a processor with F (no integrated graphics), a dedicated graphics card (preferably 10 series and below), a ps2 mouse, and a dedicated wifi/ethernet card.

spacer.png

I am doing the test on an Asus B660-M A Prime. I think even Windows Vista SP2 is possible.

• 5 months later...

Simplix Update a clean win 7 install.wim. Copy into a win 10 ltsb sources folder. That will give you a boot.wim and install.wim with usb3 and nvme support. Then update drivers with sdio and nvcleaninstall(nvidia gpu driver).

• 5 weeks later...

Hello

Have anybody a modifiy Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-V driver ?

This mod Win7 runs very good on a Gigabyte z790 Tachyon,but i dont find a driver for the LAN Controller  I226-V

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 4:42 PM, mahaudi said:

Hello

Have anybody a modifiy Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-V driver ?

This mod Win7 runs very good on a Gigabyte z790 Tachyon,but i dont find a driver for the LAN Controller  I226-V

SDIO has the driver you need (and anything else, really)

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 11:45 AM, innamorato said:

SDIO has the driver you need (and anything else, really)

What is SDIO ? Sorry for plain question but really new there... and in need for 7-x64

drovers 1.JPG

drovers 2.JPG

On 5/22/2023 at 5:34 AM, ED_Sln said:

https://mega.nz/file/jzpDCCAI#yRlGRDO_YH_qJl0eKEJ1N2zsU6p3uwqs9CZe6jTq5Zg

And I also added the universal USB driver to the archive, it needs the KB2864202 update, and both drivers need the SHA-2 update, KB4490628 and KB4474419-v3.

Thanks a million, will come to win 7 soon, now on LTSC subject, it seems that we can not install LTSC 21H1 nor 20H1 nor earlier on new hardware PC without modding. In site upgrade is not working either.

IDK what is going about it, but it seems like all nerds involved in MS have sold their souls, work for Corpo and nothing is working as expected for users, but works for MS. Is 11 so tempting to have? I doubt.

On 5/22/2023 at 5:34 AM, ED_Sln said:

https://mega.nz/file/jzpDCCAI#yRlGRDO_YH_qJl0eKEJ1N2zsU6p3uwqs9CZe6jTq5Zg

And I also added the universal USB driver to the archive, it needs the KB2864202 update, and both drivers need the SHA-2 update, KB4490628 and KB4474419-v3.

Hi again, maybe... maybe... some more drivers missing from the list?

Will appreciate it very much

:)good treat is waiting :thumbup

obraz.thumb.png.1e074cdab6f24e90fd63881758bbe43c.png

8 hours ago, PitKoz said:

Hi again, maybe... maybe... some more drivers missing from the list?

It's hard to tell, write the IDs of non installed devices, maybe there will be drivers for them. Or write the name of the motherboard so I can find what controllers are there. For Nvidia USB there should be a stub that hides the exclamation point. And for another USB driver is not installed? There is a driver for USB Audio, it is for Realtek chip: https://mega.nz/file/m6IxzBgC#nbCguJ_LKOEFqW5xPcqxIplk2273cKBYLJhPaDEB1Ik

OMG you are so helpful and active in this forum, it is really exceptional!

53 minutes ago, ED_Sln said:

It's hard to tell, write the IDs of non installed devices, maybe there will be drivers for them. Or write the name of the motherboard so I can find what controllers are there. For Nvidia USB there should be a stub that hides the exclamation point. And for another USB driver is not installed?

--The board is Gigabyte Z590 Vision C rev 1 : https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590-VISION-D-rev-10#kf

Latest Bios is F8 a bit better than previous ones.

--Trying to start UEFI 7 in next stage.

--Now upgrading LTSC 10 21H2 ... some errors in distributed elements, the most important is CryptServ looking like destroyed.

"Faulting application name: svchost.exe_CryptSvc, version: 10.0.19041.1566, time stamp: 0x1f37eb46
Faulting module name: bcryptPrimitives.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1415, time stamp: 0xe9d3d417 (this version of DLL is not recognized in any search)
Exception code: 0xc0000006
Fault offset: 0x0000000000053dfc
Faulting process id: 0x3028
Faulting application start time: 0x01d98fd1653e2ab3
Faulting application path: Z:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: Z:\Windows\System32\bcryptPrimitives.dll
Report Id: f1a7d434-6d0f-4ed4-8cd6-dce4d5e16667
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:"

--PCI Simple Communication was kind of common case for Windows 7

Have to log in to win 7 to give you IDS, will do it in a few hours.

--What you think about, SDIO_x64_R753?

At some stage was trying to use it for updating drivers to LTSC and system was bricked.

Restored it from Macrium image.

It looks like it has some updates for Win7, but did not use it yet.

Will be back later.