List of software that doesn't support Windows 7

asdf2345

I just listed the final versions of Vivaldi, Ungoogled Chromium and Brave that are compatible with Windows 7:

https://old.reddit.com/r/windows7/comments/113sf82/final_version_of_vivaldi_browser_for_windows_7/

Basically, Chromium v109 is the last with support for Windows 7 and 8.1, v110 and higher are incompatible.

To mirror the information here:

Ungoogled Chromium final version for Windows 7:
Sourced from chromium.woolyss.com

Brave browser final version for Windows 7:

Boy, their GitHub releases are a @&%!! mess, and their announcement of Win7/8.1 deprecation doesn't even list the final versions for those operating systems, as has been polite practice for many years (see: all those websites that list "Final version for WinXP"). What an incompetent company. Why is Win7 such a pariah? M$ must have paid someone big bucks. 

Vivaldi browser final version for Win7
Support deprecation announcement

Edgium (Microsoft Edge Chromium) browser final version for Win7

Edgium Offline Installers are available here, but getting the exact final version for Win7 is difficult, as no-one has been keeping an archive. See here for the offline installer for Edgium-based Webview2

You'll also need a registry edit to remove an annoying "unsupported operating system" warning on Edgium and Google Chrome on the final supported versions (not needed for Ungoogled Chromium or Vivaldi)

Electron
Current version v22 still supports Win7. v23 (pre-release?) bumps Chromium to v110 (see this pull request and v23.1.0 release notes. According to this thread for VSCodium, around May 2023, Electron will stop accepting patches for v22 and will focus only on v23+, so everything built in Electron will slowly stop working on Win7 (just for an idea of timeframe, most Electron stuff still uses v19.x.x, e.g. Nativefier, VSCodium, etc.). As long as it uses Electron v22.x.x or under, it will still work.

TODO:

• node.js
  • Edgium
  • Edge Webview2
  • Google Chrome
  • Chromedriver/Selenium
Edited by Darth Agnon
Add info; fix links

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 4:38 PM, Darth Agnon said:

I just listed the final versions of Vivaldi, Ungoogled Chromium and Brave that are compatible with Windows 7:

https://old.reddit.com/r/windows7/comments/113sf82/final_version_of_vivaldi_browser_for_windows_7/

Basically, Chromium v109 is the last with support for Windows 7 and 8.1, v110 and higher are incompatible.

To mirror the information here:

Ungoogled Chromium final version for Windows 7:
Sourced from chromium.woolyss.com

Brave browser final version for Windows 7:

Boy, their GitHub releases are a @&%!! mess, and their announcement of Win7/8.1 deprecation doesn't even list the final versions for those operating systems, as has been polite practice for many years (see: all those websites that list "Final version for WinXP"). What an incompetent company. Why is Win7 such a pariah? M$ must have paid someone big bucks. 

Vivaldi browser final version for Win7
Support deprecation announcement

Edgium (Microsoft Edge Chromium) browser final version for Win7

Edgium Offline Installers are available here, but getting the exact final version for Win7 is difficult, as no-one has been keeping an archive. See here for the offline installer for Edgium-based Webview2

You'll also need a registry edit to remove an annoying "unsupported operating system" warning on Edgium and Google Chrome on the final supported versions (not needed for Ungoogled Chromium or Vivaldi)

Electron
Current version v22 still supports Win7. v23 (pre-release?) bumps Chromium to v110 (see this pull request and v23.1.0 release notes. According to this thread for VSCodium, around May 2023, Electron will stop accepting patches for v22 and will focus only on v23+, so everything built in Electron will slowly stop working on Win7 (just for an idea of timeframe, most Electron stuff still uses v19.x.x, e.g. Nativefier, VSCodium, etc.). As long as it uses Electron v22.x.x or under, it will still work.

TODO:

• node.js
  • Edgium
  • Edge Webview2
  • Google Chrome
  • Chromedriver/Selenium

chromium 110 or chrome 110 can work on 7, one user modded successfully and it works with sandbox mode

Edited by adi2137px

I reviewed the entire thread without noticing any mention of antivirus software. A separate thread might be warranted whenever Microsoft stops providing definitions for Security Essentials. (I presume that many are still using MSE.) Meanwhile:

Avira officially ended support for Windows 7 and 8.1 on December 31, 2021, yet still has a Windows 7 download page that would presumably give you a legacy version.

Bitdefender says they will continue support until January 14, 2024.

Emsisoft no longer supports new installations on Windows 7 or 8.1.

ESET ended support for Windows 7 and 8.1 after Version 16.0 (a little surprising since ESET supported Vista longer than most non-Chinese AV vendors).

McAfee ended support for Windows 7 and 8.0 May 4, 2021, but still supports 8.1 AFAIK.

Sophos sells Extended Support licenses for Windows 7 and 2008 R2.

On 2/27/2023 at 5:54 AM, adi2137px said:

New spotify doesn't support 7 anymore, app shows now EOL warning everytime you open app

It will work for few next years already as it works still on xp, but spotify we can tell is dead on 7 nowadays

tried to intally manually the new 1.2.6?

2 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

How did you get the installer to work?

I extracted the Spotify folder from Windows 10 and copied it to my 8.1 machine. Just launched the Spotify.exe and it worked

7 minutes ago, yoltboy01 said:

I extracted the Spotify folder from Windows 10 and copied it to my 8.1 machine. Just launched the Spotify.exe and it worked

Oh man, I didn't think of this method. Thanks, I'll go test it.

17 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Oh man, I didn't think of this method. Thanks, I'll go test it.

That‘s what I usually do when you cannot extract the Files properly. 

Other topic: I use a notes app for college, which is called „Anki“, however they dropped support for 7/8.1 in October 2021. The last version to support them was 2.1.49 - starting with 2.1.50 it requires Windows 10 and is based on QT5/6. I‘m wondering if anyone knows how to backport it since QT5 is supported by 7/8.1. I get errors because it says it can’t load/find the Dark Mode libraries found in 10+ other than that the App starts but crashes immediately 

On 3/4/2023 at 7:18 PM, yoltboy01 said:

I‘m wondering if anyone knows how to backport it since QT5 is supported by 7/8.1.

Actually in this Qt forum thread, some people provided some Windows 7-compatible Qt6 DLLs. With these DLLs you can run some Qt6 application like OBS v28.x (v29 also requires a modification to OBS.dll to change IsWow64Process2 to IsWow64Process). So if your application is based on a version of Qt6 that have custom DLLs (6.2.2, 6.3.0, 6.3.1, 6.4.2 or 6.5.1), just try them. If not, as Qt is open source, maybe you can retrieve the source for the specific version your app uses and modify them create DLLs that works on W7.

Edited by AstragonQC
Updated with inclusion of link to Qt 6.5.1 modified binaries