Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


daniel_k

Member
  • Content Count

    78
  • Donations

    $0.00 
  • Joined

  • Days Won

    2

daniel_k last won the day on August 8

daniel_k had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

62 Excellent

1 Follower

About daniel_k

Profile Information

  • OS
    Windows 7 x64
  • Country

Flags

  • Country Flag

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Just finished testing my fully updated install of Vista Ultimate x64, including build 6003 updates from Aug 2020: It seems that Microsoft fixed the timer issue, as seen above. Unfortunately, there are still random issues, specially with UAC prompts: permissions are not properly granted. Even so, it's clearly much more stable.
  2. For Starter, some updates won't install, as some features are not supported, such as Dreamscene and other Ultimate extras.
  3. You need to do some tests. I'm not sure if that DLL is also used for connection purposes or local encryption only. In the mean time, I would search for any other registry setting that changes DLL search path.
  4. @Dylan Cruz Pretty sure you have a CWDIllegalInDllSearch registry entry. http://web.archive.org/web/20141212220002/support.microsoft.com/kb/2264107 Probably it was added to SP4, as it isn't enabled by default.
  5. @Dylan Cruz I have no idea what is going wrong on your system. I've just copied dssenh.dll to the Office folder. That's all.
  6. Yes, it works. For me, it's easier to get it working on a fully patched (POSReady) XP than a clean install. @Dave-H, one last try: - stop the Automatic updates service - delete C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ScanFile and rename C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore and C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download - restart the Automatic updates service - run the MS script
  7. Actually, it shouldn't be installed. You are just "providing" an older and working copy of the DLL for Office to work with.
  8. @Dave-H and @Dylan Cruz I've fixed it! Found an easy way to fix Office 2010 and not break TLS updates. Get KB3081320 from WU Catalog, extract it and copy dssenh.dll to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14. That's it.
  9. Yes, gave up and tried the MS script. What about restarting Windows after renaming the folder, leaving the service disabled? I'm running an untouched ENU XP SP3.
  10. @Dylan Cruz Thanks for finding out the offending updates. Just got a list of official XP SP3 updates, will download and unpack them all. Then see what was the last official update including the files in KB4019276 and KB4459091.
  11. @Dave-H Couldn't get WUMT working. However, the script on this article worked on a clean install of XP SP3: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wua_sdk/using-wua-to-scan-for-updates-offline Save the text as a .vbs file (ie: wuscan.vbs), copy wsusscn2.cab to c:\ or change its path in the script, then run in a Command Prompt: cscript wuscan.vbs If it doesn't work, try to: - restart Windows - stop Automatic Updates service, delete C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore and re-enable the service. If it says Searching for updates... then just wait, it's doing its job.
  12. Dave, your suspicions are correct. Installed the original SP3 release of XP, then Office 2010 with all updates and replaced MSO.DLL with the one from KB4092483. Saving an encrypted Word document (docx) does work. On the other hand, installing Office 2010 with no updates on a fully patched (including POSReady updates) XP SP3 installation, gives the same error when saving a password protected docx. What I've tried so far: - remove POSReady key, does NOT work - applied revoked certs update on original SP3, does NOT break encryption - applied root certs update on original SP3, does NOT break encryption I strongly believe that Microsoft broke encryption support on POSReady updates as Office is not supported on that SKU. Extending XP support for free with no ill effects? No, there is no free lunch. Someone with update lists need test XP SP3 with official updates up to April 2014 and test encryption on Office 2010. Then install POSReady updates (one by one ) to identify which one breaks Office.
  13. Let me clarify a few things. as I've spent several days creating this: - .msu files can't be used to install many updates at a time: those packages include an update scanner (wsusscan.cab) to check applicability, which is run before installing every update and gets slow and slow over time. Svchost also consumes more and more RAM until your system crashes. - .cab files are installed immediately, the check for applicability occurs during install, thus is faster and reliable. - some updates have pre-requisites that require a restart. Because of this, I've split the updates in 3 parts.
×
×
  • Create New...