[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

I think the "setip.exe" install actually did whatever was necessary in the registry for the settings to be saved, something that installing via the INF never did.
After that it was just a matter of substituting the non-XP compatible files with ones which were.
The Asus control panel is very unresponsive, you have to hold the cursor over an option for several seconds before it become "live" and you can change it, and the videos don't work, but as once I've got the settings as I want (basically turning all the gesture and tapping options off!) I will almost certainly never change it again, so that's not an issue!
There is actually an "ETDSimpleUI.exe" control panel which was in one of the other drivers which works much better, I may see if I can substitute the Asus UI for that.
I will check out which files are redundant.
:)

OK, certainly

ETDAniConf.exe
ETDCtrlHelper.exe
ETDDeviceInformation.exe
ETDService.exe
ETDUn_inst.exe
ETDUninst.dll

Don't seem to be necessary for the correct operation of the driver, it's fine without them.
There is no "setup.exe" file in the Elantech folder

The ETDUn_inst.exe and ETDUninst.dll files may be needed if the driver is ever uninstalled perhaps?

:dubbio:

I'll try now eliminating the other dll files.

OK, here's the results with the DLLs -

ETDApix.dll needed
ETDCmds.dll needed
ETDFavorite,dll needed

ETD_DLL.dll not needed
ETDApi.dll not needed
ETDMcpl.dll not needed

So ignoring the avi files and control panel files, the only files which seem to be needed in the Elantech folder for normal operation of the driver are -

ETDApix.dll
ETDCmds.dll
ETDCtrl.exe
ETDFavorite.dll

:yes:

9 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Don't seem to be necessary for the correct operation of the driver, it's fine without them.
There is no "setup.exe" file in the Elantech folder

9 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

The ETDUn_inst.exe and ETDUninst.dll files may be needed if the driver is ever uninstalled perhaps?

Yep, though it has to be seen which .inf is in use (and that will be used by the uninstall), which more or less is the reason why - if possible - the goal is to find a way to install *somehow* (but "directly") the driver with a modified .inf and with the "right version" files from the beginning.
in this case, the ETDUninst.exe (and ETDUninst.dll) should work fine, because the "Uninstall" section of both .infs is seemingly the same.

There is actually an "ETDSimpleUI.exe" control panel which was in one of the other drivers which works much better, I may see if I can substitute the Asus UI for that.

Yes, that would be a nice addition, it is possible that the AsusUi.exe (which version are you using BTW) *needs* some particular version of the driver, surely profiling it (on my half@§§ed XP SP2 install) with Dependency Walker it has a lot of (unresolved) dependencies on .NET and other system files, that could be the case on your install as well.

You can also try (but as always not any guarantee) the ETDUI.cpl which is in the Z11509, Z11521 and Z11542.

OK, here's the results with the DLLs -

Good. :)

jaclaz

Have we tried just installing 11.4.14.1 normally, just substituting the INF from 11.5.20.3 and leaving all the other files as they are?
I almost seems as if that's what we've effectively done now by a more roundabout route.

Yes, that is interesting, I didn't realise that Windows 10 presumably doesn't allow setup programs to be run to install some devices.
Quite how a non-technical user is supposed to know that I have no idea!
I guess in future device manufacturers will have to change their installation mechanisms to take this into account.
One thing I have already noticed with Windows 10 is that device control panels are moving over to being Windows 10 Apps rather that traditional Windows Control Panel applets.

Anyway, slightly loathe though I am to uninstall what I've got now it's working, do you think my previous suggestion is worth a try?
If it works that's presumably all we need.
I can comment out of the INF all the files that we know now are not actually needed.

Wouldn't it be (longer, but more productive) do the tests already hinted?

The whole point is that - from your reports - when the setup.exe rectius setip.exe *something* happens that makes the driver magically working, whilst using the .inf that same magic does not happen (for *whatever* reasons).

So what is needed is to find out what is the difference between them, which again means tracing the one and the other install.

I am pretty much confident (I am an optimist, you know ;)) that on XP (not so much on 8.1 but it also has to be seen) we could try removing the reference to the etd.cat file (and the etd.cat file from the source folder) and try installing the thingy as an unsigned driver with a "customized/modified" .inf, but we first need anyway to have the installs traced and find the differences.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181362-xp-driver-for-amd-hd8180-graphics-and-elan-ps2-touchpad/?do=findComment&comment=1181792

Once we learn what (the heck) these differences are, we can reproduce them and thus create a working "custom" .inf.

Until then we are doing random (educated guesses but still wild guesses)  attempts that:
1) if they don't work, they don't work
2) if they work, they work (like the last, finally successsful "setip.exe") method BUT that does not add any useful addition to what we already know to the "final goal" (which is not only to have a working driver in XP - which we already have - but rather to understand how to have it in an easier, reproducible, automated/scripted way that does not involve the (complex) replacement of files from different versions of the driver, and does not (as the current method does) create a number of Registry entries that are corresponding to the Z115203-cab driver whilst the actually installed driver is the tptp118w7).

In other words, the current practical result is good (and "enough" as it simply works) but it is awkard, untidy and far from elegant or efficient.

jaclaz

Oops, sorry, missed these

20 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Have we tried just installing 11.4.14.1 normally, just substituting the INF from 11.5.20.3 and leaving all the other files as they are?
I almost seems as if that's what we've effectively done now by a more roundabout route.

44 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Anyway, slightly loathe though I am to uninstall what I've got now it's working, do you think my previous suggestion is worth a try?

No, that cannot possibly work because of the current driver signing.

Any file you replace in the source will make the Setup (or Setip) not working (and plainly installing via the .inf will result - until we trace and find the differences -  in a non-working driver, as we already tested).

jaclaz

Of course, understood, it was just a thought!

Yes, I agree that although I now have a fully working driver on XP, the method to get to that state is very unsatisfactory for future use.
The ideal outcome of all this should be to be able to pack up a driver which just works on XP without any "fiddling" needed.

Incidentally, I have now put a copy of ETDSimpleUI.exe into the XP Elantech folder, renamed to Asus_UI.exe, and that now launches when I double click the system tray icon.
I worked out which avi video files it needs in this configuration and copied them across too, so it's now fully working.
It performs much better than the Asus control panel!

So, to copy what you said before, I assume this is the next process, to be undertaken on Windows 8.1 -

1) clean the 8.1 system from traces of previous installations
2) install the Z115203-cab via Device Manager/Have disk .inf
3) verify that the settings changes are "volatile", reboot, etc.
4) start the trackwininstall and have it snapshot the system (in 2 phase mode)
5) make sure (better be safe than sorry) that the %program files%\Elantech\ folder is included in the snapshot and set the tool to not use MD5 for files (in the Options)
6) start the trackwininstall and have it snapshot the system (in 2 phase mode)
7) wait until it asks you to save the snapshot
8) install the Z115203-cab via its Setup.exe
9) re-launch the trackwinistall
10) check the differences (copying and saving them for later review)

If the above does not work, repeat, cleaning between the two installs (and thus have two differences files to be compared between them)

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

until we trace and find the differences

Well, yesterday i suggested a new tool (some say it's tracking is better than Revo) , which is/was currently offered with lifetime license...

But since Dave didn't seem interested, i removed the link. And now even my post is gone (den on cleaning duty?)...

P.S.

8 hours ago, jaclaz said:

- FingerPrinter (Synaptics)

- FingerPrinter (Elantech)

Where can i print a few spare fingers? Accidents happen, you know... lol

Edited by RainyShadow

My apologies @RainyShadow, I was so preoccupied at the time with following what @jaclazwas telling me to do, I completely overlooked that the software you were giving me the heads up on was free just for one day! I dug your deleted post out in my e-mail notifications so was able to still use the link, but of course the free offer has now expired. :(
When the driver actually worked without going on to the analysis stage of Jaclaz's instructions, I was so over the moon that I didn't even think that we'd still want to do the analysis!
Never mind, I downloaded Soft Organiser anyway, and it's only $20 if I buy it, which I'm quite happy to pay should it become necessary.
I'll try and see how it goes with TrackWinInstall first.
Thanks, and sorry again.
Cheers, Dave.

@Dave-H

Yep, that is the plan at the moment, BUT I would do that tracking on Windows XP first, now that we know that the Setip approach works.

I believe that the *something* that is missing is some entry in the Registry, and particularly in HKLM, but cannot really say for sure.

If it is, TrackWinInstall should be able to "catch" it.

The two possible issues might be:
1) the TrackWinInstall is a reliable old mule, but it is possible that for some reasons it doesn't run or doesn't run correctly in 8.1
2) the *whatever* the Setup does on 8.1 is - ohh - so slightly - different from what the same program renamed Setip does on XP

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz