[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

I suspect we got confused as to what "auto-started" actually meant in this case! :D
Anyway, not worth arguing about (says the guy who started the argument!) :unsure:

I will try out the latest "Frankendriver" and report back, but it won't be for a few hours I'm afraid.
Cheers, Dave.
:)

I have assumed that it's the setup.exe from 11.4.14.1 (tp118w7.exe) that needs to be copied to the "Frankendriver" folder.
I don't think that the spreadsheet says which one to copy.
Using that one (11.0.0.4) it appears to do nothing, it runs and then immediately closes.
Should it be the one from the top level of the extracted tp118w7.exe?
:dubbio:

7 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I have assumed that it's the setup.exe from 11.4.14.1 (tp118w7.exe) that needs to be copied to the "Frankendriver" folder.
I don't think that the spreadsheet says which one to copy.
Using that one (11.0.0.4) it appears to do nothing, it runs and then immediately closes.
Should it be the one from the top level of the extracted tp118w7.exe?

Yep :), the first test is with the setup.exe from the \x86\ folder of tp118w7 copied to the \Frankendriver\x86\ folder.

There are two setup.exe's.

One is in \tp118w7\{app}\Elantech\11.4.14.1\X86\

And the second is one level above in \tp118w7\{app}\Elantech\11.4.14.1\

Now the issue is whether *any* Setup.exe checks the driver signing/catalogue.

From what you report this is the case :( the Setup.exe starts, checks the signature (as the .sys and .cat are from Z115203-cab BUT the .inf is from tp118w7), and exits doing nothing.

Copying to the \Frankendriver\ folder (one level above) the second setup.exe (from \tp118w7\{app}\Elantech\11.4.14.1) and running it will most probably do the same :(.

(but it is worth trying).

Then there are the other tests.

IF the Setup.exe and/or the other files in the \x86\ folder are part of the signature this won't work (but it is still worth an attempt):
1) keep in \Frankendriver\x86\ the Setup.exe from \tp118w7\{app}\Elantech\11.4.14.1\X86
2) replace the ETD.sys in \Frankendriver\x86\ with the one from Z115203-cab\x86\
3) try running the \Frankendriver\x86\setup.exe

If the setup runs :dubbio: the result should be an installed (but not working) driver which should start working once you replace the ETD.sys with the one from \tp118w7\{app}\Elantech\11.4.14.1\X86.

Otherwise, next test, copy ALL files from Z115203-cab\x86\ to the \Frankendriver\x86\.

Now the Frankendriver is (or should be) an exact copy of the Z-115203\x86\ folder, thus any signing should be valid.

Now copy to one level above, to \Frankendriver\ the Setup.exe from one level above in \tp118w7, i.e. \tp118w7\{app}\Elantech\11.4.14.1\Setup.exe and try running it.

It should have no issues with the driver signing, BUT if it somehow it calls the Setup.exe inside (the \Frankendriver\x86\setup.exe which is from Z115203-cab and "6.0") it will fail as well.

Last attempt is then to try replacing the \Frankendriver\x86\setup.exe with the \tp118w7\{app}\Elantech\11.4.14.1\X86\Setup.exe and try again running  both the \Frankendriver\x86\setup.exe and the \Frankendriver\setup.exe.

If either of the two actually run and install, you should be in the same situation as in 8.1, a driver correctly installed but not working (and unlike 8.1 also throwing some errors as files are "6.0" ) and you have to replace manually the files with those from \tp118w7\{app}\Elantech\11.4.14.1\X86.

If any of these don't work, we need to find a way to "testsign" the driver, something that I have no real idea on how to do exactly.

Or we are back to square one, trace what the Z115203-cab Setup.exe actually does on 8.1 and replicate manually the SAME changes in XP.

Since we have now determined that (in 8.1) there is a notable difference between:
1) installing the Z115203-cab driver via its Setup.exe

and:

2) installing the Z115203-cab driver via Device Manager/Have disk (through the .inf and bypassing the Setup.exe)

jaclaz

OK, I've tried all those options, and the setup fails to run in any of the setups I'm afraid.
Monitoring the Windows Task Manager, it does look as if the "top level" setup.exe simply runs the one in the x86 folder, presumably after determining that it's a 32 bit system.
:(

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

OK, I've tried all those options, and the setup fails to run in any of the setups I'm afraid.
Monitoring the Windows Task Manager, it does look as if the "top level" setup.exe simply runs the one in the x86 folder, presumably after determining that it's a 32 bit system.

Yet another (very likely to fail) attempt.

Make the \Frankendriver\x86\ a copy of the \115203-cab\x86\.

Add to it the Setup.exe from \tp118w7\{app}\Elantech\11.4.14.1\X86\ but renamed to Setip.exe (so that in the folder there are both the original Setup.exe and the Setip.exe), then run this Setip.exe. :dubbio:

If also this fails, the ONLY remaining avenue is a complete trace of the install on 8.1 of Z115203-cab:

1) via the Device Manager/Have disk 

2) via the Setup.exe

and the differences between them (of course starting from a "cleaned" system/registry).

Since we have already seen that the first will result in a non-saving-settings driver, there should be no need to clean/revert the system before running the second, as a matter of fact the key differences should be exactly those that happen when the 2nd is run)

At this point you need to run either Procmon (which as you might know is rather "verbose" if *filters* are not applied, but the moment we apply any filter we risk to miss something vital) or try some other "simpler" program.

In the past (but cannot really say if it suitable in your particular case) I had good results with this good ol' thingy here:

http://www.withopf.com/tools/trackwinstall/

http://www.withopf.com/tools/trackwinstall/trackwinstall-115.zip

Since it creates a sort of snapshot of both the Registry and of the filesystem (hashing files with MD5)  it will take some (a lot of) time :ph34r: (you'll need some patience), and of course it may not run at all in 8.1, I believe that the simpler (and faster) filesystem check based on file date/time modification is enough.

The doubt :unsure: might be if it is better to run it in 1 phase mode or in 2 phase mode (check the TrackWinstallE.hlp).

What I would try doing :
1) clean the 8.1 system from traces of previous installations
2) install the Z115203-cab via Device Manager/Have disk .inf
3) verify that the settings changes are "volatile", reboot, etc.
4) start the trackwininstall and have it snapshot the system (in 2 phase mode)
5) make sure (better be safe than sorry) that the %program files%\Elantech\ folder is included in the snapshot and set the tool to not use MD5 for files (in the Options)
6) start the trackwininstall and have it snapshot the system (in 2 phase mode)
7) wait until it asks you to save the snapshot
8) install the Z115203-cab via its Setup.exe
9) re-launch the trackwinistall
10) check the differences (copying and saving them for later review)

If the above does not work, you will need to repeat, cleaning between the two installs (and thus have two differences files to be compared between them)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

OK, so I have a complete copy of all the files from 11.5.20.3 in the Frankendriver\x86 folder.
I added to it the setup.exe file (11.0.0.4) from the 11.4.14.1 x86 folder, renamed to setip.exe.
When I ran setip.exe, the driver install worked.
That sounds good!
:yes::dubbio:

Good. :)

Now replace all the installed files in the \Elantech\ folder and the .sys with the ones from 11.4.14.1.

Do not add (for the moment) any .exe or .dll file that is not already in the \Elantech\ folder.

That should leave out:

ETDApi32.dll
ETDGesture.exe
ETDIntelligent.exe
Lenovo.exe
Lenovo_Win8.exe

And the Sensepoint.exe can be deleted.

jaclaz

OK, I've done that, and the driver is still working OK, and the settings are holding across reboots.
I'm getting the complaint from the hotkey program ElanTPCfg.exe again as before, but that obviously doesn't matter.
I didn't replace the avi files as they have different names.
What I have now in the Etantech folder is -

ETDAniConf.exe 11.0.0.7
ETDCtrl.exe 11.0.0.13
ETDCtrlHelper.exe 11.0.0.7
ETDDeviceInformation.exe 11.19.0.1
ETDService.exe 11.0.0.4
ETDUn_inst.exe 10.0.0.9
Setup.exe 11.0.0.4

ETD_DLL.dll 11.0.0.4
ETDApi.dll 10.0.0.9
ETDApix.dll 11.0.0.8
ETDCmds.dll 11.0.0.8
ETDFavorite.dll 11.0.0.7
ETDMcpl.dll 11.0.0.10
ETDUninst.dll 10.0.0.1

ETD.sys 11.0.0.31

12 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

OK, I've done that, and the driver is still working OK, and the settings are holding across reboots.
I'm getting the complaint from the hotkey program ElanTPCfg.exe again as before, but that obviously doesn't matter.

Do you have that on XP? :dubbio:

Or you did try this latest "Setip.exe" install on 8.1? :unsure:

The idea, starting from this post:

is to do the tests in XP, the mechanism about driver signing may be different in XP, so any of the various tests may work in XP (while it doesn't in 8.1),

jaclaz

9 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Oops, OK well at least we know it will work like that in 8.1!
I'll try again in XP now and let you know if it's the same.

Yep, and I am optimist about that :),  but you should re-try on XP ALL the various suggested methods, this last "Setip.exe"  is the last one because it is the one most complicated to replicate, if on XP we *somehow* get around the strict driver signing policy you encountered on these attempts (before the last "Setip.exe" one) it would be easier to provide a simpler, repeatable method (though even this last "Setip.exe" approach is repeatable, if it works on XP).

jaclaz

OK, I already tried the setip.exe method before your last post came through.
The installation was fine as it was on 8.1, but resulted in a non-working driver.
None of the three background programs were running, and there was an error in Device Manager.

Substituting the files from 11.4.14.1 produced a better result, but only ETDCtrl.exe is running.
The Device Manager error has gone away.
The Elan Service has not been installed, which it was on 8.1.

Should I roll back and try the earlier tests now?

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

Update.

Without holding out any hope, I changed the settings and rebooted, and the driver settings are being saved properly now on XP!
I actually rebooted three times because I couldn't quite believe it!

So the driver is in fact now working on XP as well as it will ever need to, and that's without ETDCtrlHelper.exe or ETDService.exe running!
:thumbup

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

Good :), actually VERY GOOD :thumbup.

It is entirely possible that the ETDCtrlHelper.exe is only needed in Vista+ (only philologically, a helper file should be something that is only needed on some installs, otherwise *whatever* it does could be added to the "main" ETDCtrl.exe) .

The ETDService.exe is "stranger" (that it is not needed under XP, I mean).

BUT, if you check very old Elantech drivers (like the Z70513) there is a ETDCtrlHelper.exe AND NOT an ETDService.exe. :dubbio:

So you can try deleting (better moving them to an "\Elantech\Unneeded\" folder) from the \Elantech\ folder:

ETDCtrlHelper.exe 11.0.0.7
ETDDeviceInformation.exe 11.19.0.1
ETDService.exe 11.0.0.4
ETDUn_inst.exe 10.0.0.9
Setup.exe 11.0.0.4

ETDUninst.dll 10.0.0.1

Then, you can try doing the same to (one at the time):

ETD_DLL.dll 11.0.0.4
ETDApi.dll 10.0.0.9
ETDApix.dll 11.0.0.8
ETDCmds.dll 11.0.0.8
ETDFavorite.dll 11.0.0.7
ETDMcpl.dll 11.0.0.10

until either the smartpad stops working or the settings are not changeable or become "volatile" again.

Should I roll back and try the earlier tests now?

Yes, but you will also need (since we have found two ways to have it working also on XP) to do the differencing between the two methods ".inf install" and "Setip.exe install" on XP (where trackwinistall surely works).

Edited by jaclaz