[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

OK, I tried both modified versions, and they both now run without any error messages.
:yes:
However, they are still not running then the system starts, I have to run them manually.
I've tried putting an entry in the registry "run" key to run them at start, and that works, but hasn't made any difference to the saving of the settings.
:no:
One other thing I've noticed since the service was enabled is that the icon does not now appear in the system tray until I use the touchpad, and which point it immediately appears. I have no idea whether that is significant or not!

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

You need to compare the Registry in the Windows 8.1 (where now everything works as it should) with the Registry in XP.

It is entirely possible that the key is in installing through the Setup.exe (as opposed to the simpler .inf install).

As well it is possible that - when run through the *whatever* autostart mechanism the "normal" ETDCtrlHelper.exe does not throw that error, notwithstanding the dependencies.

jaclaz

Ok, on second thought, it seems like the Setup.exe in tp118w7.exe is XP compatible :).

Create a new \Frankendriver\X86 directory and populate it with the files from either Z11503-cab or tp118w7 according to the attachment (Frankendriver_setup.xls).

Then try running (in XP) the Setup.exe \Frankendriver\X86

If it works, it works.

If you still have the issue with ETDCtrlHelper.exe (and only in this case) replace the ETDCtrlHelper.exe with the modified one coming from ETDCtrlHelper_mod_2.zip.

If the Setup.exe checks the driver signing (which is invalid), we are stuck.

BUT we have still another possibility, in the tp118w7 there are TWO Setup.exe

one is in the driver folder \tp118w7\{app}\Elantech\11.4.14.1\X86\ :

Setup.exe 05/03/2013 Version 11.0.0.4

whilst the other one is one level above, in \tp118w7\{app}\Elantech\11.4.14.1\ :

Setup.exe 14/06/2012 Version 11.0.0.1

which - most probably - should use the setup.ini and the files in \X86

So you could also try to have ALL the files from Z11503-cab in a directory, let's say \mytest\X86, then copy to \mytest\ the Setup.exe from \tp118w7\{app}\Elantech\11.4.14.1\ and run it (the Setup.exe outside the \X86\directory cannot be part of the driver signing).

If it installs (wit the same stupid errors as with the .inf install of Z11503-cab, due to the "too high" versions of the files), then you can replace them with the needed ones from  tp118w7 as you already did with the current .inf install that partially works.

jaclaz

Frankendriver_setup.xls

OK, was just going to report that I couldn't immediately see any fundamental difference between the registry entries on 8.1 and XP.
They are attached if you want to have a look.
Certainly just replacing the XP ones with the 8.1 ones does not make the settings saving issue come good!

I will try later on what you now say to do.
:yes:
HKCUElantech81.reg
HKCUElantechXP.reg

Well that is HKCU only? :w00t:

If there are differences connected to the starting of something they are more likely to be in HKLM.

And then (if you include HKLM) you have probably CurrentControlSet "misaligned", the data you provided earlier pointed to having in 8.1 CurrentControlSet corresponding to ControlSet002 (while normally it is ControlSet001).

Anyway, let's first see if the crazy Frankendriver Setup.exe attempt leads us forward, otherwise we need to find a way to do a "proper" Registry comparison (there must be a way to get all the info without having MBs in size of unneded other data :dubbio:).

jaclaz

Yes, I was surprised to find no Elantech entry under HKLM\Software on either operating system!
I'm sure there was one with some of the other drivers.
I think the things it contained (such as the install source path) are now in fact at the top of the HKCU key.
:dubbio:

So, ETDCtrlHelper.exe won't run when you start it, but runs fine if it is auto-started?

Run Process Explorer as administrator, double-click on the auto-started ETDCtrlHelper.exe and post a screenshot of the Image tab.

35 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Yes, I was surprised to find no Elantech entry under HKLM\Software on either operating system!
I'm sure there was one with some of the other drivers.
I think the things it contained (such as the install source path) are now in fact at the top of the HKCU key.

Not necessarily is "Elantech".

As an example we have seen that ETDService.exe -install creates a key in 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ETDService

For all we know the Setup.exe may create any number of such keys, without Elantech in the name/path.

And the .inf contains several HKLM entries, I could understand if - for whatever reason - some are not there in XP, but they should be there in 8.1. 

Say (a couple for all):

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\DeviceInformation",Port0_MasterDeviceType,%REG_DWORD%,0

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\GroupOption\GroupMap\IC1059Series_UID_2D",SeriesType,%REG_SZ%,"5"

which should expand to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\...

Which in itself may actualy be (offline) either of:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Elantech\...

or:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Elantech\...

jaclaz

9 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

So, ETDCtrlHelper.exe won't run when you start it, but runs fine if it is auto-started?

Run Process Explorer as administrator, double-click on the auto-started ETDCtrlHelper.exe and post a screenshot of the Image tab.

We don't know yet, as the ETDCtrlHelper.exe won't  autostart in XP.

I only guessed that - since the same calls to Vista+ user32.dll version are present in very old versions of the driver actually "named" to be for XP -  this could be the case, at least for the call to "ChangeWindowMessageFilter".

jaclaz 

Edited by jaclaz

3 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

which should expand to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\...

Which in itself may actualy be (offline) either of:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Elantech\...

or:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Elantech\...

Check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select\Current , it says which one :P

2 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

Check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select\Current , it says which one :P

Really? Never knew about that. :whistle:

Come on :), the issue is that it depends on how exactly the Registries are compared/snapshot/copied/etc. and by which specific software the comparison is made.

jaclaz

15 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

The other way around, ETDCtrlHelper does not auto-run from the driver, but Jaclaz's modified versions will run manually without throwing errors, or of course they can be run at boot from the registry "run" key where ETDCtrl.exe is started from. They don't start with the driver though.

Just now, Dave-H said:

The other way around, ETDCtrlHelper does not auto-run from the driver, but Jaclaz's modified versions will run manually without throwing errors, or of course they can be run at boot from the registry "run" key where ETDCtrl.exe is started from. They don't start with the driver though.

No, it is not "the other way around".

The ETDCtrlHelper.exe DOES NOT autostart (with the driver or with the ETDCrtl.exe) at boot. <- this is the actual issue

IF run manually throws an error.

Adding a "run" key in the Registry it should start BUT the unmodified one should also throw an error, exactly like when run manually.

The attempt to make it not error out when run manually was to exclude that it actually *somehow* started AND failed immediately and silently, this is seemingly not the case.

jaclaz

1 minute ago, jaclaz said:

No, it is not "the other way around".

The ETDCtrlHelper.exe DOES NOT autostart (with the driver or with the ETDCrtl.exe) at boot. <- this is the actual issue

IF run manually throws an error.

Adding a "run" key in the Registry it should start BUT the unmodified one should also throw an error, exactly like when run manually.

The attempt to make it not error out when run manually was to exclude that it actually *somehow* started AND failed immediately and silently, this is seemingly not the case.

jaclaz

That's what I said wasn't it?

Just now, Dave-H said:

That's what I said wasn't it?

No, it is not.

The "other way around" referred to:

29 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

is:

"ETDCtrlHelper.exe runs fine when you start it but won't run if it is auto-started."

and your expanded explanation 

14 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

ETDCtrlHelper does not auto-run from the driver, but Jaclaz's modified versions will run manually without throwing errors, or of course they can be run at boot from the registry "run" key where ETDCtrl.exe is started from. They don't start with the driver though.

is confusing (to me at least).

jaclaz