[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

Your modified INF (327KB) is actually bigger than the original (325KB) is that right?
:dubbio:
Anyway, installing through Device Manager with your INF sadly does not produce a working driver.
There is an icon in the system tray, an Elan style one, not an Asus style one, but it doesn't animate when the touchpad is used.
There is an Elan tab on the Mouse Properties again, but again it stows the device as a "Standard PS/2 Mouse" not a smart pad, and the options button is greyed out.
Right clicking on the icon has an "Asus Smart Detector" option which I've not seen before, and that brings up a control panel, but it has no options in it.
"ETD Control Center" and "ETD Control Center Helper" are both running, which is a good sign!
Device Manager says the mouse is now an "Elan PS/2 Port Smart-Pad".
:)

Yep.

Instead of deleting (supposedly) unneeded lines from the (working) Z115203-cab .inf I tried adding to the Z10054 the lines (coming from the Z115203-cab .inf) that should (maybe) needed to install on 8.1 and used the same double quotes style as Z115203-cab.

What is in Device Manager (Code 10, nothing, some other driver error code)?

We don't know if it didn't install because it didn't install or if it doesn't work because it doesn't work. :w00t:

Check the setupApiDev.log to see if there is any error, compare it with the successful install of Z115203-cab for reference.

Back to previous attempts, did you try:

1) install the Z115203-cab "as is" on XP
2) replace all installed files with the files from tp118w7.exe

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

The Device Manager is fine, it's saying the device is working properly.
It's the old problem that the device isn't being identified correctly by the tab in the Mouse Properties.
I'm pretty sure that as long as it's appearing just as a generic "Standard PS/2 Mouse", it will not work.
The installation log looks OK.

10.0.5.4Install.txt

I've just realised that 11.5.20.3 is showing as not signed on XP even with its original INF.
Is that what you would expect?

Anyway, I installed it using its normal INF file, and then copied all the files from 11.4.14.1 to the Elantech folder, and replaced the ETD.sys file with the 11.4.14.1 version as well.

And............ IT WORKS!

I now have a working driver in Windows XP!!

I cannot thank you enough Jaclaz!
:worship::worship:

Having worked with you so often here in the past, I cannot believe that this was just a speculative shot in the dark.
You must have known that this might work, and it has!
I am so happy!

:cheerleader:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

And............ IT WORKS!

I now have a working driver in Windows XP!!

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Congratulations to both of you @Dave-H and @jaclaz !!! You two deserve it!
However, since it was the product of long persitence and experimentation, I think it might be useful to create a summary post, describing the procedure that works, so othere can benefit of it without having to digest 27 pages of thread. Perhaps we can even split the thread and maybe I can even manage to make the summary 1st post. What d'y'all say? :unsure:

Good idea Den, but we're not quite out of the woods yet!

I've now discovered that although I can change the touchpad settings on XP, and they work, they are not being saved properly, because when I reboot they've reverted back to the defaults.

We are so close now though that I'm sure this can be resolved.

I will pick this up with Jaclaz tomorrow.

Cheers, Dave.

Good. :thumbup

For the record, it wasn't a real shot in the dark :no:, more like an "educated guess" ;) (but still a "wild" :w00t: one nonetheless).

I checked (actually doubting it from the begining) that each and every file in the 11.4.14.1 had no issues on XP with Dependency Walker.

I expected that the 11.4.14.1 was too "late" for working on XP, hence the attempts to go back further in time, but evidently - at least limited to the .sys and other "key" files of the driver - that driver is still "old generation enough" to work.

Still I have no logical explanation on why the .inf install in Windows 8.1 works (or actually fails to work) as it does, nor I have any deeper understanding on how the various files interact with each other.

I still believe that part of the files that are installed are unneeded and can be removed/deleted.

It is possible that now that we have a somehow working and "properly" installed driver we actually need to go back a few versions to have it also "properly" working.

And we also have to experiment on XP with a modified, simplified, .inf that allows "direct" install, now that we know that the actual driver works, we can forget about having it 8.1 install compatible and .inf on XP should be "easier".

Since the tp118w7 (11.4.14.1, .sys 11.0.0.31) is 05/03/2013, and its origin is Lenovo, next experiment is redoing the same, but using the files from Z11566 for the replacement, instead:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8/Touchpad/Touchpad_Elantech_Win7_8_32_VER11566.zip

Touchpad_Elantech_Win7_8_32_VER11566.zip

that has .sys 11.0.0.6 dated 03/01/2013.

and then down to Z11542 

http://ftp.tekwind.co.jp/pub/asustw/nb/DriversForWin8/Touchpad/Touchpad_Elantech_Win7_8_VER11542.zip

Touchpad_Elantech_Win7_8_VER11542.zip

that has .sys 10.0.0.202 dated 30/10/2012

so that (hopefully) we are back to "Asus originated" drivers.

You don't need to "re-install" with the Z115203-cab .inf file, you can try just replacing the files, first with the ones from Z11566 and then with the ones from Z11542.

Then we will see about Registry and "keeping" settings. 

jaclaz

And now, for NO apparent reason:

6939668.jpg

Edited by jaclaz

LOL, thanks Jaclaz!

As I said to dencorso late last night, the outstanding problem with the driver as it is now is that the settings are not actually being saved.
They can be changed, and the touchpad behaviour changes, which is an enormous advance on anything we've had on XP before, but when the system is rebooted the settings go back to the defaults.

ETDCtrl.exe is running fine, but instead of ETDCtrlHelper.exe, what is running with it is ETDIntelligent.exe, a program I've never seen running before!
If I try to run ETDCtrlHelper.exe, it throws the "UnregisterPowerSettingNotification" could not be found error.
ETDIntelligent.exe does not exist in 11.5.20.3, so I can't quite see how it's running, because it can't be mentioned in the INF!

I tried copying all the files from 11.5.6.6 across to the Elantech folder, and the driver worked as before.
I then tried also copying ETD.sys (version 11.0.0.6) across to system32\drivers and the driver no longer worked.
Still no error in Device Manger, but the system tray icon was now "dead".
The same two programs are running in the background.
I'll download and try with 11.5.4.2 next.

Edited by Dave-H
Amendment

Yep, and the fun thing is that ETDCtrlHelper.dll is exactly the same size 1.644.944 bytes, which definitely means that they are two builds/compiles of essentially the same source even a binary compare shows how they are very similar, and both ( I missed it in Dependency Walker) have an unresolved dependency "UnregisterPowerSettingNotification", but very likely this only is an issue when you try to run the file directly.

I doubt that the 11.5.4.2 will behave "better" than 11.5.6.6, but as we are proving little by little, you never know until you try, and actually the files in Z11542 seem more similar to those in tp118w7.

The ETDIntelligent.exe is only in tp118w7, so you must have copied it accidentally when replacing files.

When you are back to a working setup, you should try deleting it.

As well you should try deleting (one by one) the following:

ETDAniConf.exe
ETDApi32.dll
ETDMcpl.dll
ETD_DLL.dll

and see what happens.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

11.5.4.2 did produce the same result.
I've now restored it to the semi-working version, with the files and ETD.sys from 11.4.14.1.

This is what I now have -

ETDAniConf.exe 11.0.0.7
ETDCtrl.exe 11.0.0.1 (running)
ETDCtrlHelper.exe 10.0.0.83 (not running)
ETDDeviceInformation.exe 11.1.0.1
ETDIntelligent.exe 11.0.0.6 (running)
ETDService.exe 10.0.0.4 (not running)
ETDUn_inst.exe 10.0.0.9

ETD_DLL.dll 10.0.0.4
ETDApi.dll 10.0.0.9
ETDApi32.dll 10.0.0.5
ETDApix.dll 10.0.0.111
ETDCmds.dll 10.0.0.96
ETDFavorite.dll 10.0.0.82
ETDMcpl.dll 10.0.0.80
ETDUninst.dll 10.0.0.1

ETD.sys 11.0.0.31

Good to see it so near to working with all version 10 dlls!

There are other exe files in the folder, but they are mostly control panels.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

Stop 

ETDCtrl.exe 11.0.0.1

ETDCtrlHelper.exe 10.0.0.83

replace them with 
ETDCtrl.exe 11.0.0.13

ETDCtrlHelper.exe 11.0.0.7

reboot.

ETDCtrlHelper.exe should be running again (and not the ETDIntelligent.exe)

Strings from within ETDCtrl.exe (11.0.0.13, but the same is 11.0.0.1)

000000159E10   00000055AC10      0   ResetDriver
00000015A044   00000055AE44      0   \System32\Main.cpl
00000015CC30   00000055DA30      0   \Elantech\ETDCtrlHelper.exe
00000015CFC0   00000055DDC0      0   i8042prt
00000015D248   00000055E048      0   \Elantech\ETDGesture.exe
00000015D264   00000055E064      0   \Elantech\ETDIntelligent.exe

Theory :unsure:

the ETDCtrl.exe tries to find a suitable file in this order, for some reasons the current versions are not compatible, so it loads ETDIntelligent.exe.

jaclaz

P.S.: Other interesting set of strings:

00000015A07C   00000055AE7C      0   \ETDUI.cpl
00000015A094   00000055AE94      0   \ETDAniConf.exe
00000015A0B4   00000055AEB4      0   Warning
00000015A0C8   00000055AEC8      0   Can't find ETDAniConf or ETDUI.

Try adding to the mix the ETDUI.cpl (10.0.0.64) which is only in Z11542 and try deleting (actually better renaming it) the ETDAniConf.exe

Edited by jaclaz

11 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I tried substituting ETDCtrl.exe and ETDCtrlHelper.exe.
Now I'm getting "ETDCtrl.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close".
:(

Bah.

Start again from scratch.

Uninstall the driver completely.

Reinstall the Z115203-cab.

Overwrite all files ALREADY EXISTING (AND NOT add any new file) in the installed with the ones coming from 11.4.14.1 (tp118w7), including the .sys.

Namely you DO NOT want (for now) in the installed files:

1) ETDApi32.dll

2) ETDIntelligent.exe

3) Lenovo.exe

4) Lenovo_Win8.exe

The whole thing should be back to yesterday situation and work the same.

jaclaz