Got Vista to run on NVMe with one of George King's drivers, but it's unsigned. Any way to permanently bypass driver signature verification at boot?

66cats

More accurately, it's signed, but the sig can't be verified, so i need to F8 each time i boot. Looking for a way to permanently disable driver signature verification, or somehow add add George King's (public key? authority? cert? the thing that would make that signature valid). Have tried thus far:

bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on

bcdedit /set testsigning on

bcdedit /set ddisable_integrity_checks

No luck. Not a coder, know nothing about driver signing, so nothing's 'too obvious.' Thanks.

3 hours ago, 66cats said:

Looking for a way to permanently disable driver signature verification, or somehow add add George King's (public key? authority? cert?

Of course, there's a signing tool, it's named and explained at my nVidia tutorials. It will issue a system trusted cert.

29 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Of course, there's a signing tool, it's named and explained at my nVidia tutorials. It will issue a system trusted cert.

Thanks, found your tutorial, found Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider, will try in a few. Thanks again.

EDIT: So simple! Thanks for the tip.

Edited by 66cats

Thanks, found your tutorial, found Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider, will try in a few. Thanks again.

You're welcome, don't forget to run as admin. Restore point, just in case.

After 3 reboots (had to sign 3 files), everything works as it should. Thanks again, great tool.

Yep, it never failed me, repeat the procedure in about 10 years (it's how long the cert is usually valid).

@66cats Does this driver actually work for you outside of vmware? If so which one is it exactly?

EDIT

Got that from a Reddit post, I assume it was you posting there :)

Edited by TSNH

54 minutes ago, TSNH said:

@66cats Does this driver actually work for you outside of vmware? If so which one is it exactly?

EDIT

Got that from a Reddit post, I assume it was you posting there :)

And are you going to share a link to the actual driver or at least to the specific Reddit post ?

jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

And are you going to share a link to the actual driver or at least to the specific Reddit post ?

I am not completely sure if a link to the modded drivers would be allowed by the forum rules, but I guess the Reddit thread should be fine.

https://old.reddit.com/r/WindowsVista/comments/19e1bxn/finally_got_vista_to_run_on_nvme_look_on_my_works/?rdt=36369

2 hours ago, TSNH said:

I assume it was you posting there :)

Guilty.

2 hours ago, TSNH said:

Does this driver actually work for you outside of vmware?

That's a HW install (x99 board). Plagued with the typical 4th - 13th gen Vista boot issues (black scree ~1 out of 3 times), but once it is up, everything's fine, been using it without issues.