[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

Trying the same driver on Windows 8.1, ETDCtrl.exe is running in the background, and so are ETDCtrlHelper.exe and ETDGesture.exe, whatever that it.
However, the driver still isn't working, even on 8.1!
It looks exactly the same as on XP, with an inactive icon in the system tray.
The Asus control panel still works (I now see that the Windows 8 version has an extra "Metro UI Gesture" tab) and on 8.1 the demo videos play, whereas on XP they don't.
Again the settings are remembered, but don't actually change the state of the touchpad.
Very strange, surely this driver should work on Windows 8.1, unless it's Windows 8 only, and not 8.1, which I wouldn't have thought was very likely?!
:dubbio:

Bummer! :(

In the meantime I found the Dragon's Lair :w00t: in a japanese FTP site which - hopefully - might allow another (different) Frankendriver mishmash.

I will throw these on the table (and quickly hide my hand behind my back :ph34r:), around 140/150 MB each

They are very, very near to each other, and "surely" the actual .exe's and .dll's in the first two "must be" XP compatible.

Additionally, they include a batch that runs the setup.exe with a .log, which may be of use.

But let's first try the original Frankendriver experiment.

jaclaz

Thanks, I'll give that one a try!
I did notice the batch file in the previous driver and tried using it to see if it would log what it did on the install.
Sadly the resulting log was very short indeed, and really only confirmed that the install was successful.
:)

No joy with that one I'm afraid.
:no:
It's a standard Elan driver rather than an Asus customised Elan driver, and again produces a tab in the Mouse Properties which misidentifies the touchpad as a "Standard PS/2 Mouse", which has never worked.
I am very puzzled as to why these drivers don't even work on 8.1, I'm sure that it's because they are not identifying the hardware correctly, even when it's apparently in the INF file.
:dubbio:

Version 10.5.9.0 from the Japanese site, exactly the same I'm afraid!
:(
I could try them all on XP, but I'm not hopeful that if they won't work on 8.1 that they will somehow on XP.
I think your "Frankendriver" approach is the only way to go now, in the hope of finding a driver which installs on XP, and uses the hardware correctly, by combining elements of two drivers!

11 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Well, now is just about time to try a transplant.

Make three directories:

1) \Samsung10
2) \Frankendriver1011
3) \Asus11

Copy to \Samsung10\ the contents of \Touchpad_4.9.0.0.ZIP\Elan\X86\

Copy again to \Frankendriver1011\ the contents of \Touchpad_4.9.0.0.ZIP\Elan\X86\

Copy to \Asus11\ the contents of  \20755834_3604917b6f0540c8262602489fffab4fff64986a.cab\

Now "merge" the contents of \Asus11\ to \Frankendriver1011\, i.e. copy to \Frankendriver1011\ all files in \Asus11\ that do not already exist in \Frankendriver1011\ (do not overwrite any file).

Copy (overwriting) from \Asus11\ only the ETD.cat, ETD.sys and ETD.inf to \Frankendriver1011\.

Try installing from \Frankendriver1011\ :dubbio:

jaclaz

OK, I tried that.
It apparently installed fine on 8.1, the mouse says it's a Elan Input Device, with driver 11.5.20.3.
There is no extra tab on the Mouse Properties.
ETDCtrl.exe ins running, and the "Elan Service" but nothing else.
The Asus control panels don't run.

I have a couple thoughts, if I might:

Firstly: could it be that your trackpad is somehow intermittently faulty?  Drivers which, by all accounts, should support your hardware and run on 8.1 aren't, and sometimes this can indicate that there's a problem in the hardware (or perhaps firmware) somewhere, in my experience.  Of course, this isn't necessarily so, and is consequently rather unlikely, but when all else fails, it's something to consider nevertheless.

Secondly: I know you're reluctant to redo your XP install, but have you considered upgrading to XP 64-bit (hereafter XP-64)?  API-wise, it shares a bit more in common with Vista than XP 32-bit (XP-32), and thus also seems to support some hardware that doesn't ordinarily support NT 5.x-based Windows. The reason for this is that to some limited degree, XP-64 can support some 64-bit Vista drivers, provided said Vista drivers don't use APIs that don't exist on XP-64 (which, while not as troublesome as with XP-32 and it's somewhat older codebase, can still be a problem).

Indeed, the reason this is possible is because the kernel of Windows Server 2003 (upon which XP-64 is based) was used as the basis of Windows Vista.

c

31 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks very much @daniel_k!
The second one looks like it's 64 bit only, so that wouldn't be any good, I need a 32 bit driver.
I will check out the first one though, it's not clear what architecture that is.
:yes:

Did you run the installer?
I've extracted the files by "running" the MSI in Administrative mode:
msiexec /a SetupTPDriver.msi

I've packed the drivers for you (the settings you need to "copy" from Windows 7/8.1, as the apps are heavily Vista+ dependant):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/d9hfe8xjw164837

1 hour ago, cc333 said:

I have a couple thoughts, if I might:

Firstly: could it be that your trackpad is somehow intermittently faulty?  Drivers which, by all accounts, should support your hardware and run on 8.1 aren't, and sometimes this can indicate that there's a problem in the hardware (or perhaps firmware) somewhere, in my experience.  Of course, this isn't necessarily so, and is consequently rather unlikely, but when all else fails, it's something to consider nevertheless.

Secondly: I know you're reluctant to redo your XP install, but have you considered upgrading to XP 64-bit (hereafter XP-64)?  API-wise, it shares a bit more in common with Vista than XP 32-bit (XP-32), and thus also seems to support some hardware that doesn't ordinarily support NT 5.x-based Windows. The reason for this is that to some limited degree, XP-64 can support some 64-bit Vista drivers, provided said Vista drivers don't use APIs that don't exist on XP-64 (which, while not as troublesome as with XP-32 and it's somewhat older codebase, can still be a problem).

Indeed, the reason this is possible is because the kernel of Windows Server 2003 (upon which XP-64 is based) was used as the basis of Windows Vista.

c

Thanks for the thoughts, but I think (hope) that it's very unlikely that the trackpad is physically faulty.
With the drivers that work on Windows 8.1, it works absolutely fine.
I'm afraid that I'm not so wedded to XP on this machine as I am on my main desktop.
If I had to do an OS update, it would be to Vista 32 rather than XP 64.
I still have the outstanding problem of a proper graphics driver, even if we do get the touchpad working properly, and I do have a graphics driver that I'm reasonably confident will work with the hardware on Vista, XP 64 I'm not so sure about!

1 hour ago, daniel_k said:

Did you run the installer?
I've extracted the files by "running" the MSI in Administrative mode:
msiexec /a SetupTPDriver.msi

I've packed the drivers for you (the settings you need to "copy" from Windows 7/8.1, as the apps are heavily Vista+ dependant):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/d9hfe8xjw164837

OK, I've downloaded the files, but it's just the bare AsusTP.sys installation, with no control panel files.
I've installed many versions of that on XP and they all appear to install and work fine, but they do not allow the behaviour of the touchpad to be changed, even when the registry entries are added. Without the control files also running, I'm afraid this does not work, and that's been the whole problem, finding a version of AsusTP.sys or ETD.sys that will actually interface properly with the hardware, and accept input from the touchpad control panels, either using a UI or by directly editing the registry.
I've only found three versions out of the dozen or so driver versions I've tried (two Asus and one Elan) which actually even work on Windows 8.1, and none of course which will work on XP.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

Did you try to install the Elan "10.5.9.0" driver from jaclaz?

I've got na idea. Download this:
http://ftp.tekwind.co.jp/pub/asustw/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/SmartGesture_Win7_64_Z1027.zip

If you run setup, does it proceed with the installation?

If so, I already have a fix for the missing API calls, you just need to replace some files.

I did try that driver, it also didn't work on 8.1.
I didn't try it on XP, but I can if you like!

Your new download, should I try it on XP or 8.1?
We must be careful not to get confused here.
Recently we've been concentrating on finding drivers that work on 8.1 that can then possibly be ported to XP.
I think if a driver won't work on 8.1, there's very little hope of it working on XP.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition