Share your Microsoft Windows Vista Experience!

Win10-Hater

9 hours ago, Dixel said:

Well , I agree it makes sense for a laptop , but for a main PC ... why ? My Vista's boot time is 5-6 seconds on the gaming PC . What are the benefits in this case ? To make it 3-4 seconds ? Besides , 2.5tb isn't too much nowadays . I have my home video footage , clips from various trips and the such , which occupy more than 10TB. I think I'm a bit older than you , though ... so it had accumulated over the years. Also, I'm still not convinced in their ability to store information for a long time (without power) and their durability. I have 10 year old Raptors (under constant use) and they still going strong.

P.S. I'm not using Win7/8/10 , and Vista doesn't do any annoynig constant writing to my HDDs.

I haven't taken many home videos, most of what I have is memes, games, and old downloads, songs, data, etc. I have 7TB worth of HDDs, a 3TB HDD, which is a little over half full with games, and a 4TB HDD that is 4/5ths full with the other data I have. (I really should try to RAID 1 again) The 2TB SSD is mostly games, stuff to do with my custom ISOs, and a old libraries folder. The 512GB SSD is for my various Windows installs and their downloads, and such

6 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

Also, why non optimus? Won't it be useful sometimes?

XP/Vista doesn't support it, and it decreases performance

4 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

Will you use it for heavy gaming, photo and video editing (if you do it )?

Mainly gaming and web browsing, with a bit of video editing on the side. I went with a Quadro, as it's basically a better binned 980m, so chances are that it'd run cooler at a higher clock speed

Just now, asdf2345 said:

XP/Vista doesn't support it, and it decreases performance

Yes I see...

1 minute ago, asdf2345 said:

Mainly gaming and web browsing, with a bit of video editing on the side. I went with a Quadro, as it's basically a better binned 980m, so chances are that it'd run cooler at a higher clock speed

If the Quadro performs better overall while running cooler, that idea of replacing the gpu is awesome! I just wish modern laptops would also have a GPU replacement option and be upgradeable.

3 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

Yes I see...

If the Quadro performs better overall while running cooler, that idea of replacing the gpu is awesome! I just wish modern laptops would also have a GPU replacement option and be upgradeable.

Modern Clevo models have that, but they're more expensive, and anything Pascal and newer is expensive

I got my Dell latitude only for the following reasons:

It is upgradeable to upto 16 GB RAM and  i7 quad core variants ( Of course you can toss in an SSD) but I went with the stock i5 2520m and 8 GB RAM as that's enough for me. I use it for schoolwork, virtualisation, light photo and audio editing etc. and it does the job very fast! In addition, I needed a laptop with windows Vista support so I went for this.

Edited by TECHGEEK

5 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Modern Clevo models have that, but they're more expensive, and anything Pascal and newer is expensive

And that's what's annoying. Modern upgradable laptops are EXTREMELY EXPEN$IVE! They cost a fortune!

Edited by TECHGEEK

8 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

And that's what's annoying. Upgradable laptops are EXTREMELY EXPEN$IVE! They cost a fortune!

The 8770W is around $300, but you need an expensive eDP display to be able to go Pascal.

The Dell Precision M6700/M6800 work with Pascal, but only with a early engineering vBIOS, and only with Optimus if the display is LVDS.

The HP zBook G1/G2 work with Pascal, but only with Optimus and the fan control has issues.

I went with the 8770W, as I think I'd be able to get a eDP display later, and by then Pascal would probably be at Maxwell prices now, and @win32 might have fixed the drivers by then.

Edited by asdf2345

4 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

...I also wanted more than 16GB of RAM, a faster GPU, a non-Optimus laptop for use with XP and Vista, etc,

I have a laptop with the dreaded optimus and don't know how to disable it via bios edit.  The thing is , it has a fully supported (by Vista) Nvidia GPU and that "famous" dreaded Intel which has no drivers (Haswell). I had tried drivers for XP , but they BSOD , even with XP installed.

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

I have a laptop with the dreaded optimus and don't know how to disable it via bios edit.  The thing is , it has a fully supported (by Vista) Nvidia GPU and that "famous" dreaded Intel which has no drivers (Haswell). I had tried drivers for XP , but they BSOD , even with XP installed.

What laptop do you have?

4 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

What laptop do you have?

It's from 2013 or so . Acer Aspire E5-731-P3ZW (EU) - 17.3" - Nvidia 830m (V1), Intel Pentium 3556U , 8 GB DDR3L 1600Mhz (only in European model) , 1TB HDD . It's a rare EU version with Nvidia GPU , it's hard to find any info on that model . Almost all websites show that it doesn't have a discrete GPU , but mine has . 

I never used vista before, only in 2015. Everyone hated vista because of it was "unstable" and people use solitare crashing windows. But it happens only in VM's because vista doesnt like VM's. Some software and games stopped supporting vista, but extended kernel helps. Yes, some games cant run on vista, but hey, the vista support community works really hard to get newer versions of software to run on vista. Oh, also, here are my specs:

Intel i-5 520M

5GB Ram

Intel HD Graphics

240GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Windows Vista English 64-Bit

Vista runs very well on these specs!

Forgot to say, i use Dell Latitude E6410

image.png.66f43b658e8ceae91e1519c227719106.png

Edited by windowsvistadude512

On 11/14/2020 at 4:48 PM, Dixel said:

I had started using Vista in 2007, right at the very beginning, when it became available at stores. I bought a new PC, made by Siemens in Germany , with preinstalled Vista x86. Processor Core Quad q6600 , 4GB DDR2 RAM and it ran Vista so blazingly fast , of course I had supefetch disabled. Vista seemed nice overall, but the white background drove me nuts , my eyebals coudn't stand it and I went back to Windows 2000 for some time , then I returned (when dark themes became available). I never upgraded to any newer Windows and not going to. I tried Windows 7 , Windows 8 , they were slow and ugly (I'm sorry if someone don't like this, but that's my opinion) , besides all later Windows have terrible sound quality ! They look and sound cheap (again, to my own tastes as a customer).

8 I get but just curious - what is so different about the look of 7?

56 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

8 I get but just curious - what is so different about the look of 7?

IMHO, Windows 7 looked a bit less beautiful than Vista with its fat minimize, maximize and close buttons whereas Vista looked proper with smaller, thinner ones. Also, Win7 performed slower than Vista (or even 8.x) on exact same hardware and I'm sure many other Vista users on this forum have felt that way. But no denying that Win7 was one of the best versions of Windows.

4 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

But no denying that Win7 was one of the best versions of Windows.

Only because it was overrated after Vista's miserable launch , i would say 8.1 and Vista are the best and then 7.