[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

41 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

FWIW, doing the final file substitution, replacing the ETD.sys file from 11.5.20.3 with the one from 11.2.2.1 produced a disabled touchpad.
I thought it was dead, but it only needed re-enabling in the Mouse Properties tab.

Interestingly, the system tray icon had returned, but it was now the Elan-style one, not the Asus-style one as it was before. It was still "dead" though.
Also the Elan tab had reappeared on the Mouse Properties.
That at least indicates (I think) that the versions of ETD.sys are either "Elan versions" or "Asus versions".
I would suggest that it's highly possible that the Asus versions work on 8.1, and the Elan versions don't, perhaps because of tailoring to the hardware.
I think maybe we need to identify what the very earliest "Asus" version of ETD.sys is, as I suspect that no "Elan" version will talk to the hardware properly, which is one of the reasons that we've been having so many problems. That will have the best chance of working on XP, and if it doesn't, we may be doomed to failure.
:dubbio:

Maybe, but that - as well as the control panel or the mouse properties tab - is (all in all) not much relevant.

As long as the driver is loaded and "pilots" the device and you can change the relevant settings (if needed  through direct Registry editing) I would say it would be enough.

Anyway, if I got this right, once you re-enabled the  touchpad it worked even with the "Medion" "11.2.2.1" ETD.sys driver, right?

Anyway I would still keep for the moment the ETD.sys (and .cat and .inf) from Z115203-cab as "base", if the ETDApix.dll and the other files in latest "5.1" version manage to "hook" that, we should be almost there.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

No, it's isn't actually working, in that I can't change any settings, either with the UI or by registry editing.
The touchpad is back in its default configuration.
When I only substituted ETDApix.dll with version 10.0.0.98 the settings were still "held", although I couldn't change them.
Substituting the other exe and dll files with the version 10 versions resulted it it reverting to as it is now.

I think that the Mouse Properties tab is somewhat significant in that none of the versions working on 8.1 have it, and none of the ones which do have it work.
Whether it's there or not seems to depend on the version of ETD.sys being used. The Elan drivers have it, the Asus versions don't.
This probably directly correlates with whether they have ETD0108 in the INF file or not.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

OK, I've now reinstalled the 11.5.20.3 driver, which is working fine.
Is the next step to replace all the exe and dll files with the ones from the Lenovo driver 11.4.38.2?

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

9 hours ago, Dave-H said:

OK, I've now reinstalled the 11.5.20.3 driver, which is working fine.
Is the next step to replace all the exe and dll files with the ones from the Lenovo driver 11.4.38.2?

Yep. :)

There may be some doubts about:

ETD_DLL.dll
ETD_Aniconf.exe
ETD_Api.dll

which are already (or still ;)) "5.1" in the Z115203, maybe you can try first replacing all the .exe's and .dll's BUT those three, and then, in a subsequent step, attempt replacing also those three.

jaclaz

OK, I replaced all the exe and dll files except ETD_DLL.dll, ETD_Aniconf.exe and ETD_Api.dll with the versions from the Lenovo driver (which actually appears to be version 11.4.36.1, not 11.4.38.2).

It still worked fine, even the Asus hotkey still worked.

I then replaced the three files I didn't replace the first time, and the driver still works fine, but the error message now comes up again from ElanTPCfg.exe, and the hotkey no longer works.
There must be something in one of those three files it doesn't like!

The versions i have running now are -

ETD_DLL.dll 11.10.0.0
ETDAniConf.exe 11.40.4.2
ETDApi.dll 11.5.0.0
ETDApix.dll 11.27.4.1
ETDCmds.dll 11.29.4.1
ETDCtrl.exe 11.41.4.3
ETDCtrlHelper.exe 11.15.0.0
ETDDeviceInformation.exe 11.143.0.0
ETDFavorite.dll 11.11.0.0
ETDMcpl.dll 11.18.0.0
ETDService.exe 11.8.0.0
ETDUn_inst.exe 11.4.0.0
ETDUninst.dll 11.1.0.0

I had a bit of a problem getting at the actual files for the Lenovo driver, as it's an exe, not a zip.
7-zip didn't help, but good old Universal Extractor did!
:)

42 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

OK, I replaced all the exe and dll files except ETD_DLL.dll, ETD_Aniconf.exe and ETD_Api.dll with the versions from the Lenovo driver (which actually appears to be version 11.4.36.1, not 11.4.38.2).

It still worked fine, even the Asus hotkey still worked.

I then replaced the three files I didn't replace the first time, and the driver still works fine, but the error message now comes up again from ElanTPCfg.exe, and the hotkey no longer works.
There must be something in one of those three files it doesn't like!

The versions i have running now are -

ETD_DLL.dll 11.10.0.0
ETDAniConf.exe 11.40.4.2
ETDApi.dll 11.5.0.0
ETDApix.dll 11.27.4.1
ETDCmds.dll 11.29.4.1
ETDCtrl.exe 11.41.4.3
ETDMcpl.dll 11.18.0.0
ETDService.exe 11.8.0.0
ETDUn_inst.exe 11.4.0.0
ETDUninst.dll 11.1.0.0

I had a bit of a problem getting at the actual files for the Lenovo driver, as it's an exe, not a zip.
7-zip didn't help, but good old Universal Extractor did!

Yep, sorry I didn't mention it :blushing:, those Lenovo drivers are InnoSetup installers and I also used good ol' Universal Extractor :thumbup.

It is entirely possible that the ElanTPcfg.exe and the hotkey hooking apps look for a given version (actually a function). and one of these three files (I doubt more than one) is not "seen" correctly or simply misses a function (if I had to place a bet, it would be on ETDApi.dll, with second choice ETD_DLL.dll ), from the name only it is more probable that ETDAniconf.exe serves no practical purposes (maybe it is the *whatever* that shows/updates the tray icon) .

Anyway this is marginal, you can still put back the original three files, or try putting them back one at the time to see which one creates the issue.

Before that, I would also try - only as an experiment - to replace also the actual "main" ETD.sys file.

And now you should be ready to try repeating the install and the replacement on the XP system (remember to keep your finger crossed while you do it).

Let see what happens :yes:.

jaclaz

NOTE:

The file:

https://support.lenovo.com/at/en/downloads/ds100549

39z502wf.exe

Should be version 11.4.36.1 (and for Windows 7)

DriverDate        = "02/11/2014"
DriverVersion        = "11.4.36.1"

The file:

https://support.lenovo.com/by/en/downloads/ds100220

31tp00ww.exe

Should be 11.4.38.2 (and for Windows 8.1)

DriverDate        = "02/18/2014"
DriverVersion        = "11.4.38.2"

Please note how this latter is described as "Windows 8.1 (64-bit)" and 23.87 MB in size, but the download will result in a 129 MB file that contains also the x86 one.

They are so near in dates/versions that probably it makes no difference anyway.

Edited by jaclaz

It was ETDApi.dll causing the hotkey problem ,as you said!
:yes:
I've gone back to version 11.1.0.0 and all is fine again.

I also replaced ETD.sys, and everything is still fine!
It's now version 11.122.4.7.

Time to just try the Lenovo driver on XP as it is?
You never know!

OK, I gave it a try, but no joy I'm afraid.
:no:
I had to install directly from Device Manager as the setup.exe isn't XP compatible.
It apparently installed as an "Elan PS/2 Port Smart-Pad", but it just produced "the driver is missing or corrupted" in Device Manager after reboot.
:(
The Elan tab in the Mouse properties is back but blank.
Only ETDCtrl.exe is running in Task Manager, not the Elan Service.
There is no system tray icon.

ETD.sys is the same version now on XP as it is on 8.1 (11.122.4.7) but it seems to be producing a different result.
For instance there is no Elan tab on the Mouse Properties in 8.1.
I think that initially installing 11.5.20.3, which is an Asus driver, and then replacing its files with Elan driver ones, has ended up with a different result to installing the same files as an Elan driver in the first place.
Do we need to somehow install 11.5.20.3 on XP and then change its files like on 8.1?

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

51 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I think that initially installing 11.5.20.3, which is an Asus driver, and then replacing its files with Elan driver ones, has ended up with a different result to installing the same files as an Elan driver in the first place
Do we need to somehow install 11.5.20.3 on XP and then change its files like on 8.1?

Yep, at the moment is the only way it can - maybe - work.

11.5.20.3 did *somehow* install on XP previously (but failed to run because of all the "6.0" files):

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181362-xp-driver-for-amd-hd8180-graphics-and-elan-ps2-touchpad/?do=findComment&comment=1181253

It should also install now "as is" (and fail to work) then - once the "6.0" files are replaced by the "5.1" versions - it should - hopefully - start to work.

Possibly a reboot/disable/enable/etc. may be needed, of course.

IF we get to have it working with "install+replace", then we will be able to attempt modifying the .inf (and hopefully be able also to install "directly"). 

jaclaz  

Edited by jaclaz

ONLY as a "draft" of next steps, should the thingy actually *somehow* work, the next step is using Examdiff:

https://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiff.asp

to compare (a copy of ) the .inf in Z115203-cab with (a copy of) the  one in 39z502wf.

You will see that there is a lot of work to:

1) remove from both *anything* that is NOT related to "ETD_STD_Inst" or to "ACPI\ETD0108"
2) remove from both *anything* that is currently (in the one or the other) REMmed by prepending a ; to the line
3) remove all the (IMHO) senseless gestures in section "[ETD_GestureAPHotKey.AddReg]"
4) understand (if possible) what (the heck) are the sections "; GroupMap_xxxx_UID_yy"
5) remove (from Z115203-cab) anything referencing NTx86.6.4 or beginning with "WIN10_" or however related to Windows 10
6) I would also remove all reated to "animations" and ".avi" files, but this is to be seen.

You will see that things will start to get better in sync, and hopefully we can understand what to change in the 39z502wf .inf, making it "installable" directly.

Besides the above I remain perplexed by the presence (in the Lenovo) of the "ETDCoInstaller.dll" (and relative entries in ETD.inf), I have seen that some of these drivers have this .dll, and some have it not, but I have yet to find a "logical" pattern or understand (actually making an educated guess) how it is useful and what it does.

jaclaz

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Besides the above I remain perplexed by the presence (in the Lenovo) of the "ETDCoInstaller.dll" (and relative entries in ETD.inf), I have seen that some of these drivers have this .dll, and some have it not, but I have yet to find a "logical" pattern or understand (actually making an educated guess) how it is useful and what it does.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/writing-a-co-installer

understand (if possible) what (the heck) are the sections "; GroupMap_xxxx_UID_yy"

I think these define the capabilities and/or default settings for each of the supported devices.

remove all the (IMHO) senseless gestures in section "[ETD_GestureAPHotKey.AddReg]"

Better keep the ones for core programs like Explorer for now.

Yep, at the moment is the only way it can - maybe - work.

11.5.20.3 did *somehow* install on XP previously (but failed to run because of all the "6.0" files):

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181362-xp-driver-for-amd-hd8180-graphics-and-elan-ps2-touchpad/?do=findComment&comment=1181253

It should also install now "as is" (and fail to work) then - once the "6.0" files are replaced by the "5.1" versions - it should - hopefully - start to work.

Possibly a reboot/disable/enable/etc. may be needed, of course.

IF we get to have it working with "install+replace", then we will be able to attempt modifying the .inf (and hopefully be able also to install "directly"). 

jaclaz  

OK, I replicated what was done on 8.1, the only difference being that 11.5.20.3 had to be installed via the INF in Device Manager, as the setup won't run on XP of course.

I substituted the files from the Elantech folder of the working driver on 8.1 into the equivalent folder on XP, and substituted ETD.sys as well.
So, it should now be a replica on XP of what's on 8.1.
It still doesn't work though, the touchpad is dead and Device Manager says the driver is missing or corrupted.
Only ETDCtrl.exe is running in the background, nothing else relevant.
If I run ETDCtrlHelper.exe, it says UnregisterPowerSettingNotification could not be found in USER32.DLL.
I seem to remember that daniel_k had a fix for that, a powrprof.dll to put in the Elantech folder.

The main thing missing seems to be the service, which is in the Services list on 8.1 as "Elan Service".
It's not there in XP, but that may be because the routine for installing a service in 8.1 is different to XP?
Just guessing here!
I exported the 8.1 registry settings for the service and imported them into the XP registry.
The service is now there, and is running. :yes:

I put the pwrprof.dll into the folder, but it hasn't got rid of the problem with ETDCtrlHelper.exe.
I think that needs to be running.
The Device Manager is still showing a yellow exclamation mark......
:(

It is possible that - for *some reasons* the driver *needs* to be installed with the Setup.exe (and can later only be "upgraded" via the .inf, and you can *try* replacing the Setup.exe and the ETDUn_inst.exe and ETDUninst.dll from "39z502wf", BUT keeping the Setup.ini from Z115203-cab ), but I doubt that it can work :dubbio:.

The ETDCtrlHelper.exe issue might be the actual "show stopper", but cannot really say. :unsure:

Unless RainyShadow and/or daniel_k come out with some new ideas, I guess that the only thing to do now is to trace completely the behaviour of the driver both under 8.1 and XP and compare results.

To avoid the huge clutter of a boot time complete trace, one could try to disable the device and trace when the device is re-enabled, but cannot say if that would be enough. 

@RainyShadow

Yep, but the driver/.inf that actually installs (Z115203-cab) has NOT any coinstaller, while the earlier driver we are testing has it :dubbio:, the only "pattern" I can see is a "queer" build date progression, i.e. older drivers have not any coinstaller, then they start having it, and then again the  Z115203-cab have it not anymore.

NOTE:

the "first" (back in time) driver of the Lenovo Series that also has NOT any coinstaller is seemingly the:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ro/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/g50-70-notebook-lenovo/downloads/ds100305

tp165w73264.exe

which is "officially" version 11.4.31.1, actual .sys version 11.122.4.2, intended for Windows 7, while later ones have the coinstaller.

@Dave-h

It would be worth the time to go back to 8.1 and try replacing the files with those coming from the above, if it works in 8.1, then it is a "better" candidate under XP. 

jaclaz

OK, done that, and the driver is still working fine, although the error message from ElanTPCfg.exe has come back of course.
It's now -

ETD_DLL.dll 11.10.0.0
ETDAniConf.exe 11.40.4.1
ETDApi.dll 11.5.0.0
ETDApix.dll 11.27.0.0
ETDCmds.dll 11.29.4.1
ETDCtrl.exe 11.41.4.1
ETDMcpl.dll 11.18.0.0
ETDService.exe 11.8.0.0
ETDUn_inst.exe 11.4.0.0
ETDUninst.dll 11.1.0.0
ETD.sys 11.122.4.2

Most of the files are the same versions as they were before.

Should I put ETDApi.dll 11.1.0.0 back to make the hotkey error go away?
It is an earlier version that still works.

There were two files in 11.4.31.1 which aren't there in the present installation, ETDIntelligent.exe, and ETDApi32.dll.
I guess they are irrelevant?