Read GPT hard disk on Windows XP

Cixert

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Just to add insult to injury, my Windows XP is now unactivated because I changed the hardware!
I've put everything back as it was before, and it's still unactivated.

Activation over the internet no longer works of course!
:no:
Oh dear.

You can still activate Windows XP by phone. I heard that it still works.

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Enter the BIOS, Switch off "Attempt to fix sporadic PCI errors" , or whatever they call it in your BIOS. It helped me when my sound card was conflicting with my LAN card. It too hanged up on the BIOS title screen.

Thanks, but there's nothing even resembling that setting in my BIOS.
I have a server motherboard, so maybe they don't have such options there as they are more critical of correct configuration and resource usage and sharing.
:dubbio:

4 hours ago, TSNH said:

I believe LegacyUpdate has an option to activate XP with a legit product key

https://legacyupdate.net/

https://legacyupdate.net/faq/security

18 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

You can still activate Windows XP by phone. I heard that it still works.

Thanks both, but I've now put the machine pretty much back as it was before, and restored a copy of the registry from before this happened.
It still said it was unactivated, but when I tried a manual online activation again, this time it worked! :thumbup
Having had to go through the tedious business of reactivating Office on the phone when I changed my motherboard, I was very grateful not to have to go through that again!
:D

OK, I think I'm happy with the configuration that I've now got.
Sadly it doesn't include the Syba board, which has turned out to be rather a waste of money, but I will stick it in the loft for possible future use!
If it can't coexist with the Asmedia board, then it's no use. I did try it along with the original PCI-E Silicon Image board, and that worked fine, but that's no good of course.
What the problem is I can only guess at, it looks like some sort of resource conflict in the BIOS, but as the cards are on different buses, and moving the Syba card around to different slots made no difference, it's a bit puzzling. I can't move the Asmedia card, as it's in the only slot it can use.

Anyway!
I now have the original Silicon Image card back in, the Blu-ray drive is now connected directly to the motherboard, which is better for recovery operations anyway, and the eSATA card has the fixed archive drive and the removable internal caddy drive connected to it.
The Asmedia card now only has the backup drive external enclosure connected to it.

I will carry on using it in that configuration and see how it goes.
Obsessively running chkdsk all the time might be not the thing to do.
I will carry on using it as it is, and not worry unless and until I find I'm getting errors reported when backing up, or chkdsk starts running automatically because there are errors.

Sorry this has been so long-winded, and drifted off-topic, and thanks everyone, especially @Andalu and @jaclaz for all the help, much appreciated!
:yes:

I will come back if (when) I start getting problems!
Cheers, Dave.
:)

@Andalu @jaclaz

Back again!

I'm still getting this annoying pop-up whenever I mount one of the eSATA connected disks.

Clipboard-2.jpg.a046f9094709a4529ab137824a1d7471.jpg

I thought I had managed to get rid of it, but sadly not.
I assume it's coming up because the disk.sys file was changed to the Server 2003 version, which the system thinks isn't compatible with XP.
If I go ahead and install the driver it asks if I want to overwrite the newer disk.sys file, and I thought that if I said 'no' that would be it, but it's obviously not being remembered as I'm having to do it every time I mount the disk, and this is happening with both the disk connected to the Asmedia card and the one connected to the Silicon Image card.

If the disks are already powered up and connected at boot time, it's fine, I don't see the pop-up, it only happens if I 'add' them while XP is running.

Is there any way of stopping this happening?

What happens if you sign the driver with my solution?

System level signing is, like explained in this topic...

Install the driver. Sign before reboot!

"permanently bypass driver signature verification"

https://msfn.org/board/topic/185975-got-vista-to-run-on-nvme-with-one-of-george-kings-drivers-but-its-unsigned-any-way-to-permanently-bypass-driver-signature-verification-at-boot/

Thanks, but does the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider work on XP?
All the documentation says Vista minimum.
Is it actually a signature problem anyway?
XP is just saying that the Server 2003 disk.sys file can't be verified to work with XP.
Drivers which are just unsigned are not normally a problem, you can override that, and it's remembered, this isn't being remembered.

On 3/1/2024 at 6:20 PM, jaclaz said:

@Dave-H

There should be an option to disable that message, if you are running XP Professional you can use GPEDIT:
https://techjourney.net/disable-unsigned-driver-installation-dialog-prompt-in-windows-xp/

jaclaz

From "OS:" section, which is under Dave-H's profile, and in his signature, yes, he runs XP Professional.

Also, why use gpedit, when the easiest way to disable that message (at least, in my opinion) is from System Properties? 

Edited by mina7601
signature

Thanks both. Yes, that System Properties option is actually mentioned in the article that @jaclaz linked to.

I tried using it, made absolutely no difference.

I couldn't find the GPEDIT option mentioned in the article, it doesn't seem to exist on my system.
The nearest I found was this -

Clipboard-3.thumb.jpg.f5123f4b0223e20ce4ff4b6b9616c5f8.jpg

It also made absolutely no difference, the wretched warning message still pops up!

I guess it's because there are actually 'alien' files on the system transplanted from a different OS.

When prompted whether I want to overwrite the 'alien' disk.sys file or not, the file it's offering to replace it with is a temporary file in the system32/drivers folder.
This has a temporary name, and presumably it's renamed to disk.sys when it's copied.
Where is the system getting this file from?
Presumably there's some hidden system files database somewhere.
If I can change the file there to the Server 2003 one, would that stop the replacement offer?

9 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Yes, that System Properties option is actually mentioned in the article that @jaclaz linked to.

I am aware.

8 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Where is the system getting this file from?
Presumably there's some hidden system files database somewhere.

You can find its location with the tool Everything. It is a very great tool, and it runs on Windows XP up to Windows 11.

Edited by mina7601

@Dave-H

My XP system is in italian, so I cannot make a direct comparison, but the italian version of that thing is there allright in the corresponding path to:

User Configuration

Administrative Templates

System

The one you found is in a completely different path.

jaclaz

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

As you can see, that option is not there on my system.

As I cannot see, as in the screenshot you selected just the "root" aka "Local computer policy".

Open "User Configuration", then:

Administrative Templates

System

Not that it will surely work, but it should be there.

jaclaz

'User Configuration' and 'Administrative Templates' are expanded on the screen grab I sent.
The only options under 'Administrative Templates' are 'Windows Components' and 'Google'
The 'System' option isn't under 'Windows Components' either.

Well, you are missing a large number of settings then (not only the Administrative templates/System).

Check that you have all the .adm files in the right directories, this experiment to add gpedit to Home edition - as a side effect - provides all the needed info:

https://www.oocities.org/kilian0072002/GPEditHome.htm

This is more or less how it should look
turn+off+autoply+gpedit.jpg